There are 198 users in the forums

WR Austin Collie

Shop 49ers game tickets
overrated.
Originally posted by northbaypete:
Aug 1: some zone posters said to be "panicking" because they want to sign Collie/Robinson/Hawkins

Aug 2: Baalke "panics", signs Collie/Hawkins

Didn't see panic regarding signing more WRs...that's what you do when most of your guys are on one injured list or another. But insisting that a young second year, first round pick should be cut to make room for...someone else...that's panic!
Originally posted by defenderDX:
overrated.

If healthy, he's a very good addition to the team, based on the setup of this offense, he could thrive in the slot.
Ummmm
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Don't like the signing. But he's on our team now and I'm rooting for him to do good. Plus, in HarBaalk I trust.

Anyone you would have preferred instead?
Well, since you asked, I'm not all that big on a small-ish concussion-prom WR.
Don't like the signing. But he's on our team now and I'm rooting for him to do good. Plus, in HarBaalk I trust.

Might as well have kept Owusu last year
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Waiting on Riley Cooper to get released.
I bet you are.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. People are assuming that this has to do with Jenkins, and while it may not mean any sort of approval for Jenkins, I feel it has much more to do with Manningham and that his overall prognosis isn't that great. Manningham's injury was significantly worse than what Williams suffered, so I'm starting to feel that maybe we shouldn't expect anything from Manningham at all this season. In that case, having a steady, veteran presence to bolster Boldin along with a roster filled with youngsters and rookie WR's is a plus.

I'm not seeing a lot of hype for Lockette, not like what was seen in the early offseason either. Not that it necessarily means much, but I could easily see him being the odd-man out. All that size and speed isn't worth a damn if the receiving ability and reliable hands don't come as part of the package.

I'm looking at Collie as a guy who has true potential to hang around and Hawkins as training camp bait.

1-Boldin
2-Williams
3-Collie
4/5-Jenkins/Patton
6-Hall or Moore

why are we trying to trade him? the proper term is camp fodder
I like the signing. Collie is an excellent slot receiver. If he can stay healthy, it's a steal. We need receivers who have proved that they can produce. I'm still eagerly waiting for Jenkins to step up, but if it doesn't happen we have Boldin, Manningham, Collie. That's 3 guys who are proven commodities. Once Crabtree comes back, we're golden
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM ]
Collie's a good addition to the WR corps...he's a vet and a reliable receiver. Just ask Peyton about him...he'll tell you he loved throwing to him because he had excellent hands and got open regularly. With Crabtree and Manningham out, Harbaugh needed some veteran experience and now he's got it.
lame. i want robinson

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Didn't see panic regarding signing more WRs...that's what you do when most of your guys are on one injured list or another. But insisting that a young second year, first round pick should be cut to make room for...someone else...that's panic!

Hopefully they'll just forget about who was drafted where, and keep the best ones. I am ecstatic about Collie. I was worried he'd sign somewhere before Baalke got around to it. Sure, he's an injury risk, but who among our WRs is not? I don't know what to think about Hawkins, but they all get purtier when they put on a 49er jersey
[ Edited by northbaypete on Aug 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I like the signing. Collie is an excellent slot receiver. If he can stay healthy, it's a steal. We need receivers who have proved that they can produce. I'm still eagerly waiting for Jenkins to step up, but if it doesn't happen we have Boldin, Manningham, Collie. That's 3 guys who are proven commodities. Once Crabtree comes back, we're golden

Yeah it's all about bridging the gap until Crabs and Manningham return. My expectations for Jenkins are now incredibly low. This was his best opportunity to become a starter with all the injuries and it looks like he's going to waste it.
Collie is just what this team needs, a very smart, hard-working guy who's an outstanding route runner and isn't at all undersized, Collie could replace a lot of what Manningham brought to the table. He's still fairly young, very intelligent, I see this as a solid addition.

Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
lame. i want robinson

And yet its amazing, the people who do this for a living, actual experts, worked out both players and decided that Collie was the better option. Maybe because apart from one very good year with Dallas, Robinson has never been anything to write home about and Collie has always been a solid, clutch performer when healthy.
And yet its amazing, the people who do this for a living, actual experts, worked out both players and decided that Collie was the better option. Maybe because apart from one very good year with Dallas, Robinson has never been anything to write home about and Collie has always been a solid, clutch performer when healthy.

I agree. I think Collie is a much better player than Robinson. We even signed Lavelle Hawkins over Robinson. That says a lot. Robinson had one good year, but inconsistency and injuries have always plagued him.
Share 49ersWebzone