LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 186 users in the forums

Dee Ford signed as a D-Lineman/LEO,,(so where would/could Bosa go ??)

Originally posted by bopicksix:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
There's nothing wrong with how you've laid out your opinion, and Allen can certainly fill this role you've suggested, there's just no need to claim it's the only option.

There are plenty of other valid options and plenty of people who think Bosa and QW are better prospects.

I would put qw at the top of board, and some have add good ideas as to how he and buck could work together. I see it as redundant resources that could be directed elsewhere. Would love to send buck packing for qw but that's unlikely, I struggle to see how you make an investment as big as #2 on redundancy.

That makes sense but I still think you're looking at it the wrong way around. These guys are top prospects for a reason, they are difference makers.

The redundancy isn't from them, all these guys we are talking about play 3 downs and give OC's headaches, the redundancy comes from the guys already on our roster.

QW displaces both Solly and DJ Jones, who are both potentially good players, Allen displaces no one of importance and Bosa just reduces some snaps from Solly and AA.

You shouldn't worry about that though, if they had played well enough you wouldn't be trying to replace them.
Dp
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Mar 14, 2019 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by kem99:
Don't you want two good Edge pass rushers? One coming from both sides? The Broncos have Miller and Chubb. The Seahawks had at diffreent points a combo of Avril, Bennett and Clark. You're going to be in nickel or dime at least 2/3 of the time and from what we've heard the 49ers are going to more of a Wide 9 approach and wanting their Edge and interior linemen to get up field to get to the QB and then adjust if its a running play. That sounds like a team wanting two edge rushers and not worrying too much about who is the "Big End" and who is the LEO.

If you too caught up in assigning positions, then who do you take? Josh Allen? Nope. He would play SAM which is taken off the field most of the time for nickel/dime. On passing downs, he would go to one edge with Ford on the other, just as you would do with Bosa. Q. Williams? Well, there's a whole other issue about whether he's redundant or not with what they have. Burns? He's more of an Edge like Ford and you'd have the same problem. There really isn't a CB or Safety you'd want to take at #2. I don't think you could justify going offense with Metcalf at #2 either. Ultimately, the 49ers need to take the best player. Most believe the top 2 are Bosa and Williams. If the Cardinals pick one, the 49ers pick the other. If both are there at #2, the 49ers get their pick unless a very attractive trade down presents itself. They shouldn't over think it.

I'd love to have 2 edge rushers coming from OPPOSITE sides, problem is- Bosa and Ford both play on THE SAME SIDE.. Seattle had a bevy of players, so they could rotate many diff. combinations. They didn't sign a RDE for $87M then draft a guy and had them split snaps. They didn't resign AA to play LDE, and then draft a Bosa type player and put him on left side. I can roll with your assessment IF Bosa was a LDE, but he's not. Also, I remember Seattle SAM LBers having der helmets up our QB's arse many a time (Bruce Irvin and Barkevious Mingo of lately), and we send our Sam LB'ers on blitzes too (Watson, Marsh), so Allen could be used in same way..
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Mar 14, 2019 at 2:09 PM ]
At times Beasley rushed 93% of the time from Sam. Once you factor in nickel it's all overblown.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 14, 2019 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I'm seeing Ford as our starting LEO/Elephant End, and a guy like Jaylon Furgeson of LA Tech backing him up. As far as our 1st. rounder I'm seeing either Quinnen or Allen.. I don't see it any other way considering the parameters, players, $$$$, roles, and intent (with Ford signing).. I'm not being argumentative or facetious at all, and I value ALL of you guys opinions (I love the interactions, our board is "lively" again). But, I'm really at a quandary right now.
Your wrong . The niners will not pass on nick bosa it just wont happen !
I believe AA and ST Are vastly underrated by the fan base. Stopping the run isnt as sexy, but we don't even get to talk about pass rush potential until that happens first. Doesn't help when teams run it down your throat or get the ball out quick on 3rd and short. First thigs first.

