LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Alex Smith: The Aftermath (Post SB)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Everyday in this league and others, players hearts are broken when they are sent packing, most don't have 30+ million in the bank with a guaranteed starting job and another 8-9 million a year waiting for them. Don't waste one tear for Alex, feel sorry for Hunter or Manningham who's careers might never be the same post injury.

We got Kaep in the second round, we can not afford to pass up a 2 nd round pick if we can get it.

Emotion is getting in the way of smart business decisions.
[ Edited by SealTeam6 on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BOI49er:
He's worth a second round pick, but with everybody knowing the circumstances that we must release him if he's not traded, we'll get nothing. GM's in this league play hardball, and will not give up something for what will be available for free. You might think that they'd pay when other teams want him too, but history tells us it just doesn't happen. We're going to need that $8M elsewhere on the roster, Alex has been a trooper, and Tom Condin has eight other players on our roster and a good relationship with the team. We'll let Alex find his own best situation and move on. I expect we'll draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round with skill sets more similar to Kaep's than Tolzin.

If Alex is released his contract is void and his price goes up, if you trade for him he is paid $8 million a year. Let him hit the free market and he gets $11-$12 million a year.
Originally posted by BobS:
He's worth a second round pick, but with everybody knowing the circumstances that we must release him if he's not traded, we'll get nothing. GM's in this league play hardball, and will not give up something for what will be available for free. You might think that they'd pay when other teams want him too, but history tells us it just doesn't happen. We're going to need that $8M elsewhere on the roster, Alex has been a trooper, and Tom Condin has eight other players on our roster and a good relationship with the team. We'll let Alex find his own best situation and move on. I expect we'll draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round with skill sets more similar to Kaep's than Tolzin.

If Alex is released his contract is void and his price goes up, if you trade for him he is paid $8 million a year. Let him hit the free market and he gets $11-$12 million a year.

This is what I am thinking, too. Even if he is not a "bargain," the economics favor a trade.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Matt Flynn got a 3 year deal for 19.5 million with only 10 guaranteed and Matt Hasselbeck signed a three-year, $21 million deal. Alex isn't getting 11-12 million per year, especially with insiders saying most teams look at him as a one year stop gap till the first or second round QB is ready.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

This is what I am thinking, too. Even if he is not a "bargain," the economics favor a trade.

Not sure about the numbers, but given that, that begs the question what draft pick would you give up to save $3-4M? I don't know the answer. It would likely only be for one year, because if he's working, you'll want to cut a new contract the year before he's a free agent, and if he's not, he'll be cut.
I'm just a fan, and have no inside information, but this is my take:

From reports on NFL Live and NFL Network's Total Access last night, it sounded like the Niners are going to be willing to work with Alex and his agent to try to help him in his next move. In other words, out of appreciation for the way he handled his demotion, and for all the work, effort and performance he's put in, they're willing to negotiate a trade with another team if that's what he wants.

It may be that they'd be willing to trade him to a team like the Chiefs for practically nothing, say a 3rd rounder, if both Alex and the Chiefs want to do that--so that he gets his guaranteed money from his present contract and goes to another team of his choice.

On the other hand, if he wants his outright release so he can negotiate a new contract, they'd be willing to do that as well. Either way, it sounded like the Niners want to help Alex with his next move as much as they can, given all he's done for the team.

Either way, it appears that the Niners recognize what a true professional and high class person Alex is, and appreciate how well he handled the extremely difficult position he found himself in halfway through the season. Alex could have been a major problem (far, far worse than Brandon Jacobs), but--though he made it clear he still wants to start--he still sacrificed himself and his own interests for the benefit of the team.

I think I admire Alex Smith more now than I ever have. He's been through every tough test and difficult trial that an NFL QB could be put through, and he never wavered in his dedication to the team.

I may not be a fan of whatever team he's on next season, but I will always be an admirer of Alex Smith.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Well then, never mind. That makes it all ok.

...or you could re-read the rules and consider whether you...as opposed to others... are following them.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I am.

You're welcome.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Matt Flynn got a 3 year deal for 19.5 million with only 10 guaranteed and Matt Hasselbeck signed a three-year, $21 million deal. Alex isn't getting 11-12 million per year, especially with insiders saying most teams look at him as a one year stop gap till the first or second round QB is ready.

Where did you hear this? Besides some random tweet I haven't heard this being said once. Link?
Originally posted by jreff22: Originally posted by Jakemall:KC might be a good place too....Or even the Eagles.I'd also add that being that methodical and efficient isn't easy...it requires a significant amount of skill. If every qb out there could do it...they would.He would get eaten alive in Philly.

I don't know about that. He survived the "we want carr" and much worse here.

I'm surprised at the number of people here who do not get the concept of goodwill. Also, in regards to trading Montana: Montana did not go gently into that good night when he was replaced...it stirred it up. He was not a team player. He didn't help the other guy. Huge difference.

Still not saying Alex won't be traded...but I think it'll be more about letting him go to the team he wants and then working out a deal.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I think the real question here is this. No matter if he gets cut or traded, for whatever the FO can get for him, I wonder what will happen to the Zone without anymore Alex Smith threads?

Its been so many years of my life, reading the insanity, seeing the bans, I guess Ill have to drink more. Thanks Alex, Thanks Jim. There goes whats rest of my liver.

Alex Smith isn't leaving the zone. His thread will be moved to the NFL forum. It will most likely be the most popular thread in that forum.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Where did you hear this? Besides some random tweet I haven't heard this being said once. Link?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000132533/Rapoport-Alex-Smith-will-not-be-a-49ers-next-year
I would be OK with trying to work out a trade with a team that Alex really wants to go to IF they compensation is fair. What I would not be OK with is just cutting him to be nice because of his loyalty to the team. He got paid a LOT of money and his career has come full circle because of Jim Harbaugh. I dont think the Niners "owe" him anything at all. He is a commodity and just giving him away for nothing would be stupid.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Alex got paid and an opportunity to finally prove he belongs in the NFL. We owe him nothing!

cold hearted.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000132533/Rapoport-Alex-Smith-will-not-be-a-49ers-next-year

Yeah, great dude but teams will really want to trade for him in that the 2 years left works great for any team so that they can draft a QB and work him in after 2 years. We may get the 2nd round we desire.

From the outside looking in, Alex is simply a stop-gap and him leading a team deep into the playoffs would be a plus on the expectations of that team.

The ideal situation is to release him, let him get a high salary, and we never miss the extra picks he would have given us in trade on our path to multiple Superbowls. BUT, SB's are hard to come by and so are solid picks. We need them for this team's future. In the long run, no one will care if we trade Alex. It is all up to him to prove to whatever team he goes on that he IS a franchise QB and to redo his contract if he proves that.

I saw his tweet. You said insiders like there were several who've said this. Thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone