LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
All this current stuff about Smith is unsubstantiated rumour. So lets treat it as such. Nothing is going to happen until after the game. Everything you are reading now is just some guy's opinion.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by BobS:
If Alex is released his contract is void and his price goes up, if you trade for him he is paid $8 million a year. Let him hit the free market and he gets $11-$12 million a year.

Matt Flynn got a 3 year deal for 19.5 million with only 10 guaranteed and Matt Hasselbeck signed a three-year, $21 million deal. Alex isn't getting 11-12 million per year, especially with insiders saying most teams look at him as a one year stop gap till the first or second round QB is ready.
Flynn was not a proven comodity and Hasselback had severly regressed, Smith is head and shoulders above those two guys in a saturated market, with slim pickings he will go way higher than what the 49ers are paying him if he is released. He played way better after he signed for $8 million.
Yeh, agreed ^. Ian Rappaport (sp?) on NFL Network said we'll seek a trade and then if there are no takers, we'll release him out of respect. The points Eric Davis made were good. Cleveland may be a viable option d/t Norv Turner being there and basically Alex is the same age as Weeden. KC would be better given the weapons, runing game, etc. But THIS point is the most important IMHO...he said an OC can either go back to Alex's roots and go to a spread offense (something I always wished we'd try) where he calls the plays (ala Manning) or keep the offense the same as it is now here in SF with an additional focus /packages using his mobility (ala "Q" offensive plays incorporated).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
All this current stuff about Smith is unsubstantiated rumour. So lets treat it as such. Nothing is going to happen until after the game. Everything you are reading now is just some guy's opinion.

Except for the york interview. He was either being honest and wants to keep alex or he is posturing for a trade!
How bout alex smith for weeden streight up?
Here is an interesting element that Alex may begin looking at: As a resident of California, under the current federal and California income tax laws, most of Alex's $8.5M salary for 2013 would be taxed at almost 60%, leaving him with about $3.5M (almost $1.0M to California alone). If he moved and became a resident of Nevada, Wyoming, Florida and other states with low or no state income tax, he could save $1.0M per year. However, in the recent past we have seen where Alex appeared to be a devoted "liberal," being pictured in Boxer's office and while wearing an "Obama" tee shirt, so he may have no problem with "paying his fair share."

Do not misconstrue my snarky comments about Alex's political leanings, as I have always been a great supporter of his and have tried to overlook this minor "flaw" of his.
The Niners will get next for nothing for Smith. He's gonna walk a free man.

There's a limited market for Smith. I dont see him going to NY, as Rex Ryan is madly in love with Sanchez. So that leaves a handful of teams that are going to bargain for Smith's services, including BUF, PHI, KC, and AZ. I just dont see anyone else vying for him at this time. With that said, the max any of those teams will dish out for him (knowing that he'll be a FA soon) is a 3rd rounder, and more likely a 4th rounder. But the catch is that Niner brass is devoted to Alex Smith. He's done a lot for this organization, and I just dont see York trading him to BUF for a 3rd rounder if Alex goes up to him and says he doesnt want to go there.

And therefore, Alex will be let go for nothing in return.

Now, if it was me, I would trade him to the Jets for Revis. Living out on the East coast, believe me when I tell you that NY fans are in panic mode. Not because they're gonna lose Revis, bc he would have likely walked anyways after next year, but rather bc they think they will end up with nothing in return. NY is not a bad isolated market like BUF or KC. Alex might actually like going there. And NY fans (at least from what Im hearing on the radio) would welcome competition for Sanchez, and are okay with getting a quality** guy for Revis. Just dont know how it would affect our salary cap issue, knowing that we'll be trying to sign Goldson and possibly Moss/Walker this offseason.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
How bout alex smith for weeden streight up?

That's not an equal trade. Weeden is young(in football years) & unproven while A.smith is very seasoned & has the experience to go deep in the playoffs & possibly win a SB. That is no where near equal.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by excelsior:
Here is an interesting element that Alex may begin looking at: As a resident of California, under the current federal and California income tax laws, most of Alex's $8.5M salary for 2013 would be taxed at almost 60%, leaving him with about $3.5M (almost $1.0M to California alone). If he moved and became a resident of Nevada, Wyoming, Florida and other states with low or no state income tax, he could save $1.0M per year. However, in the recent past we have seen where Alex appeared to be a devoted "liberal," being pictured in Boxer's office and while wearing an "Obama" tee shirt, so he may have no problem with "paying his fair share."

Do not misconstrue my snarky comments about Alex's political leanings, as I have always been a great supporter of his and have tried to overlook this minor "flaw" of his.

let's leave the politics in the Parking Lot please.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
The Niners will get next for nothing for Smith. He's gonna walk a free man.

There's a limited market for Smith. I dont see him going to NY, as Rex Ryan is madly in love with Sanchez. So that leaves a handful of teams that are going to bargain for Smith's services, including BUF, PHI, KC, and AZ. I just dont see anyone else vying for him at this time. With that said, the max any of those teams will dish out for him (knowing that he'll be a FA soon) is a 3rd rounder, and more likely a 4th rounder. But the catch is that Niner brass is devoted to Alex Smith. He's done a lot for this organization, and I just dont see York trading him to BUF for a 3rd rounder if Alex goes up to him and says he doesnt want to go there.

And therefore, Alex will be let go for nothing in return.

Now, if it was me, I would trade him to the Jets for Revis. Living out on the East coast, believe me when I tell you that NY fans are in panic mode. Not because they're gonna lose Revis, bc he would have likely walked anyways after next year, but rather bc they think they will end up with nothing in return. NY is not a bad isolated market like BUF or KC. Alex might actually like going there. And NY fans (at least from what Im hearing on the radio) would welcome competition for Sanchez, and are okay with getting a quality** guy for Revis. Just dont know how it would affect our salary cap issue, knowing that we'll be trying to sign Goldson and possibly Moss/Walker this offseason.

Agreed on many fronts. But 4 or 5 teams potentially after one player just to start is a great start for any FA and may provide a win-win for both Alex and us (draft pick/trade). There may be even more that are not satisfied with their current QB situation and see Alex as a seasoned vet/upgrade who can come right in, learn an entire offense in one pre-season and hit the ground running unlike a rookie who may take 2 to 3 years to develop esp. with the current draft class. Last year, Alex only had the Dolphins to bargain with b/c it was the very end of the FA run. This year, he'll have the choices as will the teams knowing he's truly available. We shouldn't underestimate his worth.

I say either a trade or he stays... as the backup. No straight up release. The guy stunk up the building for 8 seasons. Why should we not get some value for him? Now we have Kaep. You keep Kaep AND Alex on the roster and salary wise it is still like having the salary of an elite QB. Why not have the best backup in the league? Now if Kaep has a big season next year, he (Kaep) needs to get locked down and quick!
Originally posted by CainanUK:
I say either a trade or he stays... as the backup. No straight up release. The guy stunk up the building for 8 seasons.

Um, no he didn't. But that argument is absolutely not to start up again in this thread.
Thinking about this more. If i was the cowboys i would trade for him. Could you imagine the push that would give homo? Alex is system diverse and a hard worker. It would be a good fit. How many qbs can play every system in the nfl on day 1. Alex smith maybe one of the only qbs in the legaue that can do that.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by CainanUK:
I say either a trade or he stays... as the backup. No straight up release. The guy stunk up the building for 8 seasons.

Um, no he didn't. But that argument is absolutely not to start up again in this thread.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
I keep seeing this thread title and thinking "Alex Boone".

Weird.
Share 49ersWebzone