LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Alex Smith having knowledge of our playbook is not going to be a big deal. Players change teams all the team and many more are cut every year. Moreover, if a person did give some advice as to some details of the playbook, I highly doubt it would significantly affect the outcome of a game. All our playbook is on display on film anyway.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Niners99:
If we cut him, and he goes to AZ, then our road to more division titles will be harder. Do what DEN did for Tebow. Gather offers, and pick the best few, and let him choose which team he wants to go to of those choices.

LOL

Come on. Alex isn't the type of QB that will give our defense trouble. What's he gonna do in Arizona? Get sacked 8 times by Aldon Smith due to their atrocious offensive line and dump down to Beanie Wells for 4 yards when he does get a pass off? Other than him knowing too much about our offense, Alex Smith going to Arizona (or anywhere else, really) doesn't bother me. Without Harbaugh, Alex is mediocre at best. It's always been that way and will not change.

You have to wonder how many young QBs would have survived Nolan and Singletary. The fact that he even made it to play for Harbaugh is pretty impressive. Also, he was turning the corner at the end of the 2010 season, before Harbaugh got there. Pretty sure Harbaugh saw that which is why he lobbied so hard to keep him.

Many on this board have always been definitive about Alex. He was a complete bust with no chance of ever being any kind of starting QB for a long time. Then he would never be a QB who would have a QB rating over the low 80s range. Then he could never lead a team to a winning record or be clutch. Harbaugh deserves a lot of credit but Smith still had to step on the field execute.

Arizona has a pretty good D, good receivers (with a future hall of famer in his prime) and a coach who has done pretty well with QBs. They shore up that O-Line and get competent QB play, the NFC West is going to be one tough division for years to come. Kaepernick looks like something special but I think that Alex can be more than "mediocre at best." I hope so and wish him only the best.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Alex Smith having knowledge of our playbook is not going to be a big deal. Players change teams all the team and many more are cut every year. Moreover, if a person did give some advice as to some details of the playbook, I highly doubt it would significantly affect the outcome of a game. All our playbook is on display on film anyway.

lol, Alex knowing the details of every play, every read, every audible is a very big deal. To think otherwise would be foolish.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Their defense just seems to struggle so hard to close out games. Not saying there isn't talent there because there certainly is but they got a ways to go. They often look elite the first half and then fall apart at the end of the game and give the game away.

I know they can make a turn around just saying Alex Smith is not going to fix everything. Also keep in mind the playbook we are running with Kap is not the same playbook we ran for Alex. He might know the plays but as far as that being an advantage to the Cardinals I don't see it being much of one. It might also be a disadvantage as nobody knows Alex and his tendencies better than Jim and the 49ers. From Alex's standpoint he probably wouldn't look forward to facing the 49ers twice a season.

You think maybe that has something to do with them being on the field more often than virtually any other defense in the NFL?

Having no QB and no running game will wear a defense out pretty quickly. If they fix up their OL, with Alex and a RB, they can be very dangerous.
Originally posted by jreff22:
lol, Alex knowing the details of every play, every read, every audible is a very big deal. To think otherwise would be foolish.

This. We're not talking about a backup or a special teams player, we're talking about a guy who knows the system better than anyone besides Harbaugh and Roman. You don't want that player remaining in your same conference, let alone in the same division.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Their defense just seems to struggle so hard to close out games. Not saying there isn't talent there because there certainly is but they got a ways to go. They often look elite the first half and then fall apart at the end of the game and give the game away.

I know they can make a turn around just saying Alex Smith is not going to fix everything. Also keep in mind the playbook we are running with Kap is not the same playbook we ran for Alex. He might know the plays but as far as that being an advantage to the Cardinals I don't see it being much of one. It might also be a disadvantage as nobody knows Alex and his tendencies better than Jim and the 49ers. From Alex's standpoint he probably wouldn't look forward to facing the 49ers twice a season.

You think maybe that has something to do with them being on the field more often than virtually any other defense in the NFL?

Having no QB and no running game will wear a defense out pretty quickly. If they fix up their OL, with Alex and a RB, they can be very dangerous.

You are probably right but Alex is only half that equation like you said if they don't get a running back from somewhere Alex will struggle as well. Too be honest I don't even see their lack of a running game as the biggest reason their offense is so horrible. That offensive line needs major work and they will have to spend some high draft picks on it before they take a running back. Forget the fact that the draft class is very weak this year so good luck fixing all that with the draft.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Harbaugh introduces new plays and wrinkles in every game. It's not that big of a deal.
You are probably right but Alex is only half that equation like you said if they don't get a running back from somewhere Alex will struggle as well. Too be honest I don't even see their lack of a running game as the biggest reason their offense is so horrible. That offensive line needs major work and they will have to spend some high draft picks on it before they take a running back. Forget the fact that the draft class is very weak this year so good luck fixing all that with the draft.

Their OL actually improved a lot from the first game until the last. If they can fill in their hole at LT with a guy like Fisher in the first round and their hole at guard with Larry Warford in the second round, all of a sudden they've got a solid OL, add Jonathan Franklin at RB in Round 3 and that is a whole new Cardinals offense.
Harbaugh introduces new plays and wrinkles in every game. It's not that big of a deal.

Seriously, you're still arguing with this? Unless the 49ers plan on overhauling the entire offense, changing up all their audibles, you do NOT want Alex Smith staying in the NFC West, period.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Their OL actually improved a lot from the first game until the last. If they can fill in their hole at LT with a guy like Fisher in the first round and their hole at guard with Larry Warford in the second round, all of a sudden they've got a solid OL, add Jonathan Franklin at RB in Round 3 and that is a whole new Cardinals offense.

If they don't get Alex along with that they will still be losing a lot of games. The way I see it they are probably stuck with Skelton or Kolb once again. I can't see a scenario where the 49ers would want to give the Cardinals any improvements. Especially if they are on the verge of becoming contenders. We got enough trouble with Seattle and the godamned Rams.

If they don't get Alex along with that they will still be losing a lot of games. The way I see it they are probably stuck with Skelton or Kolb once again. I can't see a scenario where the 49ers would want to give the Cardinals any improvements. Especially if they are on the verge of becoming contenders. We got enough trouble with Seattle and the godamned Rams.

Which is the exact reasoning for this debate, I don't want to see Alex remain in the NFC, let alone go to the Cardinals.
They won't trade him in the division. I think thats been pretty obvious. The leaking that the chiefs bills bears and browns want him is no accident. I doubt he gos inside the nfc at all.
Vibrant trade market developing!
In my opinion, if Alex does not play a prominent role in this game today, a Super Bowl win is somewhat incomplete. Although I have never been one of the board cheerleaders for Smith, this was the guy who rallied everyone during the summer of the lockout, even paying airline fares for players flying out to California to practice. To me, it would be a shame to not enjoy the reward of the bad years and keeping the team together. Rotting on the bench with a 100+ rating is a shame.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM ]
Offensive PI, no call

OF COURSE
Share 49ersWebzone