Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 562 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

Browse 49ers books and videos
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Whoa he almost looks as dominant as this guy

https://youtu.be/wl3EAGuIZLs



If you think the two are in anyway comparable, I have no clue as to what you are actually looking at.

I dont get it either Thomas was 10x the player Williams is. Thomas played at a much higher level.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Whoa he almost looks as dominant as this guy

https://youtu.be/wl3EAGuIZLs



If you think the two are in anyway comparable, I have no clue as to what you are actually looking at.

I dont get it either Thomas was 10x the player Williams is. Thomas played at a much higher level.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Whoa he almost looks as dominant as this guy

https://youtu.be/wl3EAGuIZLs



If you think the two are in anyway comparable, I have no clue as to what you are actually looking at.

I dont get it either Thomas was 10x the player Williams is. Thomas played at a much higher level.

I'm probably the only one here that has seen multiple games of Thomas live and you say you don't believe me yet...

I think it's clear after that comment that you A. Never have watched full game film of either and/or B. Don't know anything about playing football.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Dec 31, 2018 at 4:47 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 44,532
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I'm probably the only one here that has seen multiple games of Thomas live and you say you don't believe me yet...

I think it's clear after that comment that you A. Never have watched full game film of either and/or B. Don't know anything about playing football.

Someone started drinking for new years early.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I know I sound like such a bitter broken record, but I don't understand the Cardinals picking Bosa #1 instead of this guy.

They were top 5 in sacks and good at stopping the pass. Their run defense was bottom 1. They have Chandler Jones and they have a huge hole in the interior DL. Quinnen Williams is seen as good as, if not better than, Bosa as a prospect, and he doesn't even have the injury concern or lack of recent game tape.

Literally the only reason the Cardinals would take Bosa instead is because edge is more valuable as a position as interior DL. But that STILL doesn't make sense to me. That would be like having Phillip Rivers in his prime on your roster with no OL, and selecting Andrew Luck instead of Orlando Pace when both are on the board. It's dumb. I know I'm a 49ers fan who wants Bosa, but while trying to be as objective as possible, I see it as a dumb move.

But hey, I'm not a GM

I'd remember the N.Y. SB teams that had Tuck, Strahan, Usi, JPP. There's nothing dumb about having multiple edge rushers. You can kick Bosa inside a bit as well to get a 3rd rusher on the field like Golden.

They may go Q bit the idea that Bosa and Jones is problematic naw. Only for opposing qb's.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
If Williams is the consensus next Aaron Donald or Warren Sapp, than we don't have to worry about drafting him, because he shouldn't be available at two!

How can a team with whose only strength is DT have to take him at 2, when a team whose weakness is DT would pass on him the pick before?

PS. Joey Bosa only had an above average sparq score. I don't think Nick will wow anybody at the combine.

Well, that knocks both of my choices on the head! Assuming no one is interested in throwing picks at us, who do you like?

1)I want Bosa to fall to two.
2) I want to trade down and select another Edge or even Jonah Williams or Greedy

I just don't think, either he or QW will be graded out as the once in a generation transcendent player that you have to take, regardless of need.

Like I said, I hope QW is that good so it's a no brainer Arizona takes him, so we can get Bosa, even though it would suck playing against him twice a year.

If we do draft QW, the following players will have no role on the team:

Sheldon Day
Ronald Blair
DJ Jones
Earl Mitchell
Kentavius Street
Julian Taylor

And Armstead and Thomas will be relegated to base packages.

Day is a solid backup. Blair is edge. Jones is a backup. I like him as the starting NT if we do end up with Bosa, but he can backup. Mitchell should be gone. Street is edge, even though they will give him some looks inside. Taylor is a backup. AA should be gone. Thomas can compete for the starting edge at 5 technique (different than LEO), and backup at 3 and 1. Saying all of this to say none of those guys are so good that we can just pass on Williams. I do hope it doesn't come to that and we draft Bosa though. It just makes too much sense.
I see ppl are falling for the we can get a Leo later argument again. If you believe that you deserve Marsh.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Why did you use the word likely? I would argue because you also believe it's too early to give up on them yet as well. Also, the point is besides the draft picks, most of the DTs we have on the roster have already proven to be solid contributors/NFL Starters at worst.


You don't turn down All Pro level upside over replacement level talent. I said likely because we don't know if Street can ever be a starter but even then he figures in at big end, not nose tackle.

The Broncos had plenty of edge rushers, still went out and got Chubb who was a monster for them. They didn't pass up on a future star because they had Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett waiting in the wings.

When a team is lousy for too long, fans tend to overrate mediocre players. They get so starved for success that they remember the one time that one guy blew up in a preseason game or that one crushing hit or sack he made in the 4th quarter of a blowout and suddenly that guy is a future star waiting to bust out, he just needs a shot.

The reality usually is that it is just a mediocre player that won't amount to anything making a few nice plays but when your team sucks, you need some reason to believe.

Somehow I doubt you're worried about what might happen to Marsh or Watson if the 49ers bring in a couple of elite level edge rushers.

Great post!!!!

Isn't this the same logic as to why the Cards will take Bosa, then?

It is the same logic. Only difference is, the Cardinals have a choice in the matter. They can upgrade an already damn good pass rush AND help their run D/interior D-line. Our choice on the other hand, is dependent on what the Cardinals do.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Williams would play NT and 3tech in passing situations.

Mitchell is garbage not sure why you would care about him missing playing time it being cut. Our defense got 10x better with Jones in the lineup, just imagine what Williams would do.

We have kept 3 NT on the roster so not sure why you think that would change? Jones and Day could both still have roles.

Blair and Street will compete for BE and drafting Williams would have no impact on them only an outside DL would.

I never understood the Taylor pick, hes a good player but he was so redundant to what we already have it didn't make sense.

So I'm warming up to QW, as long as they can upgrade edge in FA I'm fine with it.

Bosa > trade down> if no trade down QW

I'd be happy with any of those scenarios

This. I have the same hierarchy as well. The best part about all of this is because we actually secured the number 2 pick, we really can't lose. We either get a great player ready to start or lots of picks that will put us in a position to draft the elusive LEO and fill some other needs.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I'm probably the only one here that has seen multiple games of Thomas live and you say you don't believe me yet...

I think it's clear after that comment that you A. Never have watched full game film of either and/or B. Don't know anything about playing football.

Someone started drinking for new years early.

I would LOVE to hear how A. They are similar players (like you previously claimed) and B. Thomas is 10x the player Quinnen is. I'll wait... because this is gonna be gold.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If you think the two are in anyway comparable, I have no clue as to what you are actually looking at.

yeah they aren't apples to apples, considering QW plays with a bunch of elite players around him so he gets a bunch of opportunities at single team. beyond that, what is the difference? i'm sure you'll say well just watch this, and that's fine i'm sure you can show me dozens of plays where QW uses great quickness/hands/etc to defeat a block. you could also find plenty of hologram doing similar things.

but then when QW gets to our team, i don't trust our defensive coaches to make anything of him in the NFL. it's unfortunate for thomas that he was drafted by a team that has no clue how or where to use him. there is a team out there that would've allowed thomas to live up to his pick, but it's not here in san fran. so too will be the same fate for QW.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Whoa he almost looks as dominant as this guy

https://youtu.be/wl3EAGuIZLs



If you think the two are in anyway comparable, I have no clue as to what you are actually looking at.

I dont get it either Thomas was 10x the player Williams is. Thomas played at a much higher level.
.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
yeah they aren't apples to apples, considering QW plays with a bunch of elite players around him so he gets a bunch of opportunities at single team. beyond that, what is the difference? i'm sure you'll say well just watch this, and that's fine i'm sure you can show me dozens of plays where QW uses great quickness/hands/etc to defeat a block. you could also find plenty of hologram doing similar things.

but then when QW gets to our team, i don't trust our defensive coaches to make anything of him in the NFL. it's unfortunate for thomas that he was drafted by a team that has no clue how or where to use him. there is a team out there that would've allowed thomas to live up to his pick, but it's not here in san fran. so too will be the same fate for QW.


Just like Buckner.




beyond that, what is the difference?



What is the difference between Bosa and Marsh? Why not just coach Marsh up better? Oh yeah, talent. Williams is simply a lot more talented, a lot more polished and simply more dominant. He's a better prospect than either Thomas and Buckner were and unlike Thomas you don't have to make any projections as to where he'll play. Everything about his game translates well to the NFL.


Thomas got hyped for destroying a subpar NC OL. Williams regularly dominates NFL caliber linemen. Just a much better prospect, pure and simple. The best lineman Bama has produced in a decade+.



The hope with Thomas was that you could take an undersized and super athletic college 3T and put him on the edge. That obviously didn't work out. With Williams its a straight transition, going from nose tackle to nose tackle.
Q Williams is a unanimous Consensus All American this year. One of only 8 players in the country to get this recognition. Why? Because he plays in the best conference in college football and dominates. Just think how great Solomon Thomas would have been if he truly was 10 times the player. Hell, he might have even made an All American Team.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I see ppl are falling for the we can get a Leo later argument again. If you believe that you deserve Marsh.

Not the same draft. This one is actually deep. As for last year, I remember many being upset because it was a historically bad draft for pass rushers. There was Harold Landry. And then there was Obo Okoronkwo. After that, who?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I see ppl are falling for the we can get a Leo later argument again. If you believe that you deserve Marsh.


Technically it is the "we can get a Leo first in FA" argument.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone