There are 306 users in the forums

Jaworski's QB List 2014

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
Because Kaep is still a work in progress, with a high ceiling. Luck is very much ready to go with a high ceiling.

I'd say Kap is ready to go. 2 deep playoff runs in his first 2 years as a starter in the league. The stats don't lie either. He has a higher QB rating, QBR, Cmp %, TD %, INT %, YPA, YPC. Luck has a prettier throwing motion....and that's about it.

Took the worst team in the league to the playoffs his rookie year. Doubt CKs stats are what Lucks are if asked to throw 40x/game. Not his fault as the gameplan is run first, and mix in strategic passes.

Think the list is pretty fair (never thought I would somewhat agree with Jaws).
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If I were to make a list or lists it would have to be divided into what have they done, what potential do they have going forward and my likes/dislikes in style.

A: Best Today--intensity lives here
P Manning--unbelievable precision
Brady--heady and a winner
Brees--maximizes his talent, good under pressure
Rodgers--most all round

B: Great Talent/Occasional WTF
Roethlisberger--strength overcomes dumb
E Manning--elite...oops...erratic

C: Talent/Questionable Decisionmakers
Rivers--pressure gets to him
Romo--everythings' going well? Time to throw the ball away.
Cutler--throw it long...even if it's to a defender

C.2: Good but Next Level?
Ryan--just doesn't overwhelm in big games
Flacco--one year wonder? strong arm, selfish?
Smith--Control over sizzle
Bradford--but for injuries?

D: Young and Upcoming
Kaepernick--most raw talent
Luck--most overall mental/physical conbination
Wilson--gamer
RGIII--thought he was a gamer...?
Newton--2nd most raw talent
Foles--can he do it again?

These are groupings, not rankings. The difference is that I have no idea who is the best but I see these guys as similar in their careers so far.

Kaepernick may become the best QB of all time but at the moment he is just a huge ball of amazing raw talent. It's up to his attitude and coaches to take the next step. He's smart enough, can he see the field well enough?

Great way to look at them and classify.
Nicely done, Dtg, as it is really hard to place these guys, altho Big Ben? no way. Rivers, good year but no way. I can make a less good case for half a dozen more, but good as Brady is, in a matchup game, I take Rodgers. Kap is in a great group , Up and coming, along with Wilson,luck, rg3. Those guys all belong together. Picking a #1 qB really is going to be subjective, not objective...hence I love your groupings.
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Because Kaep is still a work in progress, with a high ceiling. Luck is very much ready to go with a high ceiling.

I'd say Kap is ready to go. 2 deep playoff runs in his first 2 years as a starter in the league. The stats don't lie either. He has a higher QB rating, QBR, Cmp %, TD %, INT %, YPA, YPC. Luck has a prettier throwing motion....and that's about it.

Took the worst team in the league to the playoffs his rookie year. Doubt CKs stats are what Lucks are if asked to throw 40x/game. Not his fault as the gameplan is run first, and mix in strategic passes.

Think the list is pretty fair (never thought I would somewhat agree with Jaws).

That "worst" team in the league made the playoffs every year for more than a decade. They fell off for one season, and that was because they had Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky starting at QB. That's a killer. All they needed was competency at QB, which they got from Luck and then some. But let's not pretend the team had no talent.

Like you said, it's not Kap's fault he's in a run-oriented system. That's what Harbaugh has always done, even when Luck was his QB in college. It's pure conjecture to say he can't handle 40 throws a game like Luck. Nobody knows that, so I can't go there. I thought he played his best ball last year whenever the offense opened up and he got to sling it from shotgun. Coincidentally, his 2 best performances of the season were the two games he threw the most. Week 1 against GB, and Week 17 @AZ.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nicely done, Dtg, as it is really hard to place these guys, altho Big Ben? no way. Rivers, good year but no way. I can make a less good case for half a dozen more, but good as Brady is, in a matchup game, I take Rodgers. Kap is in a great group , Up and coming, along with Wilson,luck, rg3. Those guys all belong together. Picking a #1 qB really is going to be subjective, not objective...hence I love your groupings.

