LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Andrew Thomas-OT-Georgia

Originally posted by pdc20:
That´s what I´m saying since we have the 13th pick. It´s the year to draft a tackle. This is the best class in years.
That´s why I don´t want a trade up. Just take the top talent that falls whether it´s a WR or an OT.

Totally fine with this approach
Originally posted by pdc20:
That´s what I´m saying since we have the 13th pick. It´s the year to draft a tackle. This is the best class in years.
That´s why I don´t want a trade up. Just take the top talent that falls whether it´s a WR or an OT.

Next yr is stocked at OT as well.
What will the remaining tackle crop look like at pick #31?
Originally posted by Murphys1:
What will the remaining tackle crop look like at pick #31?

Maybe Jones/Niang/jackson. I have no idea why people are throwing Cleveland in as a 1st rd pick.
We are just going to have to make do with Richburg (when he can play), Garland and start giving plenty of snaps to Brunskill at C. If an elite OT is there, take him.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Mar 29, 2020 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Maybe Jones/Niang/jackson. I have no idea why people are throwing Cleveland in as a 1st rd pick.

Because he's getting mocked in the first round all over the place recently. I still see him as more of a mid 2nd rounder honestly. Lots of talent but he also needs a lot of work.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Whats the point if he doesnt play guard? Is there any tape at all on him at guard? You think his agent would ever let that happen? Sure son. Sign this contract and throw away 12m per year after your rookie deal.

Yea hell get a lot of clients like that.

Maybe if number 14 15 16 are desperate for a lt and will cough up a 2nd or 3rd to swap picks we do that. Thats the only way thomas is helping us.

This is short-term thinking. This team is not just competing for one season, they are going to need a long term replacement for Staley and its rare for a team that just went to the SB to have a shot at an elite tackle like Thomas. I still think that in the end, he'll be the best tackle from this draft class and if you're sitting at #13, the top WRs are gone and Thomas is sitting right there, you can't pass up on that guy. You just can't do it, that is a tremendous amount of talent that can be starting for you for a decade or more.
I think a lot of people are underrating Thomas. The betting odds for first tackle selected place him at a distant 4th at +1400 (bet 100 to win $1400). He's a really good player with elite length for LT (36 1/8" arms) and has experience playing LT.

Wirfs is an elite athlete but played RT in college and has much shorter arms (34" which is slightly below average for a left tackle).

Thomas had better times in the 3 cone and shuttle and his 21 reps on the bench press are more impressive than Wirf's 24 with shorter arms. Wirfs is more explosive and can run faster but running fast isn't really a prerequisite of a tackle. I think they're much closer as prospects than Vegas thinks.

https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/draft-odds
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I think a lot of people are underrating Thomas. The betting odds for first tackle selected place him at a distant 4th at +1400 (bet 100 to win $1400). He's a really good player with elite length for LT (36 1/8" arms) and has experience playing LT.

Wirfs is an elite athlete but played RT in college and has much shorter arms (34" which is slightly below average for a left tackle).

Thomas had better times in the 3 cone and shuttle and his 21 reps on the bench press are more impressive than Wirf's 24 with shorter arms. Wirfs is more explosive and can run faster but running fast isn't really a prerequisite of a tackle. I think they're much closer as prospects than Vegas thinks.

https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/draft-odds

I agree. I still see Thomas LT #1 in this draft class. He went from being ranked as an easy top 5 or top 10 pick throughout much of the season, suddenly here come the Underwear Olympics and other guys are getting far more hype. If he's there at #13, its an absolute steal.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I've read he's thought of much higher in the NFL community than in the draft-nik world. He should go to the Giants, but then again, Gettleman..........
He would even be a good pick for Detroit @3 (when have they ever had a 'good' offensive line? That's why Stafford is so battered), but they seem focused on trade or defense.

I don't see him falling to #13 sadly. Sorry Phoenix.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The op said he could play guard. We need g/c depending on richburgs leg.

So no center no guard, pass.

They also need an eventual long-term replacement for Staley. If you have a shot at an elite tackle prospect that could start at tackle for a decade and could play guard in the interim until Staley retires, thats not something to be overlooked.

I don't think the team will use their limited selections on a tackle who won't play this year barring injury. Interior OL is more urgent. And WR is more urgent than interior OL. WR at #13, center at #31.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is short-term thinking. This team is not just competing for one season, they are going to need a long term replacement for Staley and its rare for a team that just went to the SB to have a shot at an elite tackle like Thomas. I still think that in the end, he'll be the best tackle from this draft class and if you're sitting at #13, the top WRs are gone and Thomas is sitting right there, you can't pass up on that guy. You just can't do it, that is a tremendous amount of talent that can be starting for you for a decade or more.

