There are 175 users in the forums

The Official Lord Fangio thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Why is Saleh here instead of Fangio? WTF Kyle?

Fangio was under contract when Kyle was hired and the Bears declined to let him out?

I thought he was available this offseason?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Fangio was under contract when Kyle was hired and the Bears declined to let him out?

I thought he was available this offseason?
No he wasn't.

After the whole mess with Tomsula I'm still not sure he would have returned regardless.
[ Edited by Hopper on Oct 24, 2018 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
No he wasn't.

After the whole mess with Tomsula I'm still not sure he would have returned regardless.

He was. Vic Fangio's contract expired on January 9, and he was free to negotiate with any team. He was resigned by Matt Nagy a week later. It was a brief period, but he was absolutely available.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Hopper:
No he wasn't.

He was. Vic Fangio's contract expired on January 9, and he was free to negotiate with any team. He was resigned by Matt Nagy a week later. It was a brief period, but he was absolutely available.

IIRC, there were rumors back then too that claimed he was interested in coming back but after Saleh's last 8 games, it sounded like the FO punted.

**edit***

Found it.

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/10/the-fate-of-vic-fangio-after-2017-is-looking-cloudier-than-ever/

"IF THE BEARS DEFENSE CONTINUES TO PLAY WELL, MAYBE HIS NAME WILL BE MORE POPULAR COME JANUARY. FANGIO LIKELY WOULD HAVE HEADED TO SAN FRANCISCO WITH KYLE SHANAHAN IN THE OFFSEASON HAD THE BEARS NOT BLOCKED HIM FROM TALKING TO THE 49ERS. IT'S PREMATURE TO SAY WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN THIS SEASON ENDS."

The rumor that Fangio was interested in returning to San Francisco wasn't the first buzz of its kind. Back in December of 2016 Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Tribune published a piece indicating a rift between the defensive coordinator and head coach John Fox. Something that centered around "philosophical differences." Many thought Fox would part ways with his defensive coordinator.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM ]

No, the HC was fired so he and all of that staff were free to negotiate elsewhere.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 24, 2018 at 3:45 PM ]
we should tank on D to get him.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
we should tank on D to get him.

Too late...Naggy instantly signed him to a 3 year deal.

#AlwaysTheBridesmaid
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yeah yeah yeah whatever....don't get me wrong, I liked him when he was here (most of the time). However, if he were to be the DC here, he wouldn't be able to do s**t! He'd flip his wig with this much garbage and he'd immediately turn into a smelly, old, wet fart (he'll be there soon anyway)!!
Originally posted by LVJay:
Yeah yeah yeah whatever....don't get me wrong, I liked him when he was here (most of the time). However, if he were to be the DC here, he wouldn't be able to do s**t! He'd flip his wig with this much garbage and he'd immediately turn into a smelly, old, wet fart (he'll be there soon anyway)!!

LOL...colorful.
Does Vic have a 29 year old son in coaching at any level? We could hire him as DC and go all in with the legacy young guns.

Originally posted by NCommand:

No, the HC was fired so he and all of that staff were free to negotiate elsewhere.

No that's not how it works. Most the time all the staff is released, but not always. The staffs contracts are with the team, not the HC and not dependent of the continued employment of the HC.

Also Naggy got hired this off, not last. So Fangio was indeed under contract when Kyle was hired, as my original statement said
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 26, 2018 at 12:20 PM ]

No that's not how it works. Most the time all the staff is released, but not always. The staffs contracts are with the team, not the HC and not dependent of the continued employment of the HC.

Also Naggy got hired this off, not last. So Fangio was indeed under contract when Kyle was hired, as my original statement said

Say what?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000990079/article/bears-defensive-dominance-driven-by-return-of-vic-fangio

"Fangio is arguably Nagy's most important hire. His presence meant one less thing for a first-year head coach to concern himself with. Fangio is widely respected for fielding units that are smart and disciplined.
Said Mack: "He's an evil genius. The guy knows the game in and out and he knows his players, and ultimately he wants the best for us out there on the the field so he puts us in positions to make plays."
Originally posted by jcs:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000990079/article/bears-defensive-dominance-driven-by-return-of-vic-fangio

"Fangio is arguably Nagy's most important hire. His presence meant one less thing for a first-year head coach to concern himself with. Fangio is widely respected for fielding units that are smart and disciplined.
Said Mack: "He's an evil genius. The guy knows the game in and out and he knows his players, and ultimately he wants the best for us out there on the the field so he puts us in positions to make plays."

Originally posted by jcs:

I'd like to have him back.
Share 49ersWebzone