LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 360 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not surprising. The concussion issue is the nfl's biggest issue. It's real. They are terrified of somebody taking a big hit and being killed. They don't want anymore Ryan Shazier moments. That's why you see them embracing flag football so much harder now. Kick off's will be the next thing to go. Y'all better get used to it or watch another sport.

Agreed...the spotlight on the concussion issue is having more and more of an affect all through the different levels of football down to youth/Pop Warner. I live out in the 'burbs here in the Bay Area and I coach youth soccer and softball...I've heard from more parents than I ever have that they won't let their children play tackle football and instead they have them play flag football or a completely different sport such as baseball, basketball, soccer, or lacrosse (a sport that seems to be growing here on the West Coast - it wasn't even an option seemingly around 15-20 years ago). I worry about the future of tackle football - the future of the NFL in particular...will the sport be around in 20-30 years from now? I hope so but maybe some changes such as this have to be made.
It's easy for any of us to say the new rule is bad...but tell that to the thousands of NFL players dealing with serious concussion issues for the rest of their lives.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's easy for any of us to say the new rule is bad...but tell that to the thousands of NFL players dealing with serious concussion issues for the rest of their lives.

They know the risk when they signing up to play.
Don't dip the helmet when tackling. Easier said than done. It's worth a try if it can lessen the CTE
This rule is a joke. Happens way too much. It's a natural play for defensive players. Are they going to throw this flag 30 times a game? What the hell is "may" be disqualified? That is up to the ref? Da fuq?
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
This. I remember those games and games before going back into the '80s. Players just didn't tackle that way...didn't lower their helmets, didn't make heat-seeking/spearing type of tackles. Look at one of our team's all-time best players on D, Lott...he stuck guys but did it a lot with his shoulder and not spearing with his helmet. He was a master at timing the tackle just right, using leverage, and hitting guys hard with his shoulder and/or just wrapping up with force.
They had better technique and they hit with helmets far less, but you're kidding yourself if you are going to say they didnt spear at all. Ronnie did his part as well.
This happens on every play. It's too broad. I could see targeting the other head or helmet. But my God lowering your helmet generally on any play? Have these rule makers ever played football? This happens on every single play. You are running full speed straight ahead and you lean in to make a tackle. It's really pretty hard to do that without some lean or lowering of the helmet. This is just completely unrealistic.

Good thing the xfl is coming back... The NFL is getting progressively worse every year.
Not surprising. The concussion issue is the nfl's biggest issue. It's real. They are terrified of somebody taking a big hit and being killed. They don't want anymore Ryan Shazier moments. That's why you see them embracing flag football so much harder now. Kick off's will be the next thing to go. Y'all better get used to it or watch another sport.

Agreed...the spotlight on the concussion issue is having more and more of an affect all through the different levels of football down to youth/Pop Warner. I live out in the 'burbs here in the Bay Area and I coach youth soccer and softball...I've heard from more parents than I ever have that they won't let their children play tackle football and instead they have them play flag football or a completely different sport such as baseball, basketball, soccer, or lacrosse (a sport that seems to be growing here on the West Coast - it wasn't even an option seemingly around 15-20 years ago). I worry about the future of tackle football - the future of the NFL in particular...will the sport be around in 20-30 years from now? I hope so but maybe some changes such as this have to be made.

Adults make their own decisions as to whether or not they want to play, these rules are garbage. If you're worried about getting hurt, don't play. It's as simple as that.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
How does a RB/WR/ball carrier run low (to avoid contact and maintain forward momentum) but NOT lower their helmet? This is asinine. These pencil-neck geeks coming up with these rules have probably never played the game.

Originally posted by Furlow:
How does a RB/WR/ball carrier run low (to avoid contact and maintain forward momentum) but NOT lower their helmet? This is asinine. These pencil-neck geeks coming up with these rules have probably never played the game.

it's clear they want NFL to be a pitch and catch league with no defense, running the ball or hard hits.
Football was almost banned at the beginning of the 20th century. President Teddy Roosevelt was instrumental in saving the game. In today's game you can't hit below the knees or above the shoulders, you can't make a defensive play on an offensive player going over the middle. Can't lead with the helmet. It's no longer the game I grew up with, and maybe it has become too violent and the players have become lethal projectiles. Former safety Bernard Pollard (nicknamed Bone-crusher) said the NFL will be gone in 30 years. At the time people laughed and labeled him a quack, no one is laughing anymore.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

Adults make their own decisions as to whether or not they want to play, these rules are garbage. If you're worried about getting hurt, don't play. It's as simple as that.

More and more are choosing not to. If we want to continue watching the absolute best athletes compete on a football field something has to change. If defensive players are expected to keep their head up during the tackle, then why not the offensive guys to. Also if a player targets another with a helmet to helmet hit they greatly increase the chance of knocking the other player out of the game. They should be ejected under certain circumstances.
  • thl408
That's it, I'm not watching anymore. Naw jk I'll still watch.

Will never be flagged.
Share 49ersWebzone