rams last year with suh and Donald 23rd ranked run D, 19th total D. Most wouldn't believe our defense was way more consistent with current d line. That's why I rule outQW. needed mlb, got em, ford for you pass rush junkies, Add versatility; chaos, to a good run d, it's allen- a playmaker at 2 levels, draft has good talent at safey... love the idea of allen then thornhill at 1,2
I'd love to have 2 edge rushers coming from OPPOSITE sides, problem is- Bosa and Ford both play on THE SAME SIDE.. Seattle had a bevy of players, so they could rotate many diff. combinations. They didn't sign a RDE for $87M then draft a guy and had them split snaps. They didn't resign AA to play LDE, and then draft a Bosa type player and put him on left side. I can roll with your assessment IF Bosa was a LDE, but he's not. Also, I remember Seattle SAM LBers having der helmets up our QB's arse many a time (Bruce Irvin and Barkevious Mingo of lately), and we send our Sam LB'ers on blitzes too (Watson, Marsh), so Allen could be used in same way..

Sorry, you're just wrong. There is no requirement for them to rush from the same side whatsoever, go look in the Dee Ford thread, that video is 11 mins long and shows him rushing from three places in one game.
I believe AA and ST Are vastly underrated by the fan base. Stopping the run isnt as sexy, but we don't even get to talk about pass rush potential until that happens first. Doesn't help when teams run it down your throat or get the ball out quick on 3rd and short. First thigs first.

rams last year with suh and Donald 23rd ranked run D, 19th total D. Most wouldn't believe our defense was way more consistent with current d line. That's why I rule outQW. needed mlb, got em, ford for you pass rush junkies, Add versatility; chaos, to a good run d, it's allen- a playmaker at 2 levels, draft has good talent at safey... love the idea of allen then thornhill at 1,2

Hmmm, I can agree with this too. I'm thinking Williams or Allen, so this scenario is kindred. This wouldn't be bad at all, and the way youre looking at it, shows great perspective (esp. when you incl. comparative statistics).

SF was already pretty solid vs the run (top 15). They upgrade in coverage at LBer with Kwon. That's where he shines. They need to get someone at S.

Bosa gives you a complete pass rush and someone who stuffs the run.
Hmmm, I can agree with this too. I'm thinking Williams or Allen, so this scenario is kindred. This wouldn't be bad at all, and the way youre looking at it, shows great perspective (esp. when you incl. comparative statistics).

They already upgraded in coverage at LBer with Kwon...honestly the moves they've made so far imo pushes Allen down even more. If Bosa is there he will more than likely be the pick if he's not than take the best deal for Murray/Haskins.

I see where you're coming from with this, and you're right that your base D would be better against the run.

The system is supposed to allow you rush the passer and to stop the run though, it's the whole reason the SS comes down into the box, by filling it with run stuffers as we've done yeah sure you're good against the run, but adding pass rushers means you should be able to do both.

Bosa still makes a ton of sense.

I am sorry but your thinking is wrong the plan all along has been to get 2 edge pass rushers and you can move dee ford around to each side of the line of scrimmage and lynch loves nick bosa and he will not pass on him . You are in fantasy world if you think lynch will pass on nick bosa lol .
[ Edited by Tylerawiseguy on Mar 14, 2019 at 2:20 PM ]
I think the talk of Ford being LEO is crap. Smoke screen.
We take Bosa at #2
Bosa plays RDE
Ford plays LOLB
I've been watching tape and I see those two playign those two spots a lot.

LOL imagine thinking run D is important in 2019. Especially when the team is already top 10 in run D
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I thought all along that Ford had to be the Leo.

Bosa is pretty stout against the run, so he could be the LDE. He is NOT a Sam.

Will the Niners draft Bosa to play the LDE? Possibly. It also might mean the team has another plan in the works. I would say picking up Ford lessens the chance the team selects Burns, Allen, or any of the other edge players. They would be placed as a Sam, and that doesn't seem to make sense. The premium at this pick is guys rushing the QB, not playing run support or dropping into coverage.

Once again, the Niners' problem now is their secondary, which is a hot mess. They better start working on this ASAP

MD, could you explain the different DL/LB positions we have, how much they play, their responsibilities and what a prototype there looks like? I'm having a hard time understanding if Bosa or the other "edge" players would or would not fit, given who we already have. Thanks!
Share 49ersWebzone