There are 212 users in the forums

Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 45,481
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so now we're trading Solomon Thomas, drafting this guy and moving Buckner to NT?

Don't think so.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so now we're trading Solomon Thomas, drafting this guy and moving Buckner to NT?

Look at the original post. I'm against this pick under any circumstance. But the idea was to move Bucker to 5 and have Williams play 3. With what Buckner has now done this season, no one can ever ask to move Buckner from the 3 again lol. That spot is his until :-).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so now we're trading Solomon Thomas, drafting this guy and moving Buckner to NT?

Look at the original post. I'm against this pick under any circumstance. But the idea was to move Bucker to 5 and have Williams play 3. With what Buckner has now done this season, no one can ever ask to move Buckner from the 3 again lol. That spot is his until :-).

Ohhh. LOL. Yeah, that'll never happen with Saleh here AND because the second you move Buckner to end, he can no longer be optioned or tagged at a DT price but Edge and that's significantly more $.

The funny thing is that's where I wanted him originally with Thomas at 3T full time. Or at 1T since 1T & 3T is so interchangeable.
Imo this guy is to us what Bosa is to the Cardinals. Super prospect, but not a need.

Would I rather him over Thomas? Sure, but I just can't see us taking another interior DL guy here.

Imo adding Bosa to us with Buckner and adding Williams to the cards with Jones is equally impressive.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo this guy is to us what Bosa is to the Cardinals. Super prospect, but not a need.

Would I rather him over Thomas? Sure, but I just can't see us taking another interior DL guy here.

Imo adding Bosa to us with Buckner and adding Williams to the cards with Jones is equally impressive.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo this guy is to us what Bosa is to the Cardinals. Super prospect, but not a need.

Would I rather him over Thomas? Sure, but I just can't see us taking another interior DL guy here.

Imo adding Bosa to us with Buckner and adding Williams to the cards with Jones is equally impressive.


Exactly. The Cardinals are are opposites of us with the Dline. Makes too much sense for them to take either Williams and help their team a ton. If they do take Quinnen Williams, we are going to have to get it together FAST on the interior of our Oline.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo this guy is to us what Bosa is to the Cardinals. Super prospect, but not a need.

Would I rather him over Thomas? Sure, but I just can't see us taking another interior DL guy here.

Imo adding Bosa to us with Buckner and adding Williams to the cards with Jones is equally impressive.


Exactly. The Cardinals are are opposites of us with the Dline. Makes too much sense for them to take either Williams and help their team a ton. If they do take Quinnen Williams, we are going to have to get it together FAST on the interior of our Oline.

Oh yeah, there are no other quality interior D-Lineman currently in our division!

I think Bosa to us has a bigger effect than Quinnen to the Cards, I'm hoping they trade out, or we do if Bosa is gone.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 45,481
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imo this guy is to us what Bosa is to the Cardinals. Super prospect, but not a need.

Would I rather him over Thomas? Sure, but I just can't see us taking another interior DL guy here.

Imo adding Bosa to us with Buckner and adding Williams to the cards with Jones is equally impressive.


Exactly. The Cardinals are are opposites of us with the Dline. Makes too much sense for them to take either Williams and help their team a ton. If they do take Quinnen Williams, we are going to have to get it together FAST on the interior of our Oline.

Oh yeah, there are no other quality interior D-Lineman currently in our division!

I think Bosa to us has a bigger effect than Quinnen to the Cards, I'm hoping they trade out, or we do if Bosa is gone.

Yeah, without concensus ER at #2 - I think we should definitely think about moving out of that spot.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so now we're trading Solomon Thomas, drafting this guy and moving Buckner to NT?

Don't think so.

Buckner shouldn't be moved anywhere. The whole point of me wanting Q is to create chaos in the middle and allow everyone else to benefit. Any DC worth his salt should be able to have unblocked blitzers creating pressure off the attention paid to Buckner and Williams. What will teams do then, try and not double those two? We see what having two monster 3T's can do by watching the LAR and Suh isn't even as good as he once was, but him being there is helping Donald go from a 10+ sack guy to a 20 sack guy. Williams has a chance to do that for Buckner or vice versa. Williams also plays NT at Alabama and anyone thinking he can't play the 1 for us is crazy because this kid went from DE to NT at Alabama and no matter where they put him he dominates because he can't be blocked with his exceptional hand usage and the insane leverage/power/agility he plays with.

This also wouldn't spell the end of Thomas because he would still play the big end position and has a chance to keep developing as an elite run defender, but it takes him off the field on passing downs unless he can make huge strides rushing from the outside. We'd also have an incredible run defense by having both Thomas and Williams on the field on run downs because Williams is the best interior run defender in college.

Bosa is the only defensive player that anyone could make a case for that should be taken before Williams. If we pass on him for the a lesser player because they play EDGE, it will be a decision that we will regret for years.

While things may change soon, it is looking like this upcoming free agent class and draft class is going to be loaded at EDGE and we have a chance not only to get a player who has Aaron Donald like potential, but also come away with a legit EDGE rusher without selecting one in the top 5.

Which looks better on passing downs...

Fowler/Graham (FA)
Buckner
Williams (1st Round)
Winovich (2nd Round)

or

Fowler/Graham (FA)
Buckner
Thomas
Allen (1st Round)

The clear weak link is Thomas in that second lineup until he develops as a pass rusher. You eliminate that from the equation by selecting Williams.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Buckner shouldn't be moved anywhere. The whole point of me wanting Q is to create chaos in the middle and allow everyone else to benefit. Any DC worth his salt should be able to have unblocked blitzers creating pressure off the attention paid to Buckner and Williams. What will teams do then, try and not double those two? We see what having two monster 3T's can do by watching the LAR and Suh isn't even as good as he once was, but him being there is helping Donald go from a 10+ sack guy to a 20 sack guy. Williams has a chance to do that for Buckner or vice versa. Williams also plays NT at Alabama and anyone thinking he can't play the 1 for us is crazy because this kid went from DE to NT at Alabama and no matter where they put him he dominates because he can't be blocked with his exceptional hand usage and the insane leverage/power/agility he plays with.

This also wouldn't spell the end of Thomas because he would still play the big end position and has a chance to keep developing as an elite run defender, but it takes him off the field on passing downs unless he can make huge strides rushing from the outside. We'd also have an incredible run defense by having both Thomas and Williams on the field on run downs because Williams is the best interior run defender in college.

Bosa is the only defensive player that anyone could make a case for that should be taken before Williams. If we pass on him for the a lesser player because they play EDGE, it will be a decision that we will regret for years.

While things may change soon, it is looking like this upcoming free agent class and draft class is going to be loaded at EDGE and we have a chance not only to get a player who has Aaron Donald like potential, but also come away with a legit EDGE rusher without selecting one in the top 5.

Which looks better on passing downs...

Fowler/Graham (FA)
Buckner
Williams (1st Round)
Winovich (2nd Round)

or

Fowler/Graham (FA)
Buckner
Thomas
Allen (1st Round)

The clear weak link is Thomas in that second lineup until he develops as a pass rusher. You eliminate that from the equation by selecting Williams.




If they acquired Graham in FA and committed to taking someone like Winovich in the 2nd, I wouldn't be mad about drafting Williams. The interior would be absolutely monstrous, especially if you put Thomas at Big End like you said. RIP opponent rushing offense, RIP QB's stepping up in the pocket.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If they acquired Graham in FA and committed to taking someone like Winovich in the 2nd, I wouldn't be mad about drafting Williams. The interior would be absolutely monstrous, especially if you put Thomas at Big End like you said. RIP opponent rushing offense, RIP QB's stepping up in the pocket.

Can't assume you can get winovich in the 2nd...If they take Q at 2.

I see about a .000001% they take their 4th interior DL in the 1st rd in 5 yrs

If Bosa is gone (more than likely) give me graham in FA and Burns in the draft.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wait, so now we're trading Solomon Thomas, drafting this guy and moving Buckner to NT?

Don't think so.

Buckner shouldn't be moved anywhere. The whole point of me wanting Q is to create chaos in the middle and allow everyone else to benefit. Any DC worth his salt should be able to have unblocked blitzers creating pressure off the attention paid to Buckner and Williams. What will teams do then, try and not double those two? We see what having two monster 3T's can do by watching the LAR and Suh isn't even as good as he once was, but him being there is helping Donald go from a 10+ sack guy to a 20 sack guy. Williams has a chance to do that for Buckner or vice versa. Williams also plays NT at Alabama and anyone thinking he can't play the 1 for us is crazy because this kid went from DE to NT at Alabama and no matter where they put him he dominates because he can't be blocked with his exceptional hand usage and the insane leverage/power/agility he plays with.

This also wouldn't spell the end of Thomas because he would still play the big end position and has a chance to keep developing as an elite run defender, but it takes him off the field on passing downs unless he can make huge strides rushing from the outside. We'd also have an incredible run defense by having both Thomas and Williams on the field on run downs because Williams is the best interior run defender in college.

Bosa is the only defensive player that anyone could make a case for that should be taken before Williams. If we pass on him for the a lesser player because they play EDGE, it will be a decision that we will regret for years.

While things may change soon, it is looking like this upcoming free agent class and draft class is going to be loaded at EDGE and we have a chance not only to get a player who has Aaron Donald like potential, but also come away with a legit EDGE rusher without selecting one in the top 5.

Which looks better on passing downs...

Fowler/Graham (FA)
Buckner
Williams (1st Round)
Winovich (2nd Round)

or

Fowler/Graham (FA)
Buckner
Thomas
Allen (1st Round)

The clear weak link is Thomas in that second lineup until he develops as a pass rusher. You eliminate that from the equation by selecting Williams.

Great post, this is my backup option, but my first choice is to trade down.

People are acting like choosing a first rounder is the only way to address the edge rush, but we've got loads of choices, there should still be options at the top of the 2nd or we can trade up from there.

We can't pick a mid first round talent and pass on a bonafide stud.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Can't assume you can get winovich in the 2nd...If they take Q at 2.

I see about a .000001% they take their 4th interior DL in the 1st rd in 5 yrs

If Bosa is gone (more than likely) give me graham in FA and Burns in the draft.




It doesn't have to be Winovich but another edge rusher prospect. Williams and Buckner inside together would be such a ridiculous mismatch.


You also can't justify taking Burns in the top 5. Greatly reaching for need over talent seldom works out well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It doesn't have to be Winovich but another edge rusher prospect. Williams and Buckner inside together would be such a ridiculous mismatch.

Like who? It's great to say another prospect but their might not be a quality one (or a guy they like) in the 2nd/3rd rd. No more poo pooing on the edge rusher position.

Williams and buck play the same position. He's awesome, but we have an elite 3-tech.

It would be the most redundant pick.


Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:


You also can't justify taking Burns in the top 5. Greatly reaching for need over talent seldom works out well.

Drafting bpa doesn't always equal success, just ask GB.

If Q is sitting there I'm trying to trade down to get whatever I can...if he's the next great DT then there shouldn't be an issue finding a trade partner
Share 49erswebzone