LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

49ers looking at Josh Cribbs?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Didn't Cleveland say they were not interested in trading Cribbs? So were mad at our gm for not going all Godfather and giving them an offer they cant refuse?
Originally posted by 9erObsession:
Didn't Cleveland say they were not interested in trading Cribbs? So were mad at our gm for not going all Godfather and giving them an offer they cant refuse?

im more mad at our GM for passing up aaron rodgers and desean jackson for the likes of alex smith and kentwan balmer.
because if he had the common sense to attempt to trade for Cribbs he would have drafted Desean Jackson THE FIRST TIME HE CAME AROUND!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
you mean just like he didn't trade for Cutler and Cassel?

-9fA

I would take Cutler over Alex Smith. He may look bad this but he has much more upside then Alex ever will.

Your right about cutler. But think about it. It cost an arm and 2 leg's just to get him to the bears. So really we have to offer more then them. Then we still would have had a sitty oline we wouldn't have had a draft pick to get crabtree we wouldn't have 2 first rounder this season either to get some oline and secondary help. I rather keep alex fix the other problems and then we can worry about a qb and by then warner will be a free agent again!
Originally posted by backontop:
because if he had the common sense to attempt to trade for Cribbs he would have drafted Desean Jackson THE FIRST TIME HE CAME AROUND!

Yeah, we need a GM that can predict the future.

Hindsight FTW.
Originally posted by 9erObsession:

Yes.

Earlier this season it was reported that the Browns were going to start entertaining trade offers so they could start purging their roster. Braylon was the main guy they were trying to get rid of, but it was also reported that we, and a few other teams, were interested in acquiring Cribbs. The Browns immediately came out and said that he wasn't available.

If they would've let Cribbs go for a 3rd or 4th, he'd be on our roster right now.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by OokiChin:
Josh Cribbs in the middle of season like he could have? he is tearing it up and could have been the answer to punt/kick return problems. i honestly think with him in the lineup we could have made the playoffs. how many games have we lost by less than a touchdown.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt he a free agent? if he is and we dont pick him up, i will be EXTREMLY pisssed

Do you really think it is that simple? Before a trade or a signing, a GM has to conduct a considerable amount of due diligence. Free agent signings are a bit less complicated as they are usually during the off-season where things aren't going a hundred miles a minute. Just think, if a GM sees a couple of spectacular plays from watching SportsCenter and then decides "Hell, we should trade for this guy!" Then the people under him will never go home.

Also, the GM is one man. It seems like everyone expects him to take care of every aspect of the organization: from picking the right coaches to finding the perfect punt returner. A GM, like the COO, will most likely get briefed by the people under him on what the team needs are. If Everest and Singletary confides to him that there is no problem with the punt returner and that they will find a solution, what do you expect the GM to do?

With that said, I think Scott does not have enough experience to be a successful GM. A GM's job is not to be the best at scouting or spotting good FA's. Their job is to create a team that can handle all of these areas, and so far, Scott has not done that. At the very least, I think we need to hire a consultant or mentor to guide Scott down the right path.

correct me if im wrong but isnt it up to the GM to trade for players? plus, any moron could see what have a desperate need for a punt returner

Its not necceassrly the GM, it deals with owner, coaches, and whether they wanna give in and sign him to a huge deal.

I would love Cribbs, but not if it meant a 1st or 2nd, not when there are so many young guys in this draft to take.

AB- is there anyone in college football that has cribbs potential we could pick up?

I personally love Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss.

ANd of course Spiller, but i dont know if we draft a RS in rd 1.

theres others, like Javier Arenas, LeRoy Vann, Walter Thurmond, etc..
^ Arenas is a strong possibility. He seems like a high-character guy and extremely coachable, judging by interviews and the way he speaks and carries himself. Plus, Scot has said in the past that he likes SEC CBs.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
madden is the bane of modern football. Now everyone thinks they're a GM who can "just trade" for anyone they want, like it's really that simple....

Agreed.

BTW, the Eagles and every other team passed on DeSean Jackson in the 1st round, so STFU already about McC not drafting him. Numerous teams passed him up in the 2nd round also.

-9fA

if you ask me, im glad he didnt trade for them...could you imigane cutler in a niner uniform? he would be throwing 4 picks a game and cassel, what has he done lately

Agreed. But IIRC, there was a lot of uproar that McCloughan wasn't wheeling and dealing and getting these players.

The answer to your question is that it would most likely cost us a high draft pick(s) when a PR/KR can be found instead in the 4th round. As you can see, we need those picks ourselves.

Another answer to your question is that he simply wasn't on the trade block.

-9fA

i cant see any 4th rounder doing what cribbs has been doing and please lets not forget the peope we have chosen with our 3rd and 4th round picks, other than gore, it has been horrible

Huh? Cribbs himself went undrafted. You don't need to spend 1st and 2nd rounders to find quality KRs and PRs when they'll be available in latter rounds.

That McCloughan hasn't done anything with 3rd or 4th round picks is another thread. I would have traded a 3rd or a 4th for Cribbs FWIW.

-9fA

Yep, you and the entire rest of the league would have traded 3rd & 4th round picks to get Cribbs.

The problem (as you pointed out earlier and has apparently been ignored by many in this thread) is that the Browns have absolutely no interest in trading him.

He does much more than just return kicks for them. He's their #1 WR. It was his emergence that allowed them to deal an underperforming Braylon Edwards. He's also running their wildcat and even lining up at RB. He's the sole bright spot for a failing franchise. The fans would revolt if they traded him for anything less than a blockbuster deal.

If Scot had paid whatever outrageous price they demanded, than most of the ppl b*tching in the thread would be starting other threads about how "McClueless" got ripped off by the Browns, LOL.

Originally posted by OokiChin:

-9fA

I would take Cutler over Alex Smith. He may look bad this but he has much more upside then Alex ever will.

Really? I like Smith's maturity when it comes to dealing with adversity. Cutler, quite frankly, acted like a little b!tch

True but Cutler has shown that he can put up good numbers.

so you would have traded for cutler?

and given up what the bears gave up for him? no thank you.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
cause he is scott McClueless.

this

you guys have no idea what Clev was asking for in trade. Or what cribbs wants in terms of a contract!
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Cribbs is still under contract for four more years, and you dont trade a first rd pick for a KR. You get these guys late in drafts or undrafted. Plus he is getting a new deal this offseason.
I saw a mention of cutler over alex. Cutler would quit right after Sing ripped his butt for thowing one pick let alone three!
why didn't anyone?
I think what everyone forgot was that Cribbs was "rumored" to be in the trade block. But their GM stated that they weren't looking to trade Cribbs.
Share 49ersWebzone