Jay Cutler?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erLifer:
Originally posted by 49ersfan4life:
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
and you would rather have alex? agian wow. Alteast he can win some games!

I would. And Alex can win games. Plus, if we're going to be a running team, Alex is a great QB to lead the offense. He makes wise decisions and will not turn the ball over as long as we provide him with decent protection.

2 things i have an issue with here:

1: If you project Alex's #'s for playing in 37 games (which Cutler has) he would have roughly the same amount of INT's while playing in conservative offenses while Cutler has been in aggressive offense. Alex has thrown 12 more INT's than TD's while Cutler has thrown 17 more TD's than INT's.

In terms of yards and TD's what Cutler did last year alone equals what Alex has done in his entire career, while Cutler has also an 8% higher completion rate and almost 25 higher QB rating in career #'s. So to sum it up, Cutler and Alex are basically on the same level in terms of turning the ball over while Cutler has been MUCH MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE than Alex in terms of yardage, TD's and Completion %. Remember Alex Smith in a West Coast offense? 1TD and 11INT's? Then take a look at Cutler and it's that much more impressive.

2: The second part of your sentence is the most obvious general statement you can make which can EASILY apply to Cutler as well.

Check and Mate

Comparing Cutler's numbers to Smith's is ridiculous. If you think that is a solid argument, you're kidding yourself. The 49ers have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past 10 years. The Broncos on the other hand have been a competitive team. Alex Smith was thrown into a horrible situation and was not provide any support (minus Norv Turner). Cutler has been able to play in a stable offense with an excellent supporting cast. If Alex Smith had Brandon Marshall to throw to and nothing else, his numbers would be a lot better as well.

You didn't check mate anything. Your argument is bogus.

Alexcuses.

Would you consider guys like Joey Harrington and David Carr horrible players?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Detroit Lions should be all over this. Give up their later 1st round draft pick for Cutler, and select BPA at OT.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmbgeek87:
Detroit Lions should be all over this. Give up their later 1st round draft pick for Cutler, and select BPA at OT.

Definitely, give Denver their 20th overall and maybe a late round pick too. Then get Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe with the 1st pick.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

I would. And Alex can win games. Plus, if we're going to be a running team, Alex is a great QB to lead the offense. He makes wise decisions and will not turn the ball over as long as we provide him with decent protection.

1: If you project Alex's #'s for playing in 37 games (which Cutler has) he would have roughly the same amount of INT's while playing in conservative offenses while Cutler has been in aggressive offense. Alex has thrown 12 more INT's than TD's while Cutler has thrown 17 more TD's than INT's.

In terms of yards and TD's what Cutler did last year alone equals what Alex has done in his entire career, while Cutler has also an 8% higher completion rate and almost 25 higher QB rating in career #'s. So to sum it up, Cutler and Alex are basically on the same level in terms of turning the ball over while Cutler has been MUCH MUCH MORE PRODUCTIVE than Alex in terms of yardage, TD's and Completion %. Remember Alex Smith in a West Coast offense? 1TD and 11INT's? Then take a look at Cutler and it's that much more impressive.

2: The second part of your sentence is the most obvious general statement you can make which can EASILY apply to Cutler as well.

Check and Mate

Comparing Cutler's numbers to Smith's is ridiculous. If you think that is a solid argument, you're kidding yourself. The 49ers have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past 10 years. The Broncos on the other hand have been a competitive team. Alex Smith was thrown into a horrible situation and was not provide any support (minus Norv Turner). Cutler has been able to play in a stable offense with an excellent supporting cast. If Alex Smith had Brandon Marshall to throw to and nothing else, his numbers would be a lot better as well.

Alexcuses.

I think in the future whenever Alex Smith's name is written there should be an * next to it with the following comment.

* It wasn't his fault.
Jay Cutler> Kurt Warner...trade the first for high second round picks if denver has em...throw in S. Spencer......if they need a corner
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Envy:

Check and Mate

Alexcuses.

I think in the future whenever Alex Smith's name is written there should be an * next to it with the following comment.

* It wasn't his fault.

Doesn't change the fact that he is a QB who has really done nothing in this league and the shoulder on his throwing arm is a mess. Alex Smith is a bust, just like the Joey Harrington's and David Carr's of this world.

People said that David Carr was a subject of being on a horrible Texans team, he goes to Carolina and stinks, and now he is the #3 QB with the Giants. Is Harrington even in the league anymore?? Alex Smith is just like these guys.

