LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

Originally posted by NYniner85:

There's a lot of good points in here

Thanks for sharing. He makes a compelling argument.
JONES VS. FIELDS VS. LANCE: WHO'S BETTER FIT FOR 49ERS?

This may have been posted before, but its a pretty solid analysis with quantifiable stats on the Big 3 at #3.

Solak's basic premise is that Fields strength is intermediate to deep passes, while Lance's stats are stronger in the short to intermediate range critical to Shanny's offense, with the deep ball.

Good read.
Fields.
Mac Jones = Possibly a smarter Jimmy G.
Trey Lance = Possibly a poor man's Steve McNair.
Justin Fields = Deshawn Watson on turbo.

-No Brainer
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 22, 2021 at 7:07 AM ]
Look, at the end of the day, I hope it works out that all three QBs wind up being very good pros, so it wouldn't have mattered who we took. However, obviously we all hope we get the best of the three lol. Anyways.. so.. what's the latest ranges we've seen on the QB evals?

Mac Jones: Chad Pennington --> Andy Dalton --> Kirk Cousins --> Matt Ryan --> Drew Brees

Trey Lance: Carson Wentz --> Josh Allen --> Steve McNair --> John Elway

Justin Fields: Dwayne Haskins --> Dak Prescott --> Deshaun Watson --> Russell Wilson
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Look, at the end of the day, I hope it works out that all three QBs wind up being very good pros, so it wouldn't have mattered who we took. However, obviously we all hope we get the best of the three lol. Anyways.. so.. what's the latest ranges we've seen on the QB evals?

Mac Jones: Chad Pennington --> Andy Dalton --> Kirk Cousins --> Matt Ryan --> Drew Brees

Justin Fields: Dwayne Haskins --> Dak Prescott --> Deshaun Watson --> Russell Wilson

I like the ranges you present here.

I'm a Fields guy, but if I had to go by the above I'd sign up for Lance!
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I like the ranges you present here.

I'm a Fields guy, but if I had to go by the above I'd sign up for Lance!

I don't agree. I don't think there is a comp to Lance or Fields if we are talking about complete package. If we are talking about throwing and size only, then I see some comps.

NOOO QB prospect coming out has had their size, arm, AND their speed. Only one that's close is RG3 but he was built more like a WR and had small joints.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 22, 2021 at 8:14 AM ]
The Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers draft pissed me off so much. To me, that was a no brainer.

All things were equal except for potential, which Rodgers had the edge. But stupid Nolan took the safer pick that did whatever he asked him to do.
My source was asked some names and the only one to illicit a response was Trey Lance which received a wink emoji. What does it mean?!
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Apr 22, 2021 at 12:54 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
My source was asked some names and the only one to illicit a response was Trey Lance which received a wink emoji. What does it mean?!

Trey Lance's eye disorder confirmed.

Originally posted by Joecool:
The Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers draft pissed me off so much. To me, that was a no brainer.

All things were equal except for potential, which Rodgers had the edge. But stupid Nolan took the safer pick that did whatever he asked him to do.
Ugh. I remember that garbage
I think the John Beck connection is a much bigger deal than people think. The 3 qbs he has been mainly working with is fields, Lance, and Wilson. All 3 qbs that at least 2 of them will be there at pick 3. If they asked lance specifically to work with Beck, why not ask mac to do so also? I can see people say it's cause his 2nd pro day already was too soon after the trade there wasn't time for him to be properly coached up by him. But I think the main reason is cause that's the 3 they want and they're constantly asking Beck how they are when it comes go work ethic, tendencies, responses to their type of coaching. Cause they know that they're fast and strong, but they wanna figure out how to differentiate them through the mental process.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I think the John Beck connection is a much bigger deal than people think. The 3 qbs he has been mainly working with is fields, Lance, and Wilson. All 3 qbs that at least 2 of them will be there at pick 3. If they asked lance specifically to work with Beck, why not ask mac to do so also? I can see people say it's cause his 2nd pro day already was too soon after the trade there wasn't time for him to be properly coached up by him. But I think the main reason is cause that's the 3 they want and they're constantly asking Beck how they are when it comes go work ethic, tendencies, responses to their type of coaching. Cause they know that they're fast and strong, but they wanna figure out how to differentiate them through the mental process.

Either they are trying to play 5D chess by wanting Jones and trying misdirection by having him not train with Beck... or as occam's razor would suggest, Jones wont be the pick.

The information Beck can give Kyle is on another level compared to just a pro day with Jones. Think of Jones as the benchmark, the fall back, then Beck gets to throw Kyle's offensive concepts at Fields and Lance and see how fast they learn, adjust, etc.. If Beck comes back raving about Fields or Lance to KS then that will be the pick (not because of Beck but because of the pick not being set in stone). If Beck comes back and says they struggled or something negative that gives KS doubt, then the pick reverts back to Jones.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Apr 22, 2021 at 5:17 PM ]
Mac isn't the pick and never was the pick.

I think beck working with fields and Lance is SF doing their homework and reaffirming why they traded up in the first place.

now it's time to decide and I hope they pick fields
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Either they are trying to play 5D chess by wanting Jones and trying misdirection by having him not train with Beck... or as occam's razor would suggest, Jones wont be the pick.

The information Beck can give Kyle is on another level compared to just a pro day with Jones. Think of Jones as the benchmark, the fall back, then Beck gets to throw Kyle's offensive concepts at Fields and Lance and see how fast they learn, adjust, etc.. If Beck comes back raving about Fields or Lance to KS then that will be the pick (not because of Beck but because of the pick not being set in stone). If Beck comes back and says they struggled or something negative that gives KS doubt, then the pick reverts back to Jones.

Yeah there is no reason to smokescreen this damn hard lol im positive the jets aren't taking jones so no need to throw anybody off. It seems clear the niners are choosing between fields or lance. I'm personally pulling for Fields but I see the potential with Lance.
Share 49ersWebzone