There are 326 users in the forums

Dee Ford signed as a D-Lineman/LEO,,(so where would/could Bosa go ??)

The 49ers on Wednesday announced the signing of defensive lineman Dee Ford to a five-year extension after acquiring him in a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round draft pick in 2020.
Repeat, the 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Dee Ford.
During his five seasons in Kansas City, Ford was an ouside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. All indications are Ford will be the "leo" in the 49ers' 4-3 defensive alignment.
His job: Get after the quarterback.
Ford did his job exceptionally well last season, recording 13 sacks and forcing seven fumbles. Outside of defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, the 49ers lacked a consistent pass rush. The 49ers, as a team, generated just seven takeaways on the season – the worst mark in the history of the National Football League.
Coach Kyle Shanahan hired Robert Saleh to implement the Seattle-style defense with the 49ers. It's a 4-3 defense with essentially 3-4 personnel. The leo position is based on the elephant edge-rusher spot that George Seifert used with the 49ers in the 1980s and '90s.

***** I doubt we draft Bosa or any other Edge player at #2 to be a ROTATIONAL player, this would be asinine and a waste of BOTH players!! If we draft Bosa, can he play LDE ??, OLB??, I don't see it. I liked the idea of drafting Bosa @ #2, but now that we have Dee Ford, I cant see it happening. 2 great players at same spot ??!! NO WAY. "Well you can never have enuff pass rushers", plausible argument, but with millions of $$$$$ on the line, this particular situation cant be done. Another EDGE player would have to come in the form of a SAM LB'er (Allen) or get pass rush from interior (Williams). I'm perplexed, what say you all ??*****
I asked our better beat writers the same question yesterday. It seems the belief is that Dee is a LEO and only good at rushing the passer. If Bosa were drafted, Bosa would start at LEO or they would rotate there. Neither is fit to play the SAM in base. However, we are hardly in base any more. Ford becoming situational is not far fetched since the amount of plays we're in sub package is so much these days.

Also, it was said long ago that the staff does not place much importance to the base SAM spot. Any decent run stopping and sometimes coverage LB is enough.
[ Edited by OsBoogie on Mar 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
The 49ers on Wednesday announced the signing of defensive lineman Dee Ford to a five-year extension after acquiring him in a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs for a second-round draft pick in 2020.
Repeat, the 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Dee Ford.
During his five seasons in Kansas City, Ford was an ouside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. All indications are Ford will be the "leo" in the 49ers' 4-3 defensive alignment.
His job: Get after the quarterback.
Ford did his job exceptionally well last season, recording 13 sacks and forcing seven fumbles. Outside of defensive tackle DeForest Buckner, the 49ers lacked a consistent pass rush. The 49ers, as a team, generated just seven takeaways on the season – the worst mark in the history of the National Football League.
Coach Kyle Shanahan hired Robert Saleh to implement the Seattle-style defense with the 49ers. It's a 4-3 defense with essentially 3-4 personnel. The leo position is based on the elephant edge-rusher spot that George Seifert used with the 49ers in the 1980s and '90s.

***** I doubt we draft Bosa or any other Edge player at #2 to be a ROTATIONAL player, this would be asinine and a waste of BOTH players!! If we draft Bosa, can he play LDE ??, OLB??, I don't see it. I liked the idea of drafting Bosa @ #2, but now that we have Dee Ford, I cant see it happening. 2 great players at same spot ??!! NO WAY. "Well you can never have enuff pass rushers", plausible argument, but with millions of $$$$$ on the line, this particular situation cant be done. Another EDGE player would have to come in the form of a SAM LB'er (Allen) or get pass rush from interior (Williams). I'm perplexed, what say you all ??*****
You focus far too much on base defense, something we only play in 28% of the time. But, You can play bosa at big end, he's a great run defender.

The rams played in three receiver sets over 90% of the time, and the cardinals are going to a spread offense. The nickel is our main defense. Bosa and ford can both play together in the nickel quite easily. Think about how players effect the pass game in our nickel defense not base defense.
Originally posted by OsBoogie:
I asked our better beat writers the same question yesterday. It seems the belief is that Dee is a LEO and only good at rushing the passer. If Bosa were drafted, Bosa would start at LEO or they would rotate there. Neither is fit to play the SAM in base. However, we are hardly in base any more. Ford becoming situational is not far fetched since the amount of plays we're in sub package is so much these days.

But there's 87 million reasons why that's not practical. We could get a guy like Ziggy or Houston or Suggs to rotate and back up Bosa. We bought Ford in to START. And why spend the #2 pick and pay #2 pick $$$$$ for a rotational guy ?? I AGREE wholeheartedly with your logic, but don't see this situation happening here with these 2 particular players. Too much $$$$ involved.
But there's 87 million reasons why that's not practical. We could get a guy like Ziggy or Houston or Suggs to rotate and back up Bosa. We bought Ford in to START. And why spend the #2 pick and pay #2 pick $$$$$ for a rotational guy ?? I AGREE wholeheartedly with your logic, but don't see this situation happening here with these 2 particular players. Too much $$$$ involved.

you are overrating "starting"... the snap counts are what matters.
It's a good problem to have. Last year we were starving for passrushers, you will not hear me complain at all if we have too many. Its all moot of he goes number 1, but that could mean we could get quinnen or trade down.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
It's a good problem to have. Last year we were starving for passrushers, you will not hear me complain at all if we have too many. Its all moot of he goes number 1, but that could mean we could get quinnen or trade down.

in this case, I think the problem of snaps/rotation really come into play if we drafted Q. I think that means a trade down.

in this case, Allen would make much more sense since he can play SAM in base and rush the passer.

I still think it's likely Bosa or trade down
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

You forget our cap guy in Praage. He can front load a lot of the Dee Ford contract to free up future cap space. Now he can't front load on a whole bunch of free agents, that's why they (the Front office) has to limit the big free agent hits to the most critical need positions. You also have to account that we'll be ahead most, if not all the time with Garappolo back and with younger and faster WR's and Arby's. If the prediction is true, then not only will our base be the nickel defense, but also the dime defense and it puts a premium on having more edge rushers to rotate for the all important 4rth qtr pass rush to close out the game.
AA was a 9 million dollar waste if they do put Bosa at BE.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:

Why? It's only 1 year and you need a good rotation on the DL, keep it coming in waves.

Originally posted by pd24:

Why? It's only 1 year and you need a good rotation on the DL, keep it coming in waves.

This, people going thru hell because ward is making 5 mi for a year and AA 1 for 9. We have the cap and unless they break out neither would be back, and with AA you can never have enough bodies to rotate on the dline plus he's a good run stopper at least
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

This, people going thru hell because ward is making 5 mi for a year and AA 1 for 9. We have the cap and unless they break out neither would be back, and with AA you can never have enough bodies to rotate on the dline plus he's a good run stopper at least

If that was the case Ward would already be gone.

you are overrating "starting"... the snap counts are what matters.

If I'm paying either player the $$$$ I'm paying, I want a 3 down player. I'm not gonna split snaps with 2 great players. Dat be good $$$ spent foolishly right ?/

Also can't they cut him before June and recoup most that money?

Not at that price. He's very limited rushing the passer so I'm not seeing the value if he's rotating in our sub packages.
Share 49ersWebzone