LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Andrew Thomas-OT-Georgia

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not sure I agree about Wirfs being a guard prospect. He's a prototypical RT. A powerful mauler that can flat out destroy people in the run game, quick on his feet but definitely not elite or even top notch in pass blocking. He's a lot like Anthony Davis.

Thomas to me is the best all-around tackle in this draft. Pass-blocking, run blocking, he's got it all and if he's sitting there at #13, I think its because other GMs are stupidly overthinking things when the tape shows that this guy just dominates. Good awareness, instincts, footwork, power, athletic ability, its all there. I see a lot of Ronnie Stanley coming out of Notre Dame and if you can get THAT guy at #13, you rush that selection over to the NFL office pronto.

This is starting to remind me of the Mcglinchey draft. I was getting excited and my heart set on Minkah Fitzpatrick, in this case (Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb) and here comes Phoenix pushing the freaking Tackle Mcglinchey. So we should just pencil in Thomas as our pick, with Jeudy and or Ruggs on the board
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Not sure I agree about Wirfs being a guard prospect. He's a prototypical RT. A powerful mauler that can flat out destroy people in the run game, quick on his feet but definitely not elite or even top notch in pass blocking. He's a lot like Anthony Davis.

Thomas to me is the best all-around tackle in this draft. Pass-blocking, run blocking, he's got it all and if he's sitting there at #13, I think its because other GMs are stupidly overthinking things when the tape shows that this guy just dominates. Good awareness, instincts, footwork, power, athletic ability, its all there. I see a lot of Ronnie Stanley coming out of Notre Dame and if you can get THAT guy at #13, you rush that selection over to the NFL office pronto.

This is starting to remind me of the Mcglinchey draft. I was getting excited and my heart set on Minkah Fitzpatrick, in this case (Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb) and here comes Phoenix pushing the freaking Tackle Mcglinchey. So we should just pencil in Thomas as our pick, with Jeudy and or Ruggs on the board

Most of us wanted Roquan and Minkah was the next option since the Bears took Roquan right in front of us.

Jeudy/Ruggs and Thomas is on the board at #13......what will Shanalynch do? Fascinating.

he did the same thing with QW last draft

Yeah that draft sucked. Coulda had Jaire and he would have been in position on that 3rd and 15
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The op said he could play guard. We need g/c depending on richburgs leg.

So no center no guard, pass.

They also need an eventual long-term replacement for Staley. If you have a shot at an elite tackle prospect that could start at tackle for a decade and could play guard in the interim until Staley retires, thats not something to be overlooked.

I don't think the team will use their limited selections on a tackle who won't play this year barring injury. Interior OL is more urgent. And WR is more urgent than interior OL. WR at #13, center at #31.

Daniel Brunskill just proved that a T can play just fine in this system as a G...dude had never taken a snap his entire career at G until he started a game with us and now he's seen as a favorite to start. I remember having this exact same discussion with keeping Trenton Brown on a reduced contract coming off labrum surgery at RT AND drafting Mike McGlinchey to play G until Staley retired.

As long as you have the requisite athleticism, skill set, IQ and conditioning, T and G's aren't much different in this scheme given their uniform responsibilities.

In fact, I almost prefer a T to play G because they'll be much better versed in pass protection and won't have to play on an island. And pass protection is our biggest issue along the interior.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 30, 2020 at 7:18 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

This dude thinks Burrow and Tua are better prospects than Chase Young?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NCommand:

This dude thinks Burrow and Tua are better prospects than Chase Young?

It's his 50 and apparently, he's sticking to it.
I'm all for Thomas if Jeudy is gone. I think we need go go offense early and often. Our interior offensive line lost us that Super Bowl as well as Saleh in my opinion.
Thomas is a monster. Told NC in another thread he looked bored at times it was so easy for him to lock top rushers down.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Lol! Shots fired! I'm beginning to lean Thomas if we miss out on the big 3. But now it's a big NO, after you Guys mentioned QW from last year. . No I'm good either way. I still support you Phoenix!
I would be ok with this. I think the sooner we can get Staley and Sherman's replacement on rookie contracts it will be much easier to address other areas of need.
I agree. I still see Thomas LT #1 in this draft class. He went from being ranked as an easy top 5 or top 10 pick throughout much of the season, suddenly here come the Underwear Olympics and other guys are getting far more hype. If he's there at #13, its an absolute steal.

I think Gettelman scoops him up at 4.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Lol! Shots fired! I'm beginning to lean Thomas if we miss out on the big 3. But now it's a big NO, after you Guys mentioned QW from last year. . No I'm good either way. I still support you Phoenix!

Some people bout to get socially distanced from this forum, nom saying?
Some people bout to get socially distanced from this forum, nom saying?

Share 49ersWebzone