LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Is Dashon Goldson the best FS in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He improved towards the end of last year. This year, he's been making tackles upfront, making plays, and solid in coverage. Would hate to see him go next year. In some ways, being in this defense help him to where he is too. Might not be as good if he goes to another team.

This team highly values the middle of the field and will not let a part in that middle that is helping the defense become top 5 go.

FS---SS
RILB---LILB
DE-NT-DE
QB*
FB
RB

*only player not helping that aspect become top 5 which explains the contract....tee-hee.
Originally posted by Joecool:
He improved towards the end of last year. This year, he's been making tackles upfront, making plays, and solid in coverage. Would hate to see him go next year. In some ways, being in this defense help him to where he is too. Might not be as good if he goes to another team.

This team highly values the middle of the field and will not let a part in that middle that is helping the defense become top 5 go.

FS---SS
RILB---LILB
DE-NT-DE
QB*
FB
RB

*only player not helping that aspect become top 5 which explains the contract....tee-hee.

No Oline, Joe...tsk.tsk.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Why do you say that? I think he will be good anywhere he goes.

Only because we have a combo of good up front guys and CBs. It tends to free him up to do more in the playing making side -- take calculated chances. With another team he may have to be more aware of his responsibility to help out. But no question on his physical ability or speed and improved tackling, would be the same.
Originally posted by Joecool:

FS---SS
RILB---LILB
DE-NT-DE
QB*
FB
RB

Joecool... get off your high horse homes. This team values the entire field. Did you really put FB up there? I think they value WR more than FB, homes. Is FS and SS truly the middle? That was s bad statement. Not sure where you pulled that from, lol

You make some decent points, and then do a typical "know it all" response with a hint of hating on the QB. I still like you though.
Only because we have a combo of good up front guys and CBs. It tends to free him up to do more in the playing making side -- take calculated chances. With another team he may have to be more aware of his responsibility to help out. But no question on his physical ability or speed and improved tackling, would be the same.

He is a lot more disciplined this year. That is him maturing. I see what you're saying, but relatively speaking, FS is a more "independent" position. Kind of like CB, but not as much.

If I can but-in: I think all of our defensive backs are getting A level coaching right now. Plus, he's been playing in the same or very similar system for years now and he knows the guys around him well. I think it would be hard to duplicate that if he went somewhere else. A lot of what he does has to do with trust in the guys around you and knowing the scheme like the back of your hand.
From Eric Branch

I asked #49ers safety and pending free agent Dashon Goldson if he was confident he'd land a long-term deal …

"Yeah, somewhere," he said. "Somewhere. Hopefully it's here, but it's hard to say. I'm doing the right things on and off the field, but I don't know. I don't hear it. I don't hear, stuff like 'We're really happy.' I don't get that assurance. So you don't ever know. You don't know what's going to happen." Goldson, who received the franchise tag this season, could get tagged again next year, at 120 percent of his 2012 salary.

Im telling you all this dude cares about is his money, once he gets paid his play is gonna decline rapidly
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
From Eric Branch

I asked #49ers safety and pending free agent Dashon Goldson if he was confident he'd land a long-term deal …

"Yeah, somewhere," he said. "Somewhere. Hopefully it's here, but it's hard to say. I'm doing the right things on and off the field, but I don't know. I don't hear it. I don't hear, stuff like 'We're really happy.' I don't get that assurance. So you don't ever know. You don't know what's going to happen." Goldson, who received the franchise tag this season, could get tagged again next year, at 120 percent of his 2012 salary.

Im telling you all this dude cares about is his money, once he gets paid his play is gonna decline rapidly

Honestly, I don't blame him about caring so much about a long term deal. I would be feeling the same way. He plays wreckless also. Any play could be his last... Eff it, franchise him a couple of more times than, lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
From Eric Branch

Baalke needs to get his head out of his ass and sign this guy.
From Eric Branch

Or maybe he has really low self-esteem and needs constant reassurance...

Seriously, doe: I think it's clear money is his top priority, with that said, he doesn't strike me as a guy that would fad into the back round after getting paid. He plays with so much heart, its hard for me to believe its all about the money? But who really knows.

Poor little Goldson gets no respect.....

"Ed Reed's a little different guy, the way he's always played safety," Fangio said. "Ed's got tremendous instincts and a great feel for the ball, tremendous ball skills. And Ed's one of the best safeties in this era the last 10, 15 years, for sure. But Dashon, I think, is right up there with him."
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

If I can but-in: I think all of our defensive backs are getting A level coaching right now. Plus, he's been playing in the same or very similar system for years now and he knows the guys around him well. I think it would be hard to duplicate that if he went somewhere else. A lot of what he does has to do with trust in the guys around you and knowing the scheme like the back of your hand.

Good point. What I was trying to say or getting to-- but too lazy to get there.

Solid post... I still think he would be top five anywhere he went cause dude is so physically gifted, but I agree with you.

Solid post... I still think he would be top five anywhere he went cause dude is so physically gifted, but I agree with you.

Thanks. I learned from the best in the Smith thread.....

Thanks. I learned from the best in the Smith thread.....

A lot of good knowledge articulated so well in that thread. Part 3 that is.
franchise him again next year, then let his ass walk
Share 49ersWebzone