LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 180 users in the forums

Debunking the myth that LA is not a football town.

Shop 49ers game tickets
I have seen many posters at many sites over the years "and this one being no exception" of them saying that LA is not a football town which could not be any further from the truth. Listen to this video here of Al Michales who broadcast a lot of Rams games there..He debunks that myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCOfrIBkWZ0

Also watch these two videos.One a video from their time in LA in 1975 against the cardinals.a team that has always been horrible historically no less,yet as you can see for yourself,,the place is packed to the max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP61GDj25x8

and look at this one a game from the early 90's against the Eagles when they moved to Anaheim and they played in that small dump.pay special attention after the one minute mark,you can see the upper deck full to the max as well.Looks like a packed stadium to me. pretty impressive considering they were playing in a small dump for a baseball stadium that was built for baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iepQ6vAipA

Its also a myth that they dont support a winner.while that is true with the dodgers and Lakers because there are so many games in a year,that was never the case with the Rams as the proof is in the pudding below in this paragraph. LA is not a Raiders or Chargers football town,but it is a Rams football town.Major difference there.

Here are the facts i came across that dispell the myth that LA is not a football town ANOTHER post here everyone has blatantly ignored DESPITE the dozens of times i have posted it here on this thread.

The reason the chargers left LA for san diego after playing there their first year in the old AFL was because they could not compete with the Rams for fan support out there.

their first year there in 1960 and you can look this up for yourselves,the largest crowds they drew there were just 21,000 around with their lowest being as bad as 9,000.lol. this DESPITE going 10-5 that year and making it to the divisional championship game against the Oilers.

The Rams on the other hand that same year though? their largest crowd that year was over 75,000 with the lowest being around 53,000. this DESPITE the fact they only had a losing record of 4-7-1.

Plus as I also have said here MANY times on this thread. The Raiders when they were in LA,the only fans that embraced them were the thugs. Dan Dierdorf who was a broadcaster for monday night football games from 1987 to 1994 said a couple months ago the entire time he was a broadcaster,all the raider games they did were always on the road because they did not draw well for home games.

The Rams on the other hand,they were on monday night football MANY times in the 1970's and 1980's.

The Raiders in their year they won a superbowl out there,the next year for their home opener,they only drew a crowd of about 45,000 or so.

MEANWHILE,the Rams in their home opener that same year,they drew a crowd over 65,000 for their home opener which was impressive since they were playing in a baseball stadium which was a dump. the OAKLAND Raiders might have won a superbowl out there in LA but nobody in LA cared.

LA is a football town when were talking about the RAMS its just not a Chargers or Raiders football town.major difference there.

The Rams the majority of the time they were there in fact,were always in the top five in league attendance.
the bigger the lie,the more people believe it.
[ Edited by mrmontana on Jun 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM ]
Does LA have a NFL team ?

That proves that LA is not a Football town and Fk the Rams
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Nice game of dodgeball there.glad your not my lawyer.falls out of chair laughing.

thanks for your NON contributation to my thread. "gives standing ovation."
Originally posted by mrmontana:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Nice game of dodgeball there.glad your not my lawyer.falls out of chair laughing.

Thank you Thank you....with all the support from LA..wonder why would anyone leave
Originally posted by mrmontana:

oh and since we are being technical here,san francisco is not a football town either. they are san francisco in NAME ONLY now same as the angels are los angeles in name only.
There are 10 million in Los Angeles county. It will be full.

Then you have orange county, riverside coubty, san bernardino county not to far away either.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:25 PM ]
  • 909er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
There are 10 million in Los Angeles county. It will be full.

Then you have orange county, riverside coubty, san bernardino county not to far away either.

Yep, I live in Riverside and there are still alot of rams fans here still. And San Bernardino County is the largest County in the United States, so plenty of football fans surrounding L.A
Second largest city in the U.S. and no team for decades. If the city doesn't care why should anyone else.
LA is definitely a COLLEGE football town

It would likely re-embrace itself as an NFL football town, but the perfect scenario of the TEAM (note, not teamS) relocated there would have to occur. The Rams IMO fill the role of most likely candidate.

- They have an owner with the funds to privately build his own stadium.
- They have a near 50-yr history of having played in the area that trumps all the other candidates.
- Relocating them would involve the least realignment of division (in fact none at all, as the NFCW would make even more sense)

NFL instead of this yearly London experiment they keep force-feeding us (with not just one but TWO! games across the pond) should instead have been (at least one of the games) been neutral-site games in LOS ANGELES (either Rose Bowl or Memorial Coliseum) to test and gauge the potential of a franchise to succeed there. Many LA NFL fans are out-of-towners/transplants, so no doubt those games would be well attended.

Even in the preseason when the cowboys do their training camp in oxnard, the league should've tested the market in the area with an exhibition game in LA.
I pray for a team to move to la. An hour and 45 min drive to go to la vs 4 hours for santa clara. I'm a local team guy. In south central cali. 9ers are my #1. Then Lakers and dodgers. If the rams moved to la that would be one more game i go to every year.

LA is not a sports town
So are the Rams coming to LA or What? When?? Raiders to LA?? Chargers??
Whatever. Just don't take the Chargers. I know Corey Liuget and he hooked me up with sick seats for their games against NE and Denver last season. I love just catching the trolley to the stadium and watching some football. Even if it isn't the 9ers.

Sad thing is, they are going to take the Chargers. The new stadium they are hoping for ain't gonna happen.
  • mod
  • Veteran
f**k LA anyways
The NFL needs a team in LA more than LA needs a team. And LA isnt a football city. Its not really a great sports city. What it is great at is supporting whoever is winning on a big stage. When the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Rams, USC Trojans, etc. are great and its a story, the people come out. The stars come out. When they are average, LA has way too many options of s**t to do (kind of like Miami) other than sit and watch a mediocre team.

If the Rams came back, they would fill the seats for a bit. But if they sucked, you would see an LA version or Florida sports support.
Share 49ersWebzone