49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 545 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It's easy to cast a wary eye at the guy thinking he's a puss not having walked in his shoes, but I'm optimistic for Martin. He's probably hyper-sensitive, but that doesn't mean he can't be a solid NFL player if the right buttons are pushed.

Yes, a guy trying to get along with idiots for the team's sake has found it just too difficult and demeaning after a year or so. Martin is very bright and comes from a refined background, probably hadn't ever had to deal with a guy like Incognito. The fact that Harbaugh wanted him (I have to believe he signed off on this) gives him credibility as a player in my book. If he doesn't make it...no harm, no foul. If he becomes a very good lineman down the road it was a steal for a team with a seriously mature group of guys leading the locker room.

It would have been more interesting to see what would happen to Incognito had he joined the 9ers! Doubt the niner vets would be intimidated by this guy.
he really struggled at LT for the Fins. Maybe his future is not a swing tackle but more of a G. Bykowski should make the tean this year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Harassment, assault both shouldnt be anywhere near the workplace, but everyone has there own ideas of right and wrong.

Harassment and assult is how the game is played, it's controlled violence. You beat the s**t out of the other guy until he quits. We're not talking about sitting in a cubicle, these guys are paid to hit other people everyday at work. Name calling should be the last thing that bothers you when people try to knock you out once a week.

Yeah, you're supposed to be doing that to the other guy. Not your teammate. That's the thing.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Harassment, assault both shouldnt be anywhere near the workplace, but everyone has there own ideas of right and wrong.

Harassment and assult is how the game is played, it's controlled violence. You beat the s**t out of the other guy until he quits. We're not talking about sitting in a cubicle, these guys are paid to hit other people everyday at work. Name calling should be the last thing that bothers you when people try to knock you out once a week.

Yeah, you're supposed to be doing that to the other guy. Not your teammate. That's the thing.

Remember the forearm shiver?

I did that to a teammate in practice. Sent him to the hospital.

I spent the rest of the practice and practice the next day running laps and climbing the bleachers.

I learned only against the other team.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It would have been more interesting to see what would happen to Incognito had he joined the 9ers! Doubt the niner vets would be intimidated by this guy.

Not really.

The guy was toxic in college, and then in the NFL.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Jim Harbaugh Eager to Work with Jonathan Martin


http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jim-Harbaugh-Eager-to-Work-with-Jonathan-Martin/09583d0c-9e47-4b3a-94cf-856f03221aad

Worth reading.
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
last time i remember, the dolphins were undefeated until all the drama happen with martin and richie. Good pick up and hope our team treat him well.
That's actually a really good point.

So Martin faced his demons, went for counseling and told the proper authorities. Incognito also ends up in an inpatient unit for mental health. And Martin is the p***y? LOL. I'll take Martin's character any day. Now he can just focus on football and play. Harbaugh will have a field day deflecting Martin-Bully topics!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It would have been more interesting to see what would happen to Incognito had he joined the 9ers! Doubt the niner vets would be intimidated by this guy.

Not really.

The guy was toxic in college, and then in the NFL.

Notice I said "interesting" not good. LOL! I wouldn't touch the guy but I hope he winds up on a team ready to straighten him out rather than the other way around.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It would have been more interesting to see what would happen to Incognito had he joined the 9ers! Doubt the niner vets would be intimidated by this guy.

Not really.

The guy was toxic in college, and then in the NFL.

Notice I said "interesting" not good. LOL! I wouldn't touch the guy but I hope he winds up on a team ready to straighten him out rather than the other way around.

I understood that you said interesting. I just disagree. I do not think it would be interesting.

I really think that Incognito should not be picked up by any team. He has been doing this crap for years.
Time for him to pay the piper.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
last time i remember, the dolphins were undefeated until all the drama happen with martin and richie. Good pick up and hope our team treat him well.
That's actually a really good point.

So Martin faced his demons, went for counseling and told the proper authorities. Incognito also ends up in an inpatient unit for mental health. And Martin is the p***y? LOL. I'll take Martin's character any day. Now he can just focus on football and play. Harbaugh will have a field day deflecting Martin-Bully topics!


Yeah. I'd rather deal with a chicken than a chicken with it's head cut off.
Coach Harbaugh will have this kid playing with a huge chip on his shoulder. He's got a lot of doubters that he's going to want to prove wrong and he's in the best locker room in the league. I love the trade and think he's going to excel in this offense one way or another.
Hope we cut him
Read this dude already started texting Staley. Do we cut we cut Staley now?
[ Edited by stunder49 on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM ]
Dude will be a guard
Originally posted by Garcia:
Dude will be a guard

Definite possibility. Martin has to show up and prove he belongs first. If he does, he could be the swing tackle this year, and possibly take over at LG if Iupati leaves in 2015.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone