LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

Originally posted by 49ers808:
I'm with you on this one braddah. The thought of Q next to Buck on every down is crazy. Then because of the depth of edge rushers in this class, getting maybe Chase Winovich in the 2nd

Yea, if Bosa is gone, for me, its between Q, Greedy, Deionte Thompson, and Jachai Polite. If we land even a Shaq Barrett level talent in FA, put him and whichever ER falls to the early 2nd outside of Buckner and Q, and theres no where for the QB to go. Will be like an Olympic swim team inside.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
We need to win a couple of games or there will be a meltdown on here. As it stands if we draft #2, Bosa goes #1, unless we get a great trade down offer I don't know how you could pass on Quinnen.

He's just that good.

If it happens people will complain, but that will soon stop when those fans realize how good this kid is. Many don't seem to understand how dominant he is against the run and pass. He's a wrecking ball and I would love to see teams try and double Buckner with this kid playing next to him. '

Long ways to go until the draft, but if Bosa isn't there, I feel like the pick has to be Quinnen or Ferrell/Polite and I'm not so sure either of those edge players will impact games the way Q can.

I'm with you on this one braddah. The thought of Q next to Buck on every down is crazy. Then because of the depth of edge rushers in this class, getting maybe Chase Winovich in the 2nd

So I'll say there is depth at edge and in terms of the combination of talent (by going Williams and Winovich), yeah, that is a pretty lethal combination, especially if we can also land a pass rusher in free agency. So I won't argue against this specific plan, but my preference would still be for edge and corner. But yeah, that D-line potentially could be very devastating. Either way, I'd move Thomas to the left side where I think he would have a far greater chance for success than on the right. He would get very little opportunity to play inside with Buck, Williams, and Day.

Interestingly enough, with the level of play we have on our D-line, who knows if buck could be that dominant (10+ sacks from the 3T). He's never even played with average starters around him on the regular, whereas Donald has had some pretty legit guys next to him his entire career. I really am interesting in seeing the effect of adding some quality guys on the D-line will have on Buck.
Quinnen might be the best prospect in this class, it would effectively be shutting the door on Solomon Thomas (which I would be fine with) but I'm not sure our FO are ready to admit their error yet.

They have a convenient narrative that he is being miscast to use for now.
This kid is not getting anywhere near as much chat as he deserves, yes he's another interior guy, but it isn't his fault we still have a hole there.

He is probably a cleaner prospect than Bosa, and the only reason I would take Bosa over him is our dire need at Edge.

Quinnen is a stud, and paired with Buck we wouldn't need much from our edges. A 2nd/3rd round pick and/or mid level FA and we're laughing.
He looks great, but he's 19. It feels like Thomas all over again.

People forget how Young Thomas is. My simple guess is we don't go this direction again.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

People forget how Young Thomas is. My simple guess is we don't go this direction again.

I'm confused why his age would be a negative? Q. Williams has been 3x the prospect that Solly was anyway
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

I'm confused why his age would be a negative? Q. Williams has been 3x the prospect that Solly was anyway

This. He also wouldn't be switching to the outside after he gets drafted. If Solly never amounts to anything with this team, you can mostly blame this coaching staff for screwing him up, not his age.

At least with Q he is 100% going to be playing inside next to Buckner if we did happen to select him... but I also thought this about Thomas, so what do I know.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

This. He also wouldn't be switching to the outside after he gets drafted. If Solly never amounts to anything with this team, you can mostly blame this coaching staff for screwing him up, not his age.

At least with Q he is 100% going to be playing inside next to Buckner if we did happen to select him... but I also thought this about Thomas, so what do I know.

Age meaning he has to grow, and not just on the field. Mods would not allow me to post my 19 year old recollections lol

I just can't see them drafting an interior guy again.

I agree with you on two levels, the first issue being that Solly flashed Quinnen levels of dominance in college, granted no where near as consistently.

The question is A) could Solly get there making Quinnen a luxury and B) Might Quinnen be less than dominant at the next level.

For me you have to trust your scouts, grade the top prospects and be honest, edge rushers get a natural bump as we're desperate, example we'd take a top 10 rated edge over a top 5 rated interior guy.

However you can't take a 2nd round rated edge over a top 5 rated interior guy as you just don't win by leaving that type of talent on the board.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

I agree with you on two levels, the first issue being that Solly flashed Quinnen levels of dominance in college, granted no where near as consistently.

The question is A) could Solly get there making Quinnen a luxury and B) Might Quinnen be less than dominant at the next level.

For me you have to trust your scouts, grade the top prospects and be honest, edge rushers get a natural bump as we're desperate, example we'd take a top 10 rated edge over a top 5 rated interior guy.

However you can't take a 2nd round rated edge over a top 5 rated interior guy as you just don't win by leaving that type of talent on the board.

Love your thinking and agreed. It's easy to say BPA in the first, but interior DL would be stupid. I'd take Allen, Jonah, secondary etc.

I'm not saying Williams isn't legit. Hell he may be a superstar, but we have so much already Invested there. Maybe we would even trade down. Who knows.

I said it in the Bosa thread: If we pick number one imo it's a done deal. We draft him. If not then we can discuss a ton of options!

How Quinnen Williams went from unknown to superstar
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25587540/alabama-quinnen-williams-tide-most-dominant-player
I was floating through the various draft sites and saw that one of them had us selecting this guy at #3...

Had to come to this thread and see who the bleep this guy was..... Clearly he has talent, but let's be honest - another #1 on DL/DT would trigger a crash on the WZ.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
I was floating through the various draft sites and saw that one of them had us selecting this guy at #3...

Had to come to this thread and see who the bleep this guy was..... Clearly he has talent, but let's be honest - another #1 on DL/DT would trigger a crash on the WZ.

I hope Lynch doesn't pass on this kid if we can't get Bosa. I believe that Williams is the best player to improve our pass rush if we miss out on Bosa.

Williams reminds me so much of the dominant interior pass rushers of the 90's. Teams know he's Alabama's best defensive player and yet they still can't do anything to stop him from getting into the backfield against the run and pass.

Jonah Williams is going to be a top 5 pick and he's quoted as saying something along the lines of "Trying to block Quinnen is like trying to block a bar of soap."

Buckner and Williams would be a devastating duo that very well could contribute 20+ combined sacks per season. Who do you double?

Sign a free agent EDGE like Graham, Fowler, or even Lawrence/ Ford/Clowney if their teams are stupid enough not to keep them, then draft Winovich/Sweat/Burns if any fall to the top of the 2nd or by trading back into the first.
Reminds me of BY.
Originally posted by zonkers:
Reminds me of BY.

BY and Sapp were exactly who I was thinking of when I said dominate interior rushers from the 90's.

I really would hate to see this kid end up in Arizona because while I'll be thrilled that we might end up with Bosa if they pass on him, I also would be scared to death of Jimmy running for his life against Chandler Jones and Q.
Share 49ersWebzone