LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
If any team wants to offer draft picks you have to take the draft picks.
English - did NOT mean to imply that Alex was cancer. Just the opposite. Was talking in general terms, not specific to Alex.
Alex is from San Diego, his family lives there, so if he was released I could easily see him signing with Arizona and I don't think that is a good idea for the 49ers.
Alex is from San Diego, his family lives there, so if he was released I could easily see him signing with Arizona and I don't think that is a good idea for the 49ers.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You know I have been critical Alex in the past but I gotta admit I've gained a lot respect for him on how he's handled this situation. I wish him success in his future endeavors.
So if by some miracle we get a 4th or 5th round pick for Smith, can that be compared to taking a pair of pants that didn't fit back to the store?
Originally posted by fister30:
So if by some miracle we get a 4th or 5th round pick for Smith, can that be compared to taking a pair of pants that didn't fit back to the store?

Some miracle? we gave a 5th for ginn didnt we?

we will get atleast a second for smith. People are seriously under estimateing his value this off season
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Honestly, no.

Football is a business, if the 49ers let him go without a trade it's a mistake.

If they can't get a trade... obviously, they have to cut him...but a trade should be the goal.

I agree. Niners have to do what's best for them. They can always ask Alex where he'd prefer to go and if that team offers similar deal, then they can trade him to his preferred destination.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Some miracle? we gave a 5th for ginn didnt we?

we will get atleast a second for smith. People are seriously under estimateing his value this off season

This. I knew we'd agree on something.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Yeah, I mean remember when he came in as a backup for Hill that one game against Houston. He was garbage in that second half.

Good ole prevent defense when a team is up by a lot. Either way, Alex is the one who needs to prove his value.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Niners99:
If we cut him, and he goes to AZ, then our road to more division titles will be harder. Do what DEN did for Tebow. Gather offers, and pick the best few, and let him choose which team he wants to go to of those choices.

LOL

Come on. Alex isn't the type of QB that will give our defense trouble. What's he gonna do in Arizona? Get sacked 8 times by Aldon Smith due to their atrocious offensive line and dump down to Beanie Wells for 4 yards when he does get a pass off? Other than him knowing too much about our offense, Alex Smith going to Arizona (or anywhere else, really) doesn't bother me. Without Harbaugh, Alex is mediocre at best. It's always been that way and will not change.

Does he make divisional opponent AZ better? Yes. Will that success be good for a few more wins? Yes.

We might beat AZ either way, but theyll gather more wins each season. The 49ers primary focus should to avoid letting Smith go to AZ, because AZ wants him.

The choice is either "make AZ better, or not?" Lets not.
Adam Schefter is going full potato, first he said Smith would only bring in a 6th rounder..now there's this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8910169/san-francisco-49ers-try-trade-alex-smith-sources

Sources: Demand high for Alex Smith

The San Francisco 49ers will attempt to trade quarterback Alex Smith this offseason, according to league sources, and some believe they will be able to do it because there is not a great supply of available quarterbacks and there is a demand for Smith.

Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner worked well with Smith in San Francisco when he was the team's offensive coordinator in 2006 and Chiefs coach Andy Reid has expressed interest in Smith in the past, making Cleveland and Kansas City two possible destinations.

Like stated before, I feel that Alex will go to KC for their 3rd round pick, either this year or next, preferably this year.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
If we cut him, and he goes to AZ, then our road to more division titles will be harder. Do what DEN did for Tebow. Gather offers, and pick the best few, and let him choose which team he wants to go to of those choices.

LOL

Come on. Alex isn't the type of QB that will give our defense trouble. What's he gonna do in Arizona? Get sacked 8 times by Aldon Smith due to their atrocious offensive line and dump down to Beanie Wells for 4 yards when he does get a pass off? Other than him knowing too much about our offense, Alex Smith going to Arizona (or anywhere else, really) doesn't bother me. Without Harbaugh, Alex is mediocre at best. It's always been that way and will not change.

Does he make divisional opponent AZ better? Yes. Will that success be good for a few more wins? Yes.

We might beat AZ either way, but theyll gather more wins each season. The 49ers primary focus should to avoid letting Smith go to AZ, because AZ wants him.

The choice is either "make AZ better, or not?" Lets not.

Is it going to make them better to a degree that actually matters to us? I don't think so. It might help Arizona win two extra games but it wont be against us and they will still finish below .500 so I am not opposed. The cardinals have much more gaping holes than just QB fixing that position would be one tiny piece. They still have no running game an unproven coach a swiss cheese defense and a turnstyle ridden offensive line.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Is it going to make them better to a degree that actually matters to us? I don't think so. It might help Arizona win two extra games but it wont be against us and they will still finish below .500 so I am not opposed. The cardinals have much more gaping holes than just QB fixing that position would be one tiny piece. They still have no running game an unproven coach a swiss cheese defense and a turnstyle ridden offensive line.

I think you've seen how quickly teams can turn the corner in the NFL. The Cardinals have a very aggressive defense, they're in prime position to pick up two starters on the offensive line through the draft, they can add a RB and other free agents, teams can go from meh to scary in an instant. Why give the Cardinals anymore of an advantage, especially considering that Smith knows the playbook in and out probably better than some of the coaches.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BayArea:

I think you've seen how quickly teams can turn the corner in the NFL. The Cardinals have a very aggressive defense, they're in prime position to pick up two starters on the offensive line through the draft, they can add a RB and other free agents, teams can go from meh to scary in an instant. Why give the Cardinals anymore of an advantage, especially considering that Smith knows the playbook in and out probably better than some of the coaches.

Their defense just seems to struggle so hard to close out games. Not saying there isn't talent there because there certainly is but they got a ways to go. They often look elite the first half and then fall apart at the end of the game and give the game away.

I know they can make a turn around just saying Alex Smith is not going to fix everything. Also keep in mind the playbook we are running with Kap is not the same playbook we ran for Alex. He might know the plays but as far as that being an advantage to the Cardinals I don't see it being much of one. It might also be a disadvantage as nobody knows Alex and his tendencies better than Jim and the 49ers. From Alex's standpoint he probably wouldn't look forward to facing the 49ers twice a season.
Share 49ersWebzone