LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

49ers looking at Josh Cribbs?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
you mean just like he didn't trade for Cutler and Cassel?

-9fA

if you ask me, im glad he didnt trade for them...could you imigane cutler in a niner uniform? he would be throwing 4 picks a game and cassel, what has he done lately

Agreed. But IIRC, there was a lot of uproar that McCloughan wasn't wheeling and dealing and getting these players.

The answer to your question is that it would most likely cost us a high draft pick(s) when a PR/KR can be found instead in the 4th round. As you can see, we need those picks ourselves.

Another answer to your question is that he simply wasn't on the trade block.

-9fA

i cant see any 4th rounder doing what cribbs has been doing and please lets not forget the peope we have chosen with our 3rd and 4th round picks, other than gore, it has been horrible

Huh? Cribbs himself went undrafted. You don't need to spend 1st and 2nd rounders to find quality KRs and PRs when they'll be available in latter rounds.

That McCloughan hasn't done anything with 3rd or 4th round picks is another thread. I would have traded a 3rd or a 4th for Cribbs FWIW.

-9fA

-9fA

• OokiChin
  • Info N/A
Josh Cribbs in the middle of season like he could have? he is tearing it up and could have been the answer to punt/kick return problems. i honestly think with him in the lineup we could have made the playoffs. how many games have we lost by less than a touchdown.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt he a free agent? if he is and we dont pick him up, i will be EXTREMLY pisssed

Do you really think it is that simple? Before a trade or a signing, a GM has to conduct a considerable amount of due diligence. Free agent signings are a bit less complicated as they are usually during the off-season where things aren't going a hundred miles a minute. Just think, if a GM sees a couple of spectacular plays from watching SportsCenter and then decides "Hell, we should trade for this guy!" Then the people under him will never go home.

Also, the GM is one man. It seems like everyone expects him to take care of every aspect of the organization: from picking the right coaches to finding the perfect punt returner. A GM, like the COO, will most likely get briefed by the people under him on what the team needs are. If Everest and Singletary confides to him that there is no problem with the punt returner and that they will find a solution, what do you expect the GM to do?

With that said, I think Scott does not have enough experience to be a successful GM. A GM's job is not to be the best at scouting or spotting good FA's. Their job is to create a team that can handle all of these areas, and so far, Scott has not done that. At the very least, I think we need to hire a consultant or mentor to guide Scott down the right path.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

-9fA

I would take Cutler over Alex Smith. He may look bad this but he has much more upside then Alex ever will.
Can we trade the posters who will find anything to b***h about after a loss?
Originally posted by susweel:

-9fA

I would take Cutler over Alex Smith. He may look bad this but he has much more upside then Alex ever will.

Guy has a lot of downside too.
  • OokiChin
  • Info N/A

-9fA

Really? I like Smith's maturity when it comes to dealing with adversity. Cutler, quite frankly, acted like a little b!tch
[ Edited by OokiChin on Dec 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM ]
Originally posted by The_Distort:

lol wtf? what does this have to do with our loss?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by OokiChin:

-9fA

Really? I like Smith's maturity when it comes to dealing with adversity. Cutler, quite frankly, acted like a little b!tch

True but Cutler has shown that he can put up good numbers.
Josh Cribbs in the middle of season like he could have? he is tearing it up and could have been the answer to punt/kick return problems. i honestly think with him in the lineup we could have made the playoffs. how many games have we lost by less than a touchdown.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt he a free agent? if he is and we dont pick him up, i will be EXTREMLY pisssed

Yeah that's a shame. Maybe . . . just hunch here . . . they might have been asking for too much in return.

Cutler sucks. I'd take Smith in a second over him. Cutler isn't as overrated as he used to be, because he is playing down to his potential now.

Do you really think it is that simple? Before a trade or a signing, a GM has to conduct a considerable amount of due diligence. Free agent signings are a bit less complicated as they are usually during the off-season where things aren't going a hundred miles a minute. Just think, if a GM sees a couple of spectacular plays from watching SportsCenter and then decides "Hell, we should trade for this guy!" Then the people under him will never go home.

Also, the GM is one man. It seems like everyone expects him to take care of every aspect of the organization: from picking the right coaches to finding the perfect punt returner. A GM, like the COO, will most likely get briefed by the people under him on what the team needs are. If Everest and Singletary confides to him that there is no problem with the punt returner and that they will find a solution, what do you expect the GM to do?

With that said, I think Scott does not have enough experience to be a successful GM. A GM's job is not to be the best at scouting or spotting good FA's. Their job is to create a team that can handle all of these areas, and so far, Scott has not done that. At the very least, I think we need to hire a consultant or mentor to guide Scott down the right path.

correct me if im wrong but isnt it up to the GM to trade for players? plus, any moron could see what have a desperate need for a punt returner

correct me if im wrong but isnt it up to the GM to trade for players? plus, any moron could see what have a desperate need for a punt returner

Its not necceassrly the GM, it deals with owner, coaches, and whether they wanna give in and sign him to a huge deal.

I would love Cribbs, but not if it meant a 1st or 2nd, not when there are so many young guys in this draft to take.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Its not necceassrly the GM, it deals with owner, coaches, and whether they wanna give in and sign him to a huge deal.

I would love Cribbs, but not if it meant a 1st or 2nd, not when there are so many young guys in this draft to take.

AB- is there anyone in college football that has cribbs potential we could pick up?
Originally posted by The_Distort:

lol wtf? what does this have to do with our loss?

It has nothing to do with our loss. I'm just saying that I wish we could trade all you whiney posters who blame Mcloughan/Sing/Smith etc, after every loss. Then when we win one, everyone is nice and quiet. You had to know we were probably going to lose the Eagles game going in. b***hing about not trading for Cribbs has little to do with the loss.
Share 49ersWebzone