SalePre-order Dwight Clark tribute, "Letters to 87," for only $17.12

There are 128 users in the forums

Dee Ford signed as a D-Lineman/LEO,,(so where would/could Bosa go ??)

You don't draft a guy 2nd over all to play heavy rotation or out of position. Otherwise you end up with Solomon Thomas 2.0.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
MD, could you explain the different DL/LB positions we have, how much they play, their responsibilities and what a prototype there looks like? I'm having a hard time understanding if Bosa or the other "edge" players would or would not fit, given who we already have. Thanks!

There's a thread called understanding our edge roles, has all the answers you're looking for

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/192145-understanding-our-edges-talking-leo-sam-big-end/
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Mar 14, 2019 at 7:17 PM ]
Originally posted by GNS1310:
I think the talk of Ford being LEO is crap. Smoke screen.
We take Bosa at #2
Bosa plays RDE
Ford plays LOLB
I've been watching tape and I see those two playign those two spots a lot.

Agreed
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
You don't draft a guy 2nd over all to play heavy rotation or out of position. Otherwise you end up with Solomon Thomas 2.0.

So Q is out
Bosa would play edge in nickel. But he'd be off the field on run downs.

Depending on competition, I think Ford will get the nod as an everydown LEO.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Have you even seen him play?! That statement is nonsense.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

so you think Ford will move to SAM?

My belief is that they paid Ford all that money, so they expect him to play LEO on every down. Has nothing to do with Bosa's ability, tbh
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Mar 14, 2019 at 2:43 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

so you think Ford will move to SAM?

My belief is that they paid Ford all that money, so they expect him to play LEO on every down. Has nothing to do with Bosa's ability, tbh

I think they'd rotate, some downs Ford at SAM, Bosa LEO, some Ford at LEO Bosa at "big" End, though he would be allowed to rush from outside the RT.

No big deal, just sometimes Solly or AA are in, sometimes Malcolm Smith or Mark Nzechoa.
Dee coming from one side...

Nick coming from the other.

DRAFT. THIS. MAN.
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Dee coming from one side...

Nick coming from the other.

DRAFT. THIS. MAN.
AMEN ! Make this happen !

Trade down.
Plenty of Pass Rusher and WRs to draft in the 1st round.
I'm praying Bosa goes to Arizona and 49ers can sell the 2nd pick to the highest bidder
Why can't ford and Bosa be on the field every down? Aren't there two edges?
It seems insane that signing Ford would preclude us from adding Bosa. But ... if their thought process is to trade down and acquire Allen as our SAM then I get it. Burns isn't a SAM. Neither is Sweat. And neither is Ford. Burns and Sweat seem to be the exact same player as Ford so I think those guys are off the board for us.

So it's either Bosa and you plan on either him or Ford sitting for 28% of every game or its Allen, who plays SAM in base and then drops to DE in nickel.

I have a feeling they are leaning towards Allen because of his versatility in scheme. Not saying I agree with this but if it's Allen and an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year, I would be ok. The risk is that Allen comes off the board before they pick and then their back up plan becomes a scramble.
Don't know if anyone said it yet but both Ingram and Bosa are listed as DE on the chargers roster
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Why can't ford and Bosa be on the field every down? Aren't there two edges?

Yes there are, currently we have AA, playing right across from the RT, his plan is almost exclusively to bull rush them, there's no reason Nick couldn't be given an expanded role, he still plays the run plenty well enough.
Share 49erswebzone