There are 141 users in the forums

New rule banning lowering of the helmet

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=$2Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
another way the refs can manipulate the game

This

Yup, this is a part of the NFL rigging system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=$2
[ Edited by glorydayz on Mar 27, 2018 at 6:22 PM ]
  • Stud
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not surprising. The concussion issue is the nfl's biggest issue. It's real. They are terrified of somebody taking a big hit and being killed. They don't want anymore Ryan Shazier moments. That's why you see them embracing flag football so much harder now. Kick off's will be the next thing to go. Y'all better get used to it or watch another sport.

Football has become so watered down that this wouldn't be so hard to do.
[ Edited by Stud on Mar 27, 2018 at 6:26 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Another 10 to 15 extra flags on the field! More chances for the referees to manipulate the game.
Gonna be a lot of running backs getting flagged
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by susweel:
The end is near. RIP NFL

Agreed
Agree. Here in Illinois they are considering banning youth football for kids less than 12 As a coach I can tell you this will cause even more injuries.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
would it still be a penalty if you hit or tackle a guy with the top of the face mask (around the forehead)?
This rule is going to blow up on them. Especially if they roll with how college has been (but this sounds more intense too). Can't tell you how many times I've seen a player get wrongfully ejected. Sorry NFL you can teach all the form you want , but you can't adjust the laws of physics and science. Unreal. I feel bad for all the safeties and Linebackers.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by susweel:
The end is near. RIP NFL

Agreed
Agree. Here in Illinois they are considering banning youth football for kids less than 12 As a coach I can tell you this will cause even more injuries.

They're doing that in California too. A bunch of nut job senators have a rally cry going to ban all pop warner football until high school.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
This. I remember those games and games before going back into the '80s. Players just didn't tackle that way...didn't lower their helmets, didn't make heat-seeking/spearing type of tackles. Look at one of our team's all-time best players on D, Lott...he stuck guys but did it a lot with his shoulder and not spearing with his helmet. He was a master at timing the tackle just right, using leverage, and hitting guys hard with his shoulder and/or just wrapping up with force.
They had better technique and they hit with helmets far less, but you're kidding yourself if you are going to say they didnt spear at all. Ronnie did his part as well.

No one said they didn't spear at all back then - yet for some reason you're referencing that I did. Lott wasn't perfect in his tackling to avoid this - no one is - but if you really think he "did his part" in spearing guys then you didn't watch him closely every game he played. More like a Rodney Harrison did his part. You and I will have to agree to disagree.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Mar 27, 2018 at 9:24 PM ]
Another stupid arbitrary rule.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not surprising. The concussion issue is the nfl's biggest issue. It's real. They are terrified of somebody taking a big hit and being killed. They don't want anymore Ryan Shazier moments. That's why you see them embracing flag football so much harder now. Kick off's will be the next thing to go. Y'all better get used to it or watch another sport.

BasketFootball here we come!
No one said they didn't spear at all back then - yet for some reason you're referencing that I did. Lott wasn't perfect in his tackling to avoid this - no one is - but if you really think he "did his part" in spearing guys then you didn't watch him closely every game he played. More like a Rodney Harrison did his part. You and I will have to agree to disagree.

Players just didn't tackle that way...didn't lower their helmets, didn't make heat-seeking/spearing type of tackles
gee, I wonder what is this 'reason' I'm referencing that you did. maybe because you actually said this ?
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Mar 27, 2018 at 10:26 PM ]
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

Players just didn't tackle that way...didn't lower their helmets, didn't make heat-seeking/spearing type of tackles
gee, I wonder what is this 'reason' I'm referencing that you did. maybe because you actually said this ?

It was a general statement, which I thought was obviously implied. I wasn't literally saying "nobody ever, at all lowered their helmets" back then. Of course it happened. I figured my general statement would be taken as just that...and not taken literally. Anyway, getting off course and don't want to derail this thread.
This is a good thing for the game. There will be an adjustment period, but this was the hard normative line needed to change things. And things had to change. I love football, but I don't want to have to justify the human costs to myself. Junior Seau. Patrick Henry. OJ Simpson. Can't ruin lives for a game. We should be able to enjoy football completely with no moral blind spots or reservations.
This is the worst written rule ever created. Penalty on every tackle.
Share 49erswebzone