I agree regarding both those guys but they have proven to be prolific passers and capable of making big plays. If I were starting a team they would not be on my short list, or long list, of QBs to sign. Same with Romo, Rivers or Cutler. I would take Smith over all those guys in a heartbeat.

Going forward I would take Rodgers but Brady is a very smart, intense guy who knows how to get the best from his team mates. Rodgers doesn't seem to have the same close relationship with many on his offense.

I love Kaepernick, Luck, Wilson and RGIII. What a great young group to look forward to watching. I'm wondering if Cam Newton is going to turn into a Big Ben after a few more seasons of being beaten up. He does not escape hits as well as CK or Wilson. Same is true of RGIII...just can't seem to learn how to avoid hits. The difference is that I think RGIII is a learner while I'm not so sure about Newton. Wilson reminds me of Tarkenton...escape artists extraodinaire!

Thanks!
Originally posted by Empire49:
Romo and Flacco are WAY too high.

Sam Bradford is too high LOL
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If I were to make a list or lists it would have to be divided into what have they done, what potential do they have going forward and my likes/dislikes in style.

A: Best Today--intensity lives here
P Manning--unbelievable precision
Brady--heady and a winner
Brees--maximizes his talent, good under pressure
Rodgers--most all round

B: Great Talent/Occasional WTF
Roethlisberger--strength overcomes dumb
E Manning--elite...oops...erratic

C: Talent/Questionable Decisionmakers
Rivers--pressure gets to him
Romo--everythings' going well? Time to throw the ball away.
Cutler--throw it long...even if it's to a defender

C.2: Good but Next Level?
Ryan--just doesn't overwhelm in big games
Flacco--one year wonder? strong arm, selfish?
Smith--Control over sizzle
Bradford--but for injuries?

D: Young and Upcoming
Kaepernick--most raw talent
Luck--most overall mental/physical conbination
Wilson--gamer
RGIII--thought he was a gamer...?
Newton--2nd most raw talent
Foles--can he do it again?

These are groupings, not rankings. The difference is that I have no idea who is the best but I see these guys as similar in their careers so far.

Kaepernick may become the best QB of all time but at the moment he is just a huge ball of amazing raw talent. It's up to his attitude and coaches to take the next step. He's smart enough, can he see the field well enough?

Agree.

IMO, Kap will get there. This QB guru they've hired has a good track record. Hope he's as good as advertised.
  • JoRo
  • Veteran
It's amazing what a QB era we are in right now. You have legitimately 20 solid QB's in the league. When was the last time that happened?
Originally posted by JoRo:
It's amazing what a QB era we are in right now. You have legitimately 20 solid QB's in the league. When was the last time that happened?

never. you could actually hit them before.

This is true, but there has never been such a huge difference upper half with lower half either. there are many QBs who would not have played in any era before.
That "worst" team in the league made the playoffs every year for more than a decade. They fell off for one season, and that was because they had Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky starting at QB. That's a killer. All they needed was competency at QB, which they got from Luck and then some. But let's not pretend the team had no talent.

Like you said, it's not Kap's fault he's in a run-oriented system. That's what Harbaugh has always done, even when Luck was his QB in college. It's pure conjecture to say he can't handle 40 throws a game like Luck. Nobody knows that, so I can't go there. I thought he played his best ball last year whenever the offense opened up and he got to sling it from shotgun. Coincidentally, his 2 best performances of the season were the two games he threw the most. Week 1 against GB, and Week 17 @AZ.

Thank you. Couldn't have possibly said it better myself.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Quarterbacks used to take a beating out there. I can't count the times I saw QB's walking off the field bloodied in the 60's, 70's and 80's with no flag in sight.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Good point. Between that and the PI calls, QBs have it much easier now. That much more respect for guys who did it great back then.

Haha yeah Luck's ready to go with worse stats playing in the AFC South....yeah.
[ Edited by WilliamDonovan on Jul 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone