LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Guess I'm one of the few around here that hopes AS takes a pay cut and stays. If CK gets hurt, who's gonna take over...Tolzien? I'm not comfortable with that. Of course some things can't be helped because I don't see the Niners paying what...$7-$8 mil for a back up. Still, I'd like to think that there's a good chance Smith will stay around because, as we've seen, one big hit and the 2nd string QB jumps right in.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I keep reading that the trade or release of Alex Smith is a done deal after the season. Isn't it a bit pre-mature to automatically dump Alex Smith until we know for sure that we have a viable back-up? Smith is still under contract with the 49ers for two years, and who's to say that Alex really wants to go start for a pathetic losing team, and experience a repeat of 2005 all over again. Maybe he would rather stay in S.F. as a back-up? This quote from Smith certainly sounds like he might be willing to consider it. "I'm sure when we get back, there will be plenty of time to sit down with Jim and (general manager) Trent (Baalke) and see what's what," said Smith, who downplayed the idea that he's demanding a starting job somewhere else. "This is a business," Smith said. "I don't really look at it like that. They're going to do what's best, that's their job. They're going to do what's best for the team. I don't know what that is -- obviously a better question for them. ... Like I said, I want to play football, but I'm under contract for two years, so (returning to the team is) certainly a possibility." If we worked out a deal for Smith to say, then we continue to have the best 1-2 QB situation in the league. If we don't, then we may be looking at a huge drop-off in production with our new #2 QB if Kaep goes down, just like all the other teams. We are in a unique position to retain great QB depth if we play our cards right. I realize that $8M per year for a back-up QB is a lot, but we don't know if Alex may be willing to re-structure to stay here. He likes this team, and now we're a winner. It may be more desirable than going 2-14 and getting killed as a starter somewhere else. I'm just say'in, if Alex wants to stay as a back-up, the niners should do everything in their power to accommodate that.

WOW !!!! great point Good Thread !!!! I'm thinking let him go to a team . Maybe in the future bring him back as a back up. I still care for him and want him on this team and I was a Alex hater big time .He should get his shot at being a starter else wear.
why are there 57 threads on this???
Originally posted by cciowa:
i would lose respect for him if he stays,,, if he stays,, alex has no self respect in my opinion and that is not him.

So choosing to stay with a superbowl contender, and a great organization, with a brand new stadium, with innovative coaching, and a locker room full of friends, is not respectable?!

I don't get.
Id like to see it just to watch this place blow up.

Reality is, and I do like Alex, he is a starter, he should play and be paid as a starter. If he actually wanted to stay and take a huge blow to his pocketbook, well, thats his decision, but no one is going to throw away millions a year when their playing days are numbered from the moment they enter the league.

Its great having two qb's that know the system, seem to get along, but at the end of the day, I say he moves on due to his own accord.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
So choosing to stay with a superbowl contender, and a great organization, with a brand new stadium, with innovative coaching, and a locker room full of friends, is not respectable?!

I don't get.
at his age, at the things he accomplished last year and in the first part of this year,, he should not be ok being a back up and doing mop up duty for the rest of his life. if he is, then he is not the mentally tough person i thought he was. i think he wants to go somewhere, be the starter and prove the niners they were wrong. who ever heard of someone his age with what he has done, being ok as a back up??
I think it would be pretty cool if we played against an Alex Smith led football team in a superbowl
Originally posted by verb1der:

I don't get.
at his age, at the things he accomplished last year and in the first part of this year,, he should not be ok being a back up and doing mop up duty for the rest of his life. if he is, then he is not the mentally tough person i thought he was. i think he wants to go somewhere, be the starter and prove the niners they were wrong. who ever heard of someone his age with what he has done, being ok as a back up??

I get your point. But I highly doubt he will prove anything to the 49ers by going to one of these crap teams that's possibly interested in him. Who knows, there might not even be any interest. Didn't Alex test the market last off-season, interviewed with the Dolphins, and even they passed on him?!

Imo, he should stay as a back up. There's no better coaching staff out there, and plus San Francicso is now the QB University of the NFL.
for sure
I don't think it is a good idea to have Alex as a backup. You want your backup to be sort of a surprise or bring some element the starter doesn't bring. Teams know what Alex can and can't do so it will be an easy adjustment for them.

Having a guy like Tolzien or another QB with zero film, maybe Johnson would probably be more effective coming into an emergency role.

Also take into account hat Alex just isn't the type who comes in without actually preparation. The guy needs more time than most just to get on an average groove with a receiver. He's not the type of QB to be able to come in and wing it. He must not only know the playbill but have already played and practiced those plays out. Jim Harbaugh isn't a coach who recycles a lot of plays from year to year. So, Alex may know the playbook but will be trying to execute new plays for the first time if he ever has to come in.

I don't know, great character and hope he goes on a team that has tons of patience and backs him 100% but he's not as good as he's made out to be on here.

He will be 29 when the season starts. Waiting around here as a backup for another year would be a terrible career move. He needs to start and set him self up for a big contract and a long term starting role somewhere.

I think he should go elsewhere, but look at it from the other side. He's made millions of dollars. He should know he is never going to go to the HOF. Just had his first kid, is in pretty good shape (shoulder), but not many concussions, broken bones, etc....

So, worth millions, married, kid, settled into a community, teammates that are his friends, I could see the lure of staying here as a backup for alot less money. Hell I would. Play with my friends, still get millions of dollars, not get pulverized 16 times a year. Play if called upon, then retire with his health, thats more than many players can say.
[ Edited by frozen49er on Jan 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
If we cut him, and he goes to AZ, then our road to more division titles will be harder. Do what DEN did for Tebow. Gather offers, and pick the best few, and let him choose which team he wants to go to of those choices.

LOL

Come on. Alex isn't the type of QB that will give our defense trouble. What's he gonna do in Arizona? Get sacked 8 times by Aldon Smith due to their atrocious offensive line and dump down to Beanie Wells for 4 yards when he does get a pass off? Other than him knowing too much about our offense, Alex Smith going to Arizona (or anywhere else, really) doesn't bother me. Without Harbaugh, Alex is mediocre at best. It's always been that way and will not change.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think it is a good idea to have Alex as a backup. You want your backup to be sort of a surprise or bring some element the starter doesn't bring. Teams know what Alex can and can't do so it will be an easy adjustment for them.

Having a guy like Tolzien or another QB with zero film, maybe Johnson would probably be more effective coming into an emergency role.

Also take into account hat Alex just isn't the type who comes in without actually preparation. The guy needs more time than most just to get on an average groove with a receiver. He's not the type of QB to be able to come in and wing it. He must not only know the playbill but have already played and practiced those plays out. Jim Harbaugh isn't a coach who recycles a lot of plays from year to year. So, Alex may know the playbook but will be trying to execute new plays for the first time if he ever has to come in.

I don't know, great character and hope he goes on a team that has tons of patience and backs him 100% but he's not as good as he's made out to be on here.
Yeah, I mean remember when he came in as a backup for Hill that one game against Houston. He was garbage in that second half.
Good luck to Alex wherever he goes!
Share 49ersWebzone