There are 157 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I keep seeing this thread title and thinking "Alex Boone".

Weird.

He had a great voice but the original versions were always better.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Weird.

You hurt my brain.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
The Niners will get next for nothing for Smith. He's gonna walk a free man.

There's a limited market for Smith. I dont see him going to NY, as Rex Ryan is madly in love with Sanchez. So that leaves a handful of teams that are going to bargain for Smith's services, including BUF, PHI, KC, and AZ. I just dont see anyone else vying for him at this time. With that said, the max any of those teams will dish out for him (knowing that he'll be a FA soon) is a 3rd rounder, and more likely a 4th rounder. But the catch is that Niner brass is devoted to Alex Smith. He's done a lot for this organization, and I just dont see York trading him to BUF for a 3rd rounder if Alex goes up to him and says he doesnt want to go there.

And therefore, Alex will be let go for nothing in return.

Now, if it was me, I would trade him to the Jets for Revis. Living out on the East coast, believe me when I tell you that NY fans are in panic mode. Not because they're gonna lose Revis, bc he would have likely walked anyways after next year, but rather bc they think they will end up with nothing in return. NY is not a bad isolated market like BUF or KC. Alex might actually like going there. And NY fans (at least from what Im hearing on the radio) would welcome competition for Sanchez, and are okay with getting a quality** guy for Revis. Just dont know how it would affect our salary cap issue, knowing that we'll be trying to sign Goldson and possibly Moss/Walker this offseason.

Agreed on many fronts. But 4 or 5 teams potentially after one player just to start is a great start for any FA and may provide a win-win for both Alex and us (draft pick/trade). There may be even more that are not satisfied with their current QB situation and see Alex as a seasoned vet/upgrade who can come right in, learn an entire offense in one pre-season and hit the ground running unlike a rookie who may take 2 to 3 years to develop esp. with the current draft class. Last year, Alex only had the Dolphins to bargain with b/c it was the very end of the FA run. This year, he'll have the choices as will the teams knowing he's truly available. We shouldn't underestimate his worth.

I think the biggest mistake in all this is that the news got out that Alex wanted out and we supported it. If other NFL teams were unaware of our stance, maybe we could have held him hostage for the best offer. But teams know that he is out either way, so they're not going to open up the vault to get him. The advantage we have here is that there arent a lot of good QBs in free agency this year, and even less available in the draft. So I can see a team like KC or Zona feel pressured into making a deal, but Im still doubtful. I think he walks for free and signs with Zona -- it gives him a chance to stay in the west coast in a warm climate AND he gets to face us twice every year and rub it in our face (not gonna happen obviously).

I would still push for a trade with the Jets for Revis.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Weird.

You hurt my brain.

No, that was Tom Petty!
I keep reading that the trade or release of Alex Smith is a done deal after the season. Isn't it a bit pre-mature to automatically dump Alex Smith until we know for sure that we have a viable back-up? Smith is still under contract with the 49ers for two years, and who's to say that Alex really wants to go start for a pathetic losing team, and experience a repeat of 2005 all over again. Maybe he would rather stay in S.F. as a back-up? This quote from Smith certainly sounds like he might be willing to consider it. "I'm sure when we get back, there will be plenty of time to sit down with Jim and (general manager) Trent (Baalke) and see what's what," said Smith, who downplayed the idea that he's demanding a starting job somewhere else. "This is a business," Smith said. "I don't really look at it like that. They're going to do what's best, that's their job. They're going to do what's best for the team. I don't know what that is -- obviously a better question for them. ... Like I said, I want to play football, but I'm under contract for two years, so (returning to the team is) certainly a possibility." If we worked out a deal for Smith to say, then we continue to have the best 1-2 QB situation in the league. If we don't, then we may be looking at a huge drop-off in production with our new #2 QB if Kaep goes down, just like all the other teams. We are in a unique position to retain great QB depth if we play our cards right. I realize that $8M per year for a back-up QB is a lot, but we don't know if Alex may be willing to re-structure to stay here. He likes this team, and now we're a winner. It may be more desirable than going 2-14 and getting killed as a starter somewhere else. I'm just say'in, if Alex wants to stay as a back-up, the niners should do everything in their power to accommodate that.
And our starting QB does like to run a lot...(not gonna say it.)

I hear ya
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
only way he can stay is if he takes a BIG pay cut.
Originally posted by susweel:

How big of a paycut
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

How big of a paycut

prolly cant make more than 2 million

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

How big of a paycut

prolly cant make more than 2 million

No way he'd accept that
He won't be back

/thread
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i would lose respect for him if he stays,,, if he stays,, alex has no self respect in my opinion and that is not him.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i would lose respect for him if he stays,,, if he stays,, alex has no self respect in my opinion and that is not him.

You hit the nail on the head cc!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
You hit the nail on the head cc!
we do not need that type of drama and alex needs to go somewhere so he can play the game. the thought of him crawling back to us, willing to be a backup,, is just,,,,
Share 49ersWebzone