I'm very sympathetic to your argument. However you didn't answer my question about guard play. Is that something he even wants to do?

And I hope we're not basing our opinion on that's silly event known as the combine. Measurables are great but I'm hoping we are forming an opinion on this guy based on watching two to three hundred snaps over the past season. I know I have not seen that tape so I can't say definitively one way or another. But that tape has to be very very strong for us to go out of our way and try to shoehorn this guy into a position that doesn't fit his career or his experience.
Thomas is the best tackle in the draft. Wirfs was a guard prospect until his combine. Crazy athletic. Teams are drooling over him as a tackle now and thats fine. He is an insane athlete and you cant take that away from him, but this is football and not a decathlon for 300 pounders. Think of the best LTs in the game, and they arent the best athletes. They understand the game, positioning, leverage, situation, technique, hands, the backpedal, the punch. I'd love to have Wirfs as our bigger need is guard this year and he can play that role and then possibly move to tackle. He is actually a good fit for us. I see Wills playing that role as well. Guard and then tackle next year. But if Thomas is there you take him. Wirfs and Wills might be a future RT, but Thomas is a franchise LT. If he is there at 13 you taken him, unless someone wants to sell the house to move up.
I'm very sympathetic to your argument. However you didn't answer my question about guard play. Is that something he even wants to do?

And I hope we're not basing our opinion on that's silly event known as the combine. Measurables are great but I'm hoping we are forming an opinion on this guy based on watching two to three hundred snaps over the past season. I know I have not seen that tape so I can't say definitively one way or another. But that tape has to be very very strong for us to go out of our way and try to shoehorn this guy into a position that doesn't fit his career or his experience.

Once again, you're thinking short-term. Staley may have a season left at best and there's no guarantee that when he goes, that they'll be in position to draft a franchise left tackle with the amount of talent of Thomas. In this offense, the tackles are far more crucial than either guard spot and overall center is not a strongpoint of this draft class, however, tackle, especially at the top of the draft, absolutely is. Unless you're hoping for the 49ers to be like the Rams and flame out just as fast as they climbed, there's going to need to be moves made with an eye on the future and left tackle is a position like your QB, like your franchise edge rusher where you absolutely need a stud player.

I see no reason why Thomas can't play guard for a year, he's played both sides of the line, he's a very aggressive, powerful run blocker as well, he's a tremendous all around OL. You can wait until next year and hope to be able to address that spot, or you lock up someone with All Pro potential if he's available at #13. If the team believes that Thomas is a ten year starter at LT, then there's no reason to look elsewhere if the top receivers are off the board. Go with the elite talent and you'll usually wind up pretty happy in the long run.

If Jeudy and Ruggs are gone and Thomas is still up there, to me its an easy choice. Imagining having McGlinchey and Thomas at tackle together for at least four seasons , the ability to play virtually any run scheme together, from inside zone to gap to outside zone, I could get down with that, having a dominant run game and solid pass blocking for years to come.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Thomas is the best tackle in the draft. Wirfs was a guard prospect until his combine. Crazy athletic. Teams are drooling over him as a tackle now and thats fine. He is an insane athlete and you cant take that away from him, but this is football and not a decathlon for 300 pounders. Think of the best LTs in the game, and they arent the best athletes. They understand the game, positioning, leverage, situation, technique, hands, the backpedal, the punch. I'd love to have Wirfs as our bigger need is guard this year and he can play that role and then possibly move to tackle. He is actually a good fit for us. I see Wills playing that role as well. Guard and then tackle next year. But if Thomas is there you take him. Wirfs and Wills might be a future RT, but Thomas is a franchise LT. If he is there at 13 you taken him, unless someone wants to sell the house to move up.

Not sure I agree about Wirfs being a guard prospect. He's a prototypical RT. A powerful mauler that can flat out destroy people in the run game, quick on his feet but definitely not elite or even top notch in pass blocking. He's a lot like Anthony Davis.

Thomas to me is the best all-around tackle in this draft. Pass-blocking, run blocking, he's got it all and if he's sitting there at #13, I think its because other GMs are stupidly overthinking things when the tape shows that this guy just dominates. Good awareness, instincts, footwork, power, athletic ability, its all there. I see a lot of Ronnie Stanley coming out of Notre Dame and if you can get THAT guy at #13, you rush that selection over to the NFL office pronto.
Share 49ersWebzone