LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Andrew Thomas-OT-Georgia

Downright disrespectful how this guy is being overlooked right now IMO. I think there's this paralysis by analysis that has this guy dropping for some stupid reason when he's an amazingly talented tackle that should be a natural fit to start at LT in the NFL. I didn't make a thread about him earlier because I figured he'd easily be a TOP 10 pick but if the 49ers aren't going to go WR at #13 and he's available, I think he has to be given STRONG consideration there. You could easily put him at guard for a year or two until Staley was ready to hang him up and leave McGlinchey over at RT. You could even leave him at guard potentially and wind up with a very elite player at the position. Wirfs is a lot more physically impressive, I think that Thomas is a lot more technically sound and a better pass protector. Very good length too and top notch instincts. He's not super athletic but has good enough feet and movement ability to fit in just about any blocking scheme.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Thomas, Wilfs, or Wills - if either of them are at #13, they could easily slide to guard and eventually transition to tackle. +1 to this post.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
He doesn't deserve a team like the Giants or Chargers. It'll suck even worse if he goes to Arizona. [I hope the Cardinals do NOT get the opportunity to draft him]
Originally posted by FL9er:
He doesn't deserve a team like the Giants or Chargers. It'll suck even worse if he goes to Arizona. [I hope the Cardinals do NOT get the opportunity to draft him]

Then you'll probably not like this mock...
https://www.drafttek.com/

I agree with Phoenix, Thomas is in the top three overall OTs in this class,imo, and we would do well to be able to select him at # 13 overall. He seems quick and explosive enough to pull and also get to the second level on blocking assignments. Franchise Left tackles are hard to come by and carry almost as much importance to a team position wise as QB and Edge. Yes, that means I prefer him over WR this year if he available at 13.

Another link with info
https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=823
[ Edited by highway49 on Mar 28, 2020 at 8:12 AM ]
If the Niners dont go WR or trade down at 13, I can see an obvious move for an OT.
Bless you!
Originally posted by Butter:
If the Niners dont go WR or trade down at 13, I can see an obvious move for an OT.

Who's more important to their units?

1,000 snap G/Future-T or 500-600 snap XWR at 13?

Genuine question.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 28, 2020 at 8:23 AM ]
Another mock with all 4 T's going in the first 11 picks. Arg.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Genuine question.

To me it's the OL for sure, to put it another way as to importance, during a WR 500-600 snap counts he's not running passing routes all those times, the WRs are blocking downfield on the amount of pass vs runs that any particular team calls during a game, ( let's say 55 % pass and 45 % run, insert more running play if it's the Niners here ) and my point is that a team can find a lot of WRs who can block even if they are not the greatest receiving options.
Offensive Line is always engaged,and of course it's all relative for any position. Also,OL is usually less of a risk bust wise in the early rounds.I just prefer OL at #13
[ Edited by highway49 on Mar 28, 2020 at 8:44 AM ]

Genuine question.

Why is this a question? Any WR we pick at 13 and Deebo Samuel can be on the field together for at least 850-900 snaps each next year if they stay healthy. I'm not sure why we'd assume that our X WR gets hurt for part of the year to cause them to only play 500 snaps.

Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. played 998 and 1017 snaps respectively on the Browns. Emmanuel Sanders played >90% of our snaps in each of our last 5 regular season games. Deebo played between 78% and 97% of our snaps in each of those games. Extrapolate that to a full year and that's 800+ snaps for Deebo and 900+ snaps for Sanders.

If the WR we pick at 13 is good enough and stays healthy, they will be on the field for at least 800-900 snaps.

I'm all for picking an OT or DT at #13 if we love the player, but let's not pretend that our XWR is limited to 500-600 snaps. Deebo played 709 snaps as a rookie in 15 games and he wasn't a starter early in the year. Sanders played 487 snaps in 10 games, but that's only because he suffered a rib injury against Seattle and had to undergo MRIs. He played banged up the next 2 games. Once he was fully healthy, he played 95% of our snaps.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SamuDe00/fantasy/2019
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandEm00/fantasy/2019

Originally posted by highway49:

Genuine question.

To me it's the OL for sure, to put it another way as to importance, during a WR 500-600 snap counts he's not running passing routes all those times, the WRs are blocking downfield on the amount of pass vs runs that any particular team calls during a game, ( let's say 55 % pass and 45 % run, insert more running play if it's the Niners here ) and my point is that a team can find a lot of WRs who can block even if they are not the greatest receiving options.
Offensive Line is always engaged,and of course it's all relative for any position. Also,OL is usually less of a risk bust wise in the early rounds.I just prefer OL at #13

I'll be excited to get a stud OT at 13 and trade down From 31 to get a WR later.
It's always a guess by the many draft sites, but the chances of our Niners even having that choice to make for a top rated OT are projected to be slim.
https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/articles/andrew-thomas-tristan-wirfs-mekhi-becton-jedrick-wills-offensive-tackle-nfl-draft-2020
We need a real guard. Is he better than Ruiz? I don't know. If he's around at 31 sure. I don't suppose he takes naps at Center does he?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
We need a real guard. Is he better than Ruiz? I don't know. If he's around at 31 sure. I don't suppose he takes naps at Center does he?

He's a Tackle.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

He's an elite tackle prospect. Why are you comparing him to a center?
Share 49ersWebzone