There are 232 users in the forums

Peyton Manning

Shop 49ers game tickets
Give me the Peyton Manning our team 49ers pls.. Peyton Manning is all the best QB league ever!
Originally posted by fastforward:
Manning (if acquired by trade) will cost any team at least two ways: draft pick(s), and cap hit. Any team trading for him will inherit the outsized contract that he got. Given the cap room and the free agents that the 49ers have to re-sign, getting Manning could destroy the defense.

That's definetily a fair point, but I'm still taking Manning. You can find bargain corners (see Rogers), you can develop linebackers (see Brooks), but the odds of finding a quarterback at Manning's level not a chance.

I want to repeat that I'm not advocating for this though. Indy's probally going to keep Manning anyways for the year, and Smith is playing good enough football to get that extension.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Give me the Peyton Manning our team 49ers pls.. Peyton Manning is all the best QB league ever!

This. Our team 49ers pls LAWD
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
Rumors are flying about the colts trading Peyton Manning in the event that they draft Andrew Luck.. If this happens I think we should be first in line to get this guy... It would instantly make us the team to beat in the NFL.

All the pro manning people in this thread are assuming he will be the same player when he comes back...

That he:
1. won't pull a mcnabb and cross the finish line.
2. Won't be scared to take a hit, and hear footsteps.
3. How do we know he will be able to run our offense? Behind OUR oline?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Yeah and he was 41 years old at that point. His body fell apart.

Peyton Manning will be 36 next season. If he comes to a team and gives 2 or 3 Brett Favre 2009 seasons it's well worth the move. 1 Super Bowl ring justifies any draft pick.

Not that I'm hoping that we bring him in. Way too early to be speculating about that, and Alex is playing just fine. I'm just saying hell f*cking yes I would take him at this stage of his career.

Brett Favre's Vikings never won the Super Bowl. Neither did his Jets. He bombed with the Jets and had 1 good year with the Vikings.

Manning's one of my favorite all time players. I would want him more than anyone. You know if we weren't already playoff bound with a 91 QB rating out of our starting QB.
Ah, nevermind. Not going to happen.

go alex...
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
Rumors are flying about the colts trading Peyton Manning in the event that they draft Andrew Luck.. If this happens I think we should be first in line to get this guy... It would instantly make us the team to beat in the NFL.

All the pro manning people in this thread are assuming he will be the same player when he comes back...

That he:
1. won't pull a mcnabb and cross the finish line.
2. Won't be scared to take a hit, and hear footsteps.
3. How do we know he will be able to run our offense? Behind OUR oline?

Have you ever seen this guy play? Kidding

They only concern is his health. McNabb and Favre have nothing on Peyton. He one of the greatest to ever play the game. I know Favre is beloved, but he was extremely inconsistent and an Int machine.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
That's definetily a fair point, but I'm still taking Manning. You can find bargain corners (see Rogers), you can develop linebackers (see Brooks), but the odds of finding a quarterback at Manning's level not a chance.

I want to repeat that I'm not advocating for this though. Indy's probally going to keep Manning anyways for the year, and Smith is playing good enough football to get that extension.

I agree that the odds of finding a Manning-like QB is extremely low, but there is a risk with getting a post-serious-injury Manning. You don't know what you'll get, and the worst thing you could possibly do is to saddle your team with a huge salary for a player who, based on pure QB statistics, at best can play one or two more years a a high level. Because of the cap hit, your team will have a setback in terms of player quality across the board.

Just look at the Colts and the Patriots. Their defenses are bad now because they haven't paid enough on the defensive side. The only difference is the Patriots are lucky that Brady can play. Not so much for the Colts.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Brett Favre's Vikings never won the Super Bowl. Neither did his Jets. He bombed with the Jets and had 1 good year with the Vikings.

Manning's one of my favorite all time players. I would want him more than anyone. You know if we weren't already playoff bound with a 91 QB rating out of our starting QB.

They were 1 Brett Favre throwing the ball across his body play away from the Super Bowl. 1 play. There's no denying that Peyton Manning is a much smarter quarterback than Brett Favre.

Like I said this isn't meant to be anti Alex because I have no problem extending him. The thing is we're 29th in passing and Alex is a free agent who could end up getting Fitzpatrick, Kolb type money. I'm just running the hypotheticially situation that Manning is available and Smith for whatever reason isn't brought back.
I just listened to Peyton answer questions about Andrew Luck and after hearing his responses, im convinced he DOESNT want Luck on his team. First of all, Peyton was providing plenty of substantive answers to questions up until he was asked whether he would support the pick and groom Luck. Peyton didnt want to answer such a simple question. Secondly, prior to that question he clarified that his convo with Polian happened 2 years ago. Finally, Peyton said he wants to continue to play and not retire or coach. That sounds like we wants to go another 5 or 6 years and Luck would not be drafted to sit for that long. Also, I remember once reading or hearing that Peyton wanted to retire in Indy. Thaat

Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I just listened to Peyton answer questions about Andrew Luck and after hearing his responses, im convinced he DOESNT want Luck on his team. First of all, Peyton was providing plenty of substantive answers to questions up until he was asked whether he would support the pick and groom Luck. Peyton didnt want to answer such a simple question. Secondly, prior to that question he clarified that his convo with Polian happened 2 years ago. Finally, Peyton said he wants to continue to play and not retire or coach. That sounds like we wants to go another 5 or 6 years and Luck would not be drafted to sit for that long. Also, I remember once reading or hearing that Peyton wanted to retire in Indy. Thaat

We don't always get what we want. His health will decide some of this.

No. He chokes in the postseason and is a regular season hero. Nothing more, nothing less. Great QB yes, but the greatest ever? No.
Originally posted by Youngb:

No. He chokes in the postseason and is a regular season hero. Nothing more, nothing less. Great QB yes, but the greatest ever? No.

Best QB ever? That would be, what was his name now? Wore number 16.

Surprised I have to mention this!
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Youngb:

Best QB ever? That would be, what was his name now? Wore number 16.

Surprised I have to mention this!

Joe Mon-tain-yuh?
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Not to mention the fact this guy rarely gets sacked. Will he be okay behind our O line? WIll he make it better? Will he hold up getting sacked 9 times game? will that even happen?
OH LAWD

I think Manning had one of the worst o-lines last season. Just watching how quickly he got the ball out was a thing to behold.
Share 49ersWebzone