LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Jaworski's QB List 2014

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Kap should be #1

THIS!
Looks good for a preseason list...definitely will not be like that at the end of the season
Come on, the list is pretty accurate except Kaep should be a little better like at #11 or #12. At least he has the opportunity to move up. Rodgers over everyone.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jul 22, 2014 at 12:23 PM ]
  • thl408
imo

Rodgers > Brady
Matt Ryan is too high
Luck is too high
Eli is too high
Flacco is too high
Romo is too low: I know he chokes, but he's better than Flacco/Ryan
RWilson is too low
Kap is too low
[ Edited by thl408 on Jul 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
imo

Rodgers > Brady
Matt Ryan is too high
Luck is too high
Eli is too high
Flacco is too high
Romo is too low: I know he chokes, but he's better than Flacco/Ryan
RWilson is too low
Kap is too low

I agree with this...I have a huge man crush on luck, but there is no way he should be top 5 and there is no way he is that many spots over kap.
Originally posted by crabman82:
jaworksi is just an espn mouth piece sent out there to say things to get a response. i bet this list has guys out of place just to spark debate. just like last year when he said kap could be the greatest qb of all time or whatever, i love kaep but even i dont believe that,.

The thing is, he has all the physical tools to be the greatest. He isn't a dumbass, either. So it is entirely possible that he COULD be the greatest of all time, but whether or not that is likely is a completely different story. Jaworksi never said he WILL BE the greatest, just that he could be.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Jul 22, 2014 at 1:56 PM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by susweel:
Kap should be #1

THIS!

Dont sleep on him this year. I'm thinking-praying for a monster season from him. I have faith.. It would tone the haters down just a little
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by crabman82:
jaworksi is just an espn mouth piece sent out there to say things to get a response. i bet this list has guys out of place just to spark debate. just like last year when he said kap could be the greatest qb of all time or whatever, i love kaep but even i dont believe that,.

The thing is, he has all the physical tools to be the greatest. He isn't a dumbass, either. So it is entirely possible that he COULD be the greatest of all time, but whether or not that is likely is a completely different story. Jaworksi never said he WILL BE the greatest, just that he could be.

there was a whole deadspin article dedicated to showing how jaworski says kaep could be the greatest just to spark the debate nation wide. espn has their guys say things like that to spark the debate not because they actually believe it.
Jaws' list looks a bit off because he focuses less on results, and more on how the player looks on film. He's looking at throwing motion, footwork, how they cycle through reads, movement in the pocket...etc. Just like a scout would do.

But just like a scout, they often commit the mistake of ignoring the bottom-line and focusing too much on the minute details. That's how Luck ends up #5, and Kap #13, despite Kap outperforming Luck in every statistical category that measures QB efficiency.
I love Kap, but I agree where he is at here on this list. Too many games last year were total duds for him.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I love Kap, but I agree where he is at here on this list. Too many games last year were total duds for him.

I hear ya. For the most part he was pretty darn good last year, but when he was bad, he was REALLY bad. He was brutal in all 4 regular season losses, and the playoff loss he unraveled in the 4th quarter. It's not all on him, obviously for most of the season we had issues on offense revolving around the lack of WR depth. I look for him to take a big step forward this year. I think he is a Top 10 QB, and he will prove it without a doubt this year.
Originally posted by crake49:
I get that Andrew Luck is a real good young quarterback, but he's rated at #5 and Kaepernick is rated at #13. I've pointed this out before, but again, this is what bothers me about the 5 to 13 thing:

Career QB rating: Kaepernick 93.8; Luck 81.5
Completion %: Kaepernick 59.8; Luck 57
TD %: Kaepernick 4.9; Luck 3.7
Int %: Kaepernick 1.7; Luck 2.3
YPC: Kaepernick 13.2; Luck 12.0

Now, when you get to scheme-based stats, Luck wins
Passing yardage per game: Kaepernick 157.7; Luck 256
TD Passes: Kaepernick 31 (23 starts); Luck 46 (32 starts)
Yardage: Kaepernick 5,046; Luck 8,256

Like I say, I get that Luck is real good. What I don't get is why someone has him rated 8 levels above Kaepernick. That actually doesn't make any sense to me.

Because Kaep is still a work in progress, with a high ceiling. Luck is very much ready to go with a high ceiling.
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
Because Kaep is still a work in progress, with a high ceiling. Luck is very much ready to go with a high ceiling.

I'd say Kap is ready to go. 2 deep playoff runs in his first 2 years as a starter in the league. The stats don't lie either. He has a higher QB rating, QBR, Cmp %, TD %, INT %, YPA, YPC. Luck has a prettier throwing motion....and that's about it.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM ]
If I were to make a list or lists it would have to be divided into what have they done, what potential do they have going forward and my likes/dislikes in style.

A: Best Today--intensity lives here
P Manning--unbelievable precision
Brady--heady and a winner
Brees--maximizes his talent, good under pressure
Rodgers--most all round

B: Great Talent/Occasional WTF
Roethlisberger--strength overcomes dumb
E Manning--elite...oops...erratic

C: Talent/Questionable Decisionmakers
Rivers--pressure gets to him
Romo--everythings' going well? Time to throw the ball away.
Cutler--throw it long...even if it's to a defender

C.2: Good but Next Level?
Ryan--just doesn't overwhelm in big games
Flacco--one year wonder? strong arm, selfish?
Smith--Control over sizzle
Bradford--but for injuries?

D: Young and Upcoming
Kaepernick--most raw talent
Luck--most overall mental/physical conbination
Wilson--gamer
RGIII--thought he was a gamer...?
Newton--2nd most raw talent
Foles--can he do it again?

These are groupings, not rankings. The difference is that I have no idea who is the best but I see these guys as similar in their careers so far.

Kaepernick may become the best QB of all time but at the moment he is just a huge ball of amazing raw talent. It's up to his attitude and coaches to take the next step. He's smart enough, can he see the field well enough?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If I were to make a list or lists it would have to be divided into what have they done, what potential do they have going forward and my likes/dislikes in style.

A: Best Today--intensity lives here
P Manning--unbelievable precision
Brady--heady and a winner
Brees--maximizes his talent, good under pressure
Rodgers--most all round

B: Great Talent/Occasional WTF
Roethlisberger--strength overcomes dumb
E Manning--elite...oops...erratic

C: Talent/Questionable Decisionmakers
Rivers--pressure gets to him
Romo--everythings' going well? Time to throw the ball away.
Cutler--throw it long...even if it's to a defender

C.2: Good but Next Level?
Ryan--just doesn't overwhelm in big games
Flacco--one year wonder? strong arm, selfish?
Smith--Control over sizzle
Bradford--but for injuries?

D: Young and Upcoming
Kaepernick--most raw talent
Luck--most overall mental/physical conbination
Wilson--gamer
RGIII--thought he was a gamer...?
Newton--2nd most raw talent
Foles--can he do it again?

These are groupings, not rankings. The difference is that I have no idea who is the best but I see these guys as similar in their careers so far.

Kaepernick may become the best QB of all time but at the moment he is just a huge ball of amazing raw talent. It's up to his attitude and coaches to take the next step. He's smart enough, can he see the field well enough?

I like this approach! These categories make more sense than the rankings.
Share 49ersWebzone