LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

The Official Lord Fangio thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Dude deserves an HC gig. Broncos, Browns, Packers, and Ravens would be perfect fits.
If he and jed kiss and make up, definitely promote Saleh to lead director of ticket sales.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
If he and jed kiss and make up, definitely promote Saleh to lead director of ticket sales.

I hope Fangio gets a HC gig. He's deserves his shot.
Oh man, I've got a juicy rumor for you, NC. Greg Papa on 95.7 today said he heard a rumor that the 49ers attempted to trade a draft pick to the Bears for Vic Fangio's rights early in the offseason after John Fox got fired.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 20, 2018 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Oh man, I've got a juicy rumor for you, NC. Greg Papa on 95.7 today said he heard a rumor that the 49ers attempted to trade a draft pick to the Bears for Vic Fangio's right early in the offseason after John Fox got fired.

I totally effing believe it. Fans thought I was crazy. Did you hear Shanahan's recent presser talking about how similar they both are in philosophy. Vic was Kyle's dude the second he was hired! I'm still so pissed the Bears blocked him.

But wait, that doesn't make sense...I could see that in 2017 but last year, he had a small window where he was free after Fox was fired but Nagy (new hire) met with him and quickly locked him up to a new 3 year deal. How did Pace pull this off as Fangio interviewed for the HC job too.

I want to know, what really happened in that window.

Originally posted by NCommand:
I totally effing believe it. Fans thought I was crazy. Did you hear Shanahan's recent presser talking about how similar they both are in philosophy. Vic was Kyle's dude the second he was hired! I'm still so pissed the Bears blocked him.

But wait, that doesn't make sense...I could see that in 2017 but last year, he had a small window where he was free after Fox was fired but Nagy (new hire) met with him and quickly locked him up to a new 3 year deal. How did Pace pull this off as Fangio interviewed for the HC job too.

I want to know, what really happened in that window.

Here's a link to the segment. It starts at 31:00. Greg Papa is well connected in the league and isn't the type to leak rumors unless someone in the league tipped him off.

https://957thegame.radio.com/media/audio-channel/afternoon-delight-12-19-18-hour-1

What's the connection between Kyle and Fangio? I remember when the rumor initially came out after Kyle was hired that he was pursuing Fangio. I was surprised to hear that Fangio was also amenable to joining Kyle's staff if he was let out of his contract.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 20, 2018 at 7:53 PM ]
Here's a link to the segment. It starts at 31:00. Greg Papa is well connected in the league and isn't the type to leak rumors unless someone in the league tipped him off.

https://957thegame.radio.com/media/audio-channel/afternoon-delight-12-19-18-hour-1

What's the connection between Kyle and Fangio? I remember when the rumor initially came out after Kyle was hired that he was pursuing Fangio. I was surprised to hear that Fangio was also amenable to joining Kyle's staff if he was let out of his contract.

Damn dude...I loved that conversation. My guess is the 6th rounder was extra motivation to release Vic in 2017 because the Bears initially denied it. SOB. I would have given up a 3rd at least because Fox and Fangio did not get alone and that might have been enough. This FO seriously needs to get some f**king balls. That same tepid approach not only lost them Fangio but Mack. They are flourishing and we have Cassius Marsh and Mr. Clean.

I don't have the insight into personal connection but I think their weekly game planning for opponents is similar and there seems to be a mutual respect for one another.

Here's the interview where Kyle talks about Fangio: https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/122154-transcript-shanahan-discusses-khalil-rookies-mcglinchey-deforest-buckners/

Is Vic unique in that sense, the way he disguises coverages as far as coordinators go?

"Vic's just unique in that everything is tied together. Whatever you think you have on him, it could be good, but they have a counter off of it. It's very, very similar to our offense. There's a scheme you've got to run to stop a certain play. Whatever scheme you do to stop that play, you opened up another play. That's really how their defense is. They're going to have a defense that completely shuts down a play. Then, you've got to go to the next play and if you hit them on it, they're going to adjust something and that play is going to be over very fast. So, you've just got to keep playing the game within the game."

Along those lines, what are the characteristics of a Vic Fangio defense? What do you know you're going up against?

"It's very sound. It's not risky. They play sound, but they keep everything boxed in. They're very good in their front seven. They have the personnel to do it and the scheme to do it. With their edge setters, they have big guys inside who don't have to move at all because of how well they set the edge on the outside, which helps your linebackers not have to be in much space. And they play physical. They've always had a pass rush. They do different ways of it. They do have some pressures and stuff, but they rarely run pressures that makes their coverages vulnerable."

They have some continuity at the coordinator position now. Do you see that studying this year versus when you played them last year for example? Do they seem faster, more well-versed in what they're doing?

"I thought they were very good last year. There weren't many holes in their defense last year. It was tough to get a big play on them. They had some good players. They've always had a good scheme, and then they added an elite player. Their whole defense has played in this scheme another year. They've stayed healthy, which makes everyone get better, which I thought they were close to one of the better one's last year. Then, you add in a guy like [Chicago Bears LB] Khalil [Mack] and the results are pretty predictable."

Kyle sounds so jelly about Mack.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 20, 2018 at 8:17 PM ]
It might be Fangio's time.

Oh so now they are chasing after Vic after he got Khalil Mack. So who's going to give Vic another Khalil Mac...

Going to Denver makes more sense to Vic, they already have Von Miller and the other new guy. Can't remember his name right now.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM ]

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Oh so now they are chasing after Vic after he got Khalil Mack. So who's going to give Vic another Khalil Mac...

Going to Denver makes more sense to Vic, they already have Von Miller and the other new guy. Can't remember his name right now.

If the Broncos can land him, I'd say Miller and Chubb is an even better tandem than what he's got in Chicago.

If the Broncos can land him, I'd say Miller and Chubb is an even better tandem than what he's got in Chicago.

Fangio in Denver would be nasty. That D is primed to be dominate. Wolfe and Gotsis with Chubb and Miller and Harris and Marshall. The fans may hate it cause they want a offensive guru but it would be a great hire.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Fangio in Denver would be nasty. That D is primed to be dominate. Wolfe and Gotsis with Chubb and Miller and Harris and Marshall. The fans may hate it cause they want a offensive guru but it would be a great hire.

If they hire Vic, they will most likely try to get Gase as hands off OC. If Gase willing to be back in that role again.

I hope Vic gets a chance as HC, it's long way overdue. I just don't see Vic as HC type but never know. At least give him a chance. Wonder if he interviewed badly before lol
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 31, 2018 at 10:42 AM ]
If they hire Vic, they will most likely try to get Gase as hands off OC. If Gase willing to be back in that role again.

Lol never gonna happen. Gase was screwed over by Elway and there's a strong dislike.

It's about time. He's a no-nonsense type of coach too like the good ones. I can see it.
Share 49ersWebzone