Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 932 users in the forums

WR Pierre Garcon thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
We way overpaid for him

We aren't a very good team. Contracts inflate every season. It's not about whether player x is worth 16 mil in 1 season, it's about if that's the going rate at the time. Nobody is worth these crazy salaries these days. But it's also not 1998 anymore. Your 5 mil per season player back then is easily worth 3 times that in today's money.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
How has Garcon played against teams like the Seahawks defense? Not that I expect him to light them on fire...but I hope he's done well against them.

Him and Kurley are VERY reliable WRs for a QB.

This should also make Kirk want to be on this team even more...I'm sure Kirk and Garcon formed a tight relationship.

We still better add a Big Fast WR like Cory Davis. Straight Game Breaker!

Agreed, just need our ZWR...Mike Williams, Corey Davis or Britt, Pryor or Jeffrey.

No to Williams/Britt/Jeffrey..... IMO they are not fast enough. I want a game breaker with a second gear.

Worse case scenario... I'd give up the size from those for the legit speed of John Ross.

If Kyle got Ross... He'd have his Desean Jackson + Garçon combo again.

But I still want Cory Davis first and foremost.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:58 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,407
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
How has Garcon played against teams like the Seahawks defense? Not that I expect him to light them on fire...but I hope he's done well for them.

Him and Kurley are VERY reliable WRs for a QB.

This should also make Kirk want to be on this team even more...I'm sure Kirk and Garcon formed a tight relationship.

We still better add a Big Fast WR like Cory Davis. Straight Game Breaker!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
How has Garcon played against teams like the Seahawks defense? Not that I expect him to light them on fire...but I hope he's done well against them.

Him and Kurley are VERY reliable WRs for a QB.

This should also make Kirk want to be on this team even more...I'm sure Kirk and Garcon formed a tight relationship.

We still better add a Big Fast WR like Cory Davis. Straight Game Breaker!

Agreed, just need our ZWR...Mike Williams, Corey Davis or Britt, Pryor or Jeffrey.

No to Williams/Britt/Jeffrey..... IMO they are not fast enough. I want a game breaker with a second gear.

Worse case scenario... I'd give up the size from those for the legit speed of John Ross.

If Kyle got Ross... He'd have his Desean Jackson + Garçon combo again.

But I still want Cory Davis first and foremost.

Kyle never had D Jax
Lotta love for a 30yr old WR with 3 TDs last season. Career high of 6 tds for a season.

Not a franchise saver, but a solid complimentary piece.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
stop complaining. The 49ers had a billion dollars worth of cap room. The deal is front loaded meaning that they will be little dead money at the back end of the deal.

This
Originally posted by cools:
I thought the Z/Flanker was often the "go to" possession type, I'd think Garcon would fit that role

OP: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/187944-2017-team-information-needs/

WCO Positions/Formations: Courtesy of Niners816
Kyle Shanahan's WCO - ESPN
Traditionally the Z is the #1 WR, but Kyle did an outstanding job of moving Julio Jones around to all the spots (Z, X, Zebra/E/Eagle). I guess that's the ultimate goal to find a true number 1 that can play them all. As far as our personnel, Torrey is primarily an X. His speed is his main asset and that's needed to function as the split end. Again, a Julio Jones can do it all much like Jerry could so you could put him anywhere. Jeremy Kerley is a Slot/E/Eagle/Zebra and if we find a true Flanker or #1, he could be deadly.

ESPN's article above reviews Kyle's favorite plays. It featured 11 pass plays. Above are the primary, or in some cases, secondary receivers based strictly on position...Zebra is a Slot WR in 11 or 01 personnel situations. Y is the online TE. The article refers to Slot as W:

1) Z
2) Z/Zebra
3) Y/Zebra
4) HB
5) Z
6) Z
7) HB/X
8) X/HB
9) Z
10) Zebra
11) Y
Originally posted by Jcool:
Wont that make him the 2nd highest paid (per year) WR in the NFL?

16 mil in the 1st year, not per year. Its frontloaded.
SF REDSKINS LEHS GOOOOOOOO!!!!
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
We way overpaid for him

That remains to be seen, but people who think the 49ers are going to be signing a bunch of big name free agents and NOT having to overpay for them are being delusional. This is what happens when you've been a really bad team, you've got to offer more $$$$, especially if you're a really bad team in California with the wacky state income tax handicap.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
We way overpaid for him

Haven't even seen the real breakdown of his contract yet, though you're probably right he is getting overpaid LOL. Still, totally solid FA pickup.

Yeah relax man it most likely will come as a big signing bonus & the rest will be part of the cap. Did u forget we still have Paarag at the helm? rat or not the dude knows how to make the salary cap his b***h.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
But I still want Cory Davis first and foremost.

This. A credible #1 WR prospect to go along with Garcon. Draft Evan Engram as a TE to pair up with McDonald. Suddenly there's quality targets all over.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
No to Williams/Britt/Jeffrey..... IMO they are not fast enough. I want a game breaker with a second gear.

Worse case scenario... I'd give up the size from those for the legit speed of John Ross.

If Kyle got Ross... He'd have his Desean Jackson + Garçon combo again.

But I still want Cory Davis first and foremost.

Speed is not a main requirement for the Z (Jerry Rice). That said, Kyle adds speed by finding players like Taylor Gabriel to move around like chess pieces as well. He recently brought in two 4.3 guys in DeAndre Carter & Rashad Ross.
Corey Davis is the easy choice, but highly unlikely we get him. I'll take a corps of kerley, rodgers, Garcon, Pryor, juju, Reynolds, switzer (as if that's any more realistic lol) good mix of speed, size, and route savy
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:05 AM ]
Adding Corey Davis would be awesome, but that would require a trade down from 2nd overall, or a trade up from 34th overall.
Love the move. Really solid football player. A very good, veteran, professional WR which we badly needed
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone