LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 140 users in the forums

Debunking the myth that LA is not a football town.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Took a quick look at attendance figures for the Rams when they were in LA (at a website that wants to bring the team back to LA)

http://losangelesrams.org/about/statistics/attendance.html

Last 4 years they were near the bottom of the League in average attendance, and in their final year (1994) they were dead last. I remember that when what's-her-face took over (Frontiere?), the fans were less and less supportive, but that happened in 1979, so that doesn't explain the reason for the drop in attendance in the early 90's.

The reason that I remember LA had such a lousy reputation for Football fans was due to the fact that so many of them showed up late to the Games and left early.
The 2nd most populous city in the USA is either not a football town, or all their fans are broke asses that can't afford to support a football team.
the Nose bleeds in that stadium ...Good Luck

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
I pray for a team to move to la. An hour and 45 min drive to go to la vs 4 hours for santa clara. I'm a local team guy. In south central cali. 9ers are my #1. Then Lakers and dodgers. If the rams moved to la that would be one more game i go to every year.

see i dont understand why anybody want just any team like an expansion team in LA.i want the Rams because of their storied rivalry and history with the niners,i mean that rivalry is as old as any in baseball.st loluis rams is such a childish and asinine name for a football team.thats like calling the yankees the las vegas yankees,your like wtf? i wont accept LA having any other team there.rams or nobody else please.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Whatever. Just don't take the Chargers. I know Corey Liuget and he hooked me up with sick seats for their games against NE and Denver last season. I love just catching the trolley to the stadium and watching some football. Even if it isn't the 9ers.

Sad thing is, they are going to take the Chargers. The new stadium they are hoping for ain't gonna happen.

I always feared it would be the chargers from the AFC joining the rams and that looks more and more a reality.I want the rams only but unfortunately the NFL seems hellbent on two teams.it will work if it is only the rams but if you bring in two,they will screw LA up all over again.the chargers have zero fans in LA and most fans in SD have said in polls they wont drive up there and watch them if they move so the NFL will screw things up if they bring the chargers along with the rams because you will have a ghost town of a stadium in LA for chargers games if they dont stop this nonsense talk.

they should bring an expansion team for the AFC team but there has been no talk of that.that would be the smart and right thing to do but the NFL is run by a bunch of idiots who lack logic and common sense though who dont care.

the positive side is idiot spanos has not been negotiating in good faith with the city to try and get somethign done with them so the major has gone directly to the NFL to negotiate with them.hopefully they will agree that spanos has not followed NFL relocation guildlines and tell them they cant move. thats why the rams situation is unique because they have done everything required of them in their lease agreement with the city and honored and did everything that was asked of them in the agreement.the city did not honor the agreement in the terms of the lease and they are now back peddling trying to make knoneke look like the bad guy for THEIR incompetence. kroneke can legally move them in a court of law and the owners never wanted the rams to leave so he will have no problems there.

the chargers though? doesnt look like they have a legal arm to stand on if they try to leave because spanos has violated NFL relocation rules and the city of SD is prepared for a lawsuit against him and the NFL if they try to move and i dont see how they can lose if it goes that far.hopefully it wont go that far though and the NFL tells them they cant move.

the rams belong in LA,raiders in oakland,chargers in SD.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
The NFL needs a team in LA more than LA needs a team. And LA isnt a football city. Its not really a great sports city. What it is great at is supporting whoever is winning on a big stage. When the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Rams, USC Trojans, etc. are great and its a story, the people come out. The stars come out. When they are average, LA has way too many options of s**t to do (kind of like Miami) other than sit and watch a mediocre team.

If the Rams came back, they would fill the seats for a bit. But if they sucked, you would see an LA version or Florida sports support.

still someone else who did not bother to read the OP or watch the videos i see.god doesnt anybody read OPS around here or watch the videos people post? apparently not.

the rams would not have survived for 50 years in LA if that was true.

people have the passionate fanbase for the rams as the OP proves,you might actually take the time to read it and watch the videos.

basketball and baseball is not big anymore like it used to be so thats pretty much true everywhere you go that teams dont draw well if they are not doing well other than the red sox and cubs.basketball dont follow so i cant speak on that.football is so much bigger now than ever though and because it is played once a week they will sell out for ages,more and more peopel at disneyland are coming out in droves eager for them to come back,for at least ten years or so it wont matter how bad they are,they will be packed cause fans out there are like myself,they dont care about them winning right now or will for several years,they just want them back and with the long established devoted fanbase out there,that stadium will be filled for years to come,possibly DECADES.

possibly decades because the long devoted fans out there will remember how they lost them and they will make sure and support them because of that.a long devoted fanbase that always supported them very well for so many years as i proved in the op that you did not watch,are just like me,they dont care how bad they are and wotn for a very long time,like me,they just want them back to watch out there again.
[ Edited by mrmontana on Jun 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM ]
LA is a Laker city. Always will be. Any football team would be second them. Still shocking there isn't a team there though. I guess the NFL has enjoyed using LA as a bargaining mechanism with other cities... get a new stadium, or else LA is calling...
Originally posted by mrmontana:
The NFL needs a team in LA more than LA needs a team. And LA isnt a football city. Its not really a great sports city. What it is great at is supporting whoever is winning on a big stage. When the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Rams, USC Trojans, etc. are great and its a story, the people come out. The stars come out. When they are average, LA has way too many options of s**t to do (kind of like Miami) other than sit and watch a mediocre team.

If the Rams came back, they would fill the seats for a bit. But if they sucked, you would see an LA version or Florida sports support.

still someone else who did not bother to read the OP or watch the videos i see.god doesnt anybody read OPS around here or watch the videos people post? apparently not.

people have the passionate fanbase for the rams as the OP proves,you might actually take the time to read it and watch the videos.

basketball and baseball is not big anymore like it used to be so thats pretty much true everywhere you go that teams dont draw well if they are not doing well other than the red sox and cubs.basketball dont follow so i cant speak on that.football is so much bigger now than ever though and because it is played once a week they will sell out for ages,more and more peopel at disneyland are coming out in droves eager for them to come back,for at least ten years or so it wont matter how bad they are,they will be packed cause fans out there are like myself,they dont care about them winning right now or will for several years,they just want them back and with the long established devoted fanbase out there,that stadium will be filled for years to come,possibly DECADES.

possibly decades because the long devoted fans out there will remember how they lost them and they will make sure and support them because of that.a long devoted fanbase that always supported them very well for so many years as i proved in the op that you did not watch,are just like me,they dont care how bad they are and wotn for a very long time,like me,they just want them back to watch out there again.
all hypothetical
Originally posted by sacniner:
LA is a Laker city. Always will be. Any football team would be second them. Still shocking there isn't a team there though. I guess the NFL has enjoyed using LA as a bargaining mechanism with other cities... get a new stadium, or else LA is calling...

It's a Laker city when they're winning, or a Clipper city when they're winning......or a Dodger city when they're winning. Hell, I've seen more Kings and Galaxy jerseys in the last three years than I ever have in the entire time I've lived here. Not to mention the ridiculous popularity of USC and UCLA.

Rubs is right, LA is a fair-weather town with fans who have better ways to spend their time and money if the product on the field is garbage. A new stadium will be the "it" thing to do for awhile and if the football team doesn't win games the crowds will go away. Just the way it is.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jun 24, 2015 at 2:42 PM ]
Originally posted by mrmontana:

Lol, that's all hypothetical. Just because you post some b******t doesn't mean it's fact. You want proof? Look up a few posts where you state the Rams rivalry is as old as anything in baseball. Lol oh really. So if you are that wrong, why should I take your OP as fact. Because that baseball post was utter s**t. So save me the smileys and does anyone read anymore b******t. You aren't that smart.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Did he really just go back 50, 40, and then 25 years to prove what LA is today? I'm not saying they are or they aren't anything, but that makes no sense. lol

here we go again.watch the freaking videos.al michales debunks the myth in one. you also might to try and go to LA sometime,there are thousand of rams fans spotted at dodger stadium and disneyland all the time.
Originally posted by strickac:
You should move to LA and wait for a team to cheer for.

kroneke has met with major james butts many times,the rams are going back next year.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
USE THE f**kING SPACE BAR

god nobody here reads OP's
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
LA deserves a football team. I would like the rams to come back. I live in LA and there are a lot of true respectable old school ram fans here. Ive been to ram bars (because there are a lot and my cousins are ram fans) when they played the niners and the people there were inviting. They would joke around at my expense but all in good fun.

Plus i would get to see the niners once a year without having to make a 5 hour drive.

Lots of good football fans here but everyone is so dispersed because my generation grew up without an NFL home team

FINALLY a sensible post to go along with young to rice and 909ers as well as dr bill walshs.THREE people that actually have a clue what their talking about and have actually contributed something here.
[ Edited by mrmontana on Jun 24, 2015 at 4:32 PM ]
@ MrMontanna: are you like the "anti" mr st louis? You know that poster?

If you are a Rams' fan posting on other team's fan's boards, then you must. If you do this regular enough as I do.

Enjoying your energy, if not your approach.
[ Edited by ArizonaBlue on Jun 24, 2015 at 6:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone