LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Jabrill Peppers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:
Actually he has been good lately.

Good is relative. He looked like an absolute bust the first few months of the season but has been coming around a little by little. He's still terrible in coverage but has been much better against the run. Cleveland would have been better off had they opted to go with Buddha Baker who has looked terrific for the Cardinals.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Actually he has been good lately.

Good is relative. He looked like an absolute bust the first few months of the season but has been coming around a little by little. He's still terrible in coverage but has been much better against the run. Cleveland would have been better off had they opted to go with Buddha Baker who has looked terrific for the Cardinals.

Baker has been a backup most of the year. So clearly he has not looked "terrific" or else he would of been starting sooner. Has he looked GOOD recently yes... But so has Peppers. Also Peppers has never played FS before this year. He should be starting at SS but Cleveland is being Cleveland.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM ]
Baker has been a backup most of the year. So clearly he has not looked "terrific" or else he would of been starting sooner. Has he looked GOOD recently yes... But so has Peppers. Also Peppers has never played FS before this year. He should be starting at SS but Cleveland is being Cleveland.

Baker has been a backup largely due to the guys in front of him having seniority and Bruce Arians being stubborn about how he handles rookies. He's been the best safety on their roster this season. Peppers hasn't looked good in coverage period. He looks like he should be playing one of the LB positions and not safety.
Peppers is bad in coverage, and with how far off the line they are playing, by the time he sprints up to help in the run game, he doesn't have the ability to redirect.
I dont think any 49er fans have a reason to hate against him .. I was impressed with Jabril after the combine. Wed have to snoop cleveland forums imo.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Baker has been a backup largely due to the guys in front of him having seniority and Bruce Arians being stubborn about how he handles rookies. He's been the best safety on their roster this season. Peppers hasn't looked good in coverage period. He looks like he should be playing one of the LB positions and not safety.

Never been high on him, still not high on him. Browns messed this pick up...again

Its one of the main gripes people have about Arians. He doesn't always give rookies enough responsibility, even if they are clearly outplaying the guys in front of him.

Based on what I've seen, the Browns would be quite a bit better off had they gone with Baker who has looked downright sensational at times. Ever since Branch went down, Budda has been killing it. Many Cardinals fans are happily pretending that he was their 1st round pick and Reddick was actually a 2nd rounder.
Its one of the main gripes people have about Arians. He doesn't always give rookies enough responsibility, even if they are clearly outplaying the guys in front of him.

Based on what I've seen, the Browns would be quite a bit better off had they gone with Baker who has looked downright sensational at times. Ever since Branch went down, Budda has been killing it. Many Cardinals fans are happily pretending that he was their 1st round pick and Reddick was actually a 2nd rounder.

So you're telling me the Browns made a bad decision? I don't believe it.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Peppers does not have a coverage physique.
Not as bad as the 4.29 guy from usc, but in the same boat.
More rb genes than db genes.

Originally posted by xcfan:

Ye his shoulders are extremely broad and he is top heavy. He is built more like a RB than DB
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by xcfan:

Ye his shoulders are extremely broad and he is top heavy. He is built more like a RB than DB

I dunno... He looked f**king great in DB drills to me at the combine. Just looks like his game was best suited for the college game. Needs to play the Bob Sanders roll in base and slot in nickel IMO but just an educated guess lol.
I'm back.Tisk,Tisk,Tisk... Still hating on my boy. Huh, silly rabbits.

"Jackson had nothing but praise on making the transition in positions between his college days at Michigan to the Browns.

"He has (handled it well)," Jackson said. "He has been outstanding, as a lot of these guys have. A lot of these young guys, they are grateful and thankful for the opportunity. They are learning in their way in the National Football League and what works for them. I commend the men in that room because they come here every week with the right mindset and with the right attitude to work, to get better, to do anything they can to go win a football game. That is what we have to continue to try to do."

Jackson said that he hasn't seen Peppers get down or discouraged with the way his season has gone so far.
"Who? Jabrill? He is not that kind of guy," Jackson said. "We will slap him on the butt and tell him, 'Let's go,' but I have never seen Jabrill down about anything that way. He plays a little different position than quarterback."

https://scout.com/nfl/browns/Article/Jabrill-Peppers-to-finally-play-a-position-hes-more-suited-to-112566772

Whats all this negative talk still???????????

I mean it's not a great season but it's only going to help him later playing out of position Phoenix. Imho
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Dec 23, 2017 at 7:41 AM ]
"The Cleveland Browns did not have enough talent in their secondary to allow Jabrill Peppers to play strong safety.

Derrick Kindred and Peppers were the team's two best safeties. Unfortunately, they are both more suited to play closer towards the line of scrimmage. Peppers was more athletic which left him playing deep. Following a season-ending wrist injury to Kindred, the Browns are open to playing Peppers in a more natural role.

"We are going to use a combination of guys. Kai (Nacua) will probably go down there, but also, we will have Jabrill down there. We will play in different packages with people and we will move Jabrill a little bit closer to the ball so he will have an opportunity to be down there, but Kai will, too, as we go through this," head coach Hue Jackson said"

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Cleveland-Browns-Derrick-Kindred-injury-opens-things-up-for-Jabrill-Peppers-112634090

Playing that deep, so early will only benefit him. I'm glad he is still on the field playing.

On another note..... The praised Malik Hooker got was OVERRATED AND OVERVALUED (told you so) and should not have never been playing this season.. I said it very early and clearly... Let him heal... but no...
Injury proned player...

Jabrill will benefit from playing out of position Phoenix after all being on the field is important and half the battle...

After all, that is the head coach saying it, he is using multiple players and still finding their backfield..
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Dec 23, 2017 at 7:46 AM ]
So the head coach praises his player? The hell you say.
Share 49ersWebzone