Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 710 users in the forums

49ers release Jonathan Martin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
No question about it! In his comments on the previous post, his role will be at that critical Swing Tackle position which is critical to us going forward (we lucked out last year big time). He also knows within this offense, he'd be that extra 6th OL in our jumbo packages. So all in all, this should be a very nice fit him him and us. But it would be great if we can quantify expectations. Maybe we'd need to go back to his college career at Stanford.
You can always look up tape on Tannehill or Lamar Miller. That's what I did. I think expectations should be slightly tapered if you think he's finished product. He's far from it. He's 6'5 with 34 inch arms so he has the length to play tackles. He has a good shuffle but his punch is kind of weak and he lets the rusher get on him way to easy. He gets beat with speed on the edge but generally recovers. He also gets powered back by the longer DE's. I think swing tackle will be a great starting spot for him. It's important to consider that he was only in his 2nd season when he left the Phins. He's far from a finished product. Regardless he's back with the coach that got him drafted in the 2nd round so I expect good things in the future.
opps.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,337
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by NCommand:
No question about it! In his comments on the previous post, his role will be at that critical Swing Tackle position which is critical to us going forward (we lucked out last year big time). He also knows within this offense, he'd be that extra 6th OL in our jumbo packages. So all in all, this should be a very nice fit him him and us. But it would be great if we can quantify expectations. Maybe we'd need to go back to his college career at Stanford.
You can always look up tape on Tannehill or Lamar Miller. That's what I did. I think expectations should be slightly tapered if you think he's finished product. He's far from it. He's 6'5 with 34 inch arms so he has the length to play tackles. He has a good shuffle but his punch is kind of weak and he lets the rusher get on him way to easy. He gets beat with speed on the edge but generally recovers. He also gets powered back by the longer DE's. I think swing tackle will be a great starting spot for him. It's important to consider that he was only in his 2nd season when he left the Phins. He's far from a finished product. Regardless he's back with the coach that got him drafted in the 2nd round so I expect good things in the future.

Yeah I suppose I could look to see how Tannehill played. Eh, trying to muster up the curiosity to watch film of a potential swing tackle. I'll just take your post as truth. I thought maybe PFF kept track of things like how long a QB hangs onto the ball and someone could quickly post that. Thanks for the quick scouting report.
On April 1st the 49ers should tell Martin they signed Richie Incognito for depth.
Originally posted by Niners99:
On April 1st the 49ers should tell Martin they signed Richie Incognito for depth.

we wouldn't him to quit the team already
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch Per @PFF, #49ers Jonathan Martin allowed a sack every 65.4 snaps in 2013, the highest rate among tackles that played at least 400 snaps.



Branch still trying to stir up crap after his "provoking" theory that Harbaugh and Baalke have a tumultuous relationship failed miserably. Fail.

Expect posts like these for EVERY player acquired.

Not only that. But look at who Martin is lined up against. What exactly was that video supposed to "prove"?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch Per @PFF, #49ers Jonathan Martin allowed a sack every 65.4 snaps in 2013, the highest rate among tackles that played at least 400 snaps.



Branch still trying to stir up crap after his "provoking" theory that Harbaugh and Baalke have a tumultuous relationship failed miserably. Fail.

Expect posts like these for EVERY player acquired.

Not only that. But look at who Martin is lined up against. What exactly was that video supposed to "prove"?

Thats a pretty well known Aldon Smith highlight. People were making jokes about Martin because of this play. He also did the same thing to Adam Goldberg on STL.
I may be a little late to this but I just watched that Boomer Esiason vid where he suggests the NFL may have forced the trade to the Niners to 'pacify' Jonathan Martin. I know the NFL is a little gun-shy regarding potential lawsuits, but how can they single out a team (49ers) and force them to take a player? Sounds a bit shady to me but the source must be considered.

If true the NFL is finding new levels to sink to.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Not only that. But look at who Martin is lined up against. What exactly was that video supposed to "prove"?

Don't you know? Every player that has ever made even one bad play (against the game's best no less) sucks around here. They have the GIF to prove it too!

Just like every player that has ever been hurt a time or two (in the NFL of all places, the humanity) is "injury prone" or "can't stay healthy".
[ Edited by Gavintech on Mar 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM ]
Martin was terrible on the field for Miami. Off the field his claims of being bullied was a bunch if bs. I doubt he is still on the roster when the reg season starts.
As has been said...if he makes the team he will be better than the other candidates; if he doesn't...OK.
whatever he is, its extremely rare to get such a young gifted swing tackle for pretty much free. This was a huge get for us and could really solidify our line in terms of depth. He also is not stuck down in miami anymore with that joke of an organization and now has access to one of the best strength conditioning and medical staff in all of sports around the world. His biggest knock is that he is just not strong yet. It could be due to the fact that the strength coach was involved in all this mess and Martin wasnt getting the proper training needed to succeed.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
whatever he is, its extremely rare to get such a young gifted swing tackle for pretty much free. This was a huge get for us and could really solidify our line in terms of depth. He also is not stuck down in miami anymore with that joke of an organization and now has access to one of the best strength conditioning and medical staff in all of sports around the world. His biggest knock is that he is just not strong yet. It could be due to the fact that the strength coach was involved in all this mess and Martin wasnt getting the proper training needed to succeed.

Excellent point.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I may be a little late to this but I just watched that Boomer Esiason vid where he suggests the NFL may have forced the trade to the Niners to 'pacify' Jonathan Martin. I know the NFL is a little gun-shy regarding potential lawsuits, but how can they single out a team (49ers) and force them to take a player? Sounds a bit shady to me but the source must be considered.

If true the NFL is finding new levels to sink to.


I think that Martin's camp may have been requesting a trade to the 49ers for awhile now, I think Miami was looking for better compensation, wanting to see if another team would give them something else, to avoid further antagonizing Martin's camp and wanting to put this issue to bed, especially in light of the damaging report that was produced on what went on there in Miami, I'd buy into the notion that the NFL leaned on Miami a bit to get the deal done. I don't buy that they had to pressure the 49ers very much to take a guy that was a 2nd rounder a couple years ago and for whom Harbaugh had vouched, this deal was a straight-up steal for the 49ers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I may be a little late to this but I just watched that Boomer Esiason vid where he suggests the NFL may have forced the trade to the Niners to 'pacify' Jonathan Martin. I know the NFL is a little gun-shy regarding potential lawsuits, but how can they single out a team (49ers) and force them to take a player? Sounds a bit shady to me but the source must be considered.

If true the NFL is finding new levels to sink to.


I think that Martin's camp may have been requesting a trade to the 49ers for awhile now, I think Miami was looking for better compensation, wanting to see if another team would give them something else, to avoid further antagonizing Martin's camp and wanting to put this issue to bed, especially in light of the damaging report that was produced on what went on there in Miami, I'd buy into the notion that the NFL leaned on Miami a bit to get the deal done. I don't buy that they had to pressure the 49ers very much to take a guy that was a 2nd rounder a couple years ago and for whom Harbaugh had vouched, this deal was a straight-up steal for the 49ers.

Agree Phoenix, I wouldn't be surprised if after Harbaugh said good things about JM for the report if they asked him if he would take JM on the 49ers. No doubt the NFL wanted him to play again and for it to go well, any idiot knew his best chance of succeeding was here.

As a 49er fan, I'm really proud that this was the consensus best landing spot for Martin after what happened in Miami. Aside from the fact that Harbaugh was his college coach & we're local to where he went to college at Stanford. This locker room is great, the players here have great attitudes & everyone in the organization handled the Aldon Smith situation great.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone