LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

NFL DRAFT and Race

I still believe to this day that race was the real reason that Deshaun Watson fell to #12. And Trubisky went #2.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I still believe to this day that race was the real reason that Deshaun Watson fell to #12. And Trubisky went #2.

Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with being undersized, a turnover machine, and a having "noodle arm" that tops at 49 mph?

Because that's precisely what the 49erswebzone forum told me back in 2017.

Yet race didn't stop Cam Newton, JaMarcus Russell and others from going #1?

Nobody was questioning Watson on character, leadership or intelligence. None of those were seen as being in doubt. His throwing velocity numbers became a major talking point in the move up to that draft.

Deshaun Watson's 49 MPH would be among the lowest velocity efforts recorded since 2008 (Blake Sims owns that dubious mark at 42).

That became the major talking point. Watson was also kind of old news, the uber-successful system QB with a questionable arm who was prone to turning the football over while Trubisky was the new hotness, the guy with a limited resume that became a sort of Rorschach test for scouts where you could see him becoming just about anything due to his athleticism and physical talents. I don't think anyone was arguing that Mr "I love to kiss titties" was some superior intellectual model by any stretch of the imagination.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Are you sure it doesn't have more to do with being undersized, a turnover machine, and a having "noodle arm" that tops at 49 mph?

Because that's precisely what the 49erswebzone forum told me back in 2017.

Maybe he kept asking scouts if the teams offered rectal massages.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Anyone using Race as a pro or con is ridiculous.

It's real but let's hope we can discuss it without getting overly passionate or without thinking that it doesn't occur.

The other contrast that we have seen are white skill position players being over drafted because of their combine numbers.

Matt Jones comes to mind.

It's so real, works against white skill players as well though. Remember how many people had to be convinced that McCaffrey was an elite athlete?

Or Andy Isabella, who was literally labelled a slow slot WR.

I don't think white kids even bother trying to play CB, they'll be written off before they get anywhere near the league.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Its not like Fields is dropping to the end of the 1st round. He's still very likely to go to the 49ers, if not them then at #4 to the Falcons or some team that moves up. I put him ahead of Lance just based on the experience factor. Between Fields and Wilson its largely a coin flip. Some people prefer Wilson, some people prefer Fields and you can make a good case for either one really.

Other than Lamar Jackson, I can't think of any Black QB's that were unexpectedly passed over. Guys have gone more or less where they should have and Jackson was a unique case where you really have to build your offense around him rather than having him be a plug and play piece into your existing scheme. He did get criticized unfairly based on his sophomore game performances when he had shown incredible improvement as a passer in his junior season, He's definitely someone that should have gone at least fifteen picks earlier.

Mahomes was coming out of an Air Raid scheme that had failed to produce any sort of productive quarterbacks in the NFL and even Jared Goff was looking like a massive bust at that time in the pre-McVay days. Teams were giving him the side eye due to the scheme and how it was believed to not properly prepare quarterbacks for the NFL level.

With Watson the issue seemed to focus far more on his throwing velocity numbers than anything else. People were stuck on him throwing that 49mph or whatever it was and that issue seemed to take on a whole life of its own altogether.

Dak Prescott probably went later than he rightfully should but he also was carrying the burden of being a Mullen QB and the Tebow comparisons, mostly unflattering, were flying fast and furiously, even on this forum. It was the same sort of mindset as you're seeing with people arguing that Ohio State QB's and Bama QB's haven't had success in the NFL. Prescott was getting dinged for something that had f**k all to do with him because of a guy that played years before him.

Beyond that, Jameis Winston went #1, EJ Manuel kind of came out nowhere to be the top QB picked in 2013, you had RG3 going #2 in 2012 and Cam going #1 in 2011. Josh Freeman was a mid 1st in 2009 and the Walrus went #1 in 2007. Not all of those QB's were successful but all those guys went roughly where you would expect that they would have gone.

Dak fell due to his DUI being a huge character ding. Even though everyone went to bat for him that it was a mistake, and raved about his leadership.

Remind you of anyone?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Dak fell due to his DUI being a huge character ding. Even though everyone went to bat for him that it was a mistake, and raved about his leadership.

Remind you of anyone?

Poor Dak also got his ass whooped on video at a beach party. That probably wasn't a great look for him.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 9, 2021 at 2:44 PM ]
Sweet another Mac Jones bashing thread
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
It's so real, works against white skill players as well though. Remember how many people had to be convinced that McCaffrey was an elite athlete?

I don't think white kids even bother trying to play CB, they'll be written off before they get anywhere near the league.

No. He ran a 4.4 at his pro day and was drafted #8 overall. The only discussion happened because it's usually not good value to take a RB in the top 15.
Originally posted by Jcool:

No. He ran a 4.4 at his pro day and was drafted #8 overall. The only discussion happened because it's usually not good value to take a RB in the top 15.

His Pro Day put it to bed, but many put it out there, it was obvious stereotyping

Remind you of anyone?

Dak received a DUI less than two months before the draft, not four years earlier. Then he got into a much publicized fight out in Florida right around the same time. Teams are always going to be hypersensitive about anything that happens close to the draft. I still don't think it damaged his draft stock that much.

The biggest constant knock on him by far that I saw had nothing to do with him. It was the constant mentions of Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, Tebow every single time someone discussed him, like it was his responsibility to make up for the disappointing career of a guy that was overdrafted and whose only connection to him is that they played under the same coach.

It was stuff like this being repeated constantly:

COMPARES TO: Tim Tebow, ex-Broncos, Jets, Patriots - It is the natural comparison, beyond just the connection to Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen, who was Florida's offensive coordinator when Tebow was in Gainesville. Although Prescott has a slightly better arm and more consistent mechanics, he and Tebow grade similar in several categories, including composure, mobility, power and leadership.
Steve McNair was selected with the 1st overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft
Donvavan McNab, Achilles Smith, Daunte Culpepper went 2,3, and 7 in the 1999 NFL draft
Michael Vick was selected with the 1st overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft
Byron Leftwich was selected with the 7th overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft 2nd quarter back taken behind Carson Palmer
Vince Young was selected with the third overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft (1st QB Taken)
JaMarcus Russell was selected with the 1st overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft
Cam Newton was selected with the 1st overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft
RGIII was selected with the 2nd overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft behind Andrew Luck
EJ Manuel was selected with the 16th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft (1st QB Taken)
Jameis Winston was selected with the 1st overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft
Kyler Murray was selected with the 1st overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft

------------------------------

Racism had nothing to do with Watson dropping. NFL teams make bad decisions. These statistics above should give you an idea about that. The 49ers not picking Fields or Lance at #3 has nothing to do with their race. It has to do with their fit and desire, and what they see on film, etc. Football teams want to win.
*opens thread*

This never gets old to me.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:

This never gets old to me.

"Magical powers he learned from his grandma"
Share 49ersWebzone