[ Edited by 49ersfan4life on Mar 1, 2009 at 12:07:52 ]
Originally posted by dmbgeek87:

Thats a very good call.. There are several teams that should be all over this. Are you kidding me? If I was Minnesota I would give up a #1 and a #3 so fast your head would spin. I know they gave up a #4 for Rosenfels but he would be a nice backup behind Cutler. This is a team that has never won a SB and they have all the pieces to contend. To me it would be a no brainer.

I would think that Denver could get all these teams very interested:
Niners, Jets, Bucs, Bears, Vikes, Lions
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Envy:

Check and Mate

Alexcuses.

* It wasn't his fault.

Doesn't change the fact that he is a QB who has really done nothing in this league and the shoulder on his throwing arm is a mess. Alex Smith is a bust, just like the Joey Harrington's and David Carr's of this world.

People said that David Carr was a subject of being on a horrible Texans team, he goes to Carolina and stinks, and now he is the #3 QB with the Giants. Is Harrington even in the league anymore?? Alex Smith is just like these guys.

I agree. I was being facetious
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by NinerNZ:
Originally posted by RKab:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
cutler sucks ass, Smith beat him when Denver was win and in and lost to Smith. Cutler is the most overrated QB i've seen in a while. I'll pass on the choke job thank you very much

True that, please do not trade for cutler,

You guys are aware that there were 2 NFL seasons since then. And that was Cutler's 5th NFL game as the starter and since then he's become a pro bowl QB.

Since then Alex Smith has become the biggest bust in 49er history and has not been able to stay healthy enough to even get on the field while Cutler is a career 87.1 passer who threw for 4,500+ yards last year.

I'd give them whatever they want outside of a Herschel Walker deal to get Cutler and get a franchise QB.

Clayton on ESPN just said Cutler is very upset with McDaniels and that Denver is fielding calls from a number of teams and has to seriously consider trading Cutler.

Since Nolan is so good with QBs, I think they need a Mike Nolan-Jay Cutler sit down, that will guarantee he'll want to play somewhere else, lol.

Hey! . . . don't be injecting any realism into this discussion.
Cutler doesn't rate enough to carry Alex's jock . . . let's leave it at that!

You do realize that cutler doesn't have a winning record at all..who cares if he was a pro bowl qb, I belive d anderson was to and he got benched, wasn't jeff george a pro bowler on year and he was a strong armed qb, cutler is garbage man I'm not saying aex is the best qb I'm saying I'd rather have shaun hill start than waste picks on gay cutler

You do realized that whether a team wins or loses has a lot to do with scheming and TEAM effort. e.g. if an offense regularly puts up 50 points on offense but the defense regularly gives up 60, the team is going to lose. Why do I even have to explain this?
When looking at a single player, you have to evaluate whether the player has the TOOLS to excel a his position, you can't say he comes from a team with a losing record so he sucks . . . well you could, but you'd have to be intellectually challenged to make that argument. Cutler is NOT a one year wonder like Anderson was (are you sure that he was a probowler? don't make me look it up). He has improved each year, while his supporting cast has got worse. He has the intangibles that George lacked.
You simply lack any credibility when you say a pro bowler like Cutler is garbage.
Cutler has every tool that you're looking for in a QB, plus the intangibles in spades. He's a pro bowler just beginning his career. He's only going to get better
Originally posted by RKab:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
cutler sucks ass, Smith beat him when Denver was win and in and lost to Smith. Cutler is the most overrated QB i've seen in a while. I'll pass on the choke job thank you very much

True that, please do not trade for cutler,

You guys are aware that there were 2 NFL seasons since then. And that was Cutler's 5th NFL game as the starter and since then he's become a pro bowl QB.

Since then Alex Smith has become the biggest bust in 49er history and has not been able to stay healthy enough to even get on the field while Cutler is a career 87.1 passer who threw for 4,500+ yards last year.

I'd give them whatever they want outside of a Herschel Walker deal to get Cutler and get a franchise QB.

Clayton on ESPN just said Cutler is very upset with McDaniels and that Denver is fielding calls from a number of teams and has to seriously consider trading Cutler.

Since Nolan is so good with QBs, I think they need a Mike Nolan-Jay Cutler sit down, that will guarantee he'll want to play somewhere else, lol.

Hey! . . . don't be injecting any realism into this discussion.
Cutler doesn't rate enough to carry Alex's jock . . . let's leave it at that!

You do realize that cutler doesn't have a winning record at all..who cares if he was a pro bowl qb, I belive d anderson was to and he got benched, wasn't jeff george a pro bowler on year and he was a strong armed qb, cutler is garbage man I'm not saying aex is the best qb I'm saying I'd rather have shaun hill start than waste picks on gay cutler

You do realized that whether a team wins or loses has a lot to do with scheming and TEAM effort. e.g. if an offense regularly puts up 50 points on offense but the defense regularly gives up 60, the team is going to lose. Why do I even have to explain this?
When looking at a single player, you have to evaluate whether the player has the TOOLS to excel a his position, you can't say he comes from a team with a losing record so he sucks . . . well you could, but you'd have to be intellectually challenged to make that argument. Cutler is NOT a one year wonder like Anderson was (are you sure that he was a probowler? don't make me look it up). He has improved each year, while his supporting cast has got worse. He has the intangibles that George lacked.
You simply lack any credibility when you say a pro bowler like Cutler is garbage.
Cutler has every tool that you're looking for in a QB, plus the intangibles in spades. He's a pro bowler just beginning his career. He's only going to get better

Exactly

So I guess that means Carson Palmer is garbage too huh? I mean what has he done in Cincy...nothing, what a bum .

• NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
I love all of the idiots and morons on here saying dont get Cutler he cant play and Warner would just plain suck without two big wrs. If you are 8 9 or 10 years old you really shouldnt post on here and if not try watching some football at least for 1 full season.

Who would disagree with you? Clearly you're a genius.

Do you remember Warner's final play of the Super Bowl this year? Do you remember his interception before half time? That would be a sign of things to come if he were to join the 49ers.

And Cutler hasn't proven anything. I'd rather take a quality tackle or pass rusher with the tenth pick and address a point of concern. Then I'd use my remaining chips and put them in Alex's pocket and let him redeem himself in the eye's of the organization and fans.

Quite the opposite actually. Cutler has played at a pretty high level in the NFL while ANY player available at 10 overall hasn't proven a thing. Come on dude.

Everything is a roll of the dice. Until our offensive line is solid, all QBs are going to struggle behind it. And like I've said many times, I don't like Cutler. I don't care how strong his arm is. I think he is a poor decision maker and sports a bad attitude.

Doesn't change the fact that what you said was completely backwards. Cutler has proven what he can do in this league and no one in the upcoming draft can say the same thing. Taking an OT sounds easy, was real easy for Oakland who took a sure thing in Robert Gallery.

What has Cutler proven in the NFL? That he can squander an almost certain playoff spot? Get real.

Hallelujah!! . . . I though that little gem was going to slip through unnoticed!
Forget all the other irrationalities in the arguments made . . . what does one say about the state of mind of someone who can seriously make a statement like that?!!
Originally posted by SmithGore:
Word is that Jay Cutler is being shopped in Denver.
What would you give up for him?

Our 1st, and 3rd this year and 2nd next year. Or Gore for Cutler straight up.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

why??? why?? why?? would you give your best player and no chance at replacing. this my friend is not madden

and that is waaay to much for 1 player. you do see that not teams are not jumping on this for a reason. i like cutler by this sounds like the trade NO did for smokey williams.

[ Edited by SF4EVA on Mar 1, 2009 at 13:51:29 ]
I just don't understand this blind support for alex smith by this 49erlifer guy. We give Cutler's numbers and we give Smith numbers and we compare them. But, then Alex smith's numbers can't be used in this arguement because of his supporting cast and coordinators blah blah blah. So you are saying that Smith is better than Cutler because the Smith didn't play good because of his players around him. But.... how does that make smith better?

Then we bring up the true fact that Smith can't lead a reciever and has a very slow release, and that Cutler has both on top of having the strongest arm in the league, but still Smith is better?
  • HebrewWall
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

why??? why?? why?? would you give your best player and no chance at replacing. this my friend is not madden

and that is waaay to much for 1 player. you do see that not teams are not jumping on this for a reason. i like cutler by this sounds my like the trade NO did for smokey williams.

I would not trade the 3 draft picks, but I would trade Gore for Cutler. Highly productive RB's are a lot easier to come by than Pro-bowl QB's.
Share 49ersWebzone