There are 150 users in the forums

Noah Fant-TE-Iowa

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Yes, but people are here are talking round 1, which is rediculous. A round 1 TE is a luxury pick, and we are far from having am excess of riches

I think it'd be more of a Reuben Foster scenario where you move up from the 2nd for a player. If Fant does go super early then I agree that there's no chance that they take him but if he's still on the board somewhere in the Pick 25 and later range, I'd be all for moving up for him. Defenses having to defend both him and Kittle down the field while having to account for Goodwin's speed and Juice or McKinnon from out of the backfield would be a veritable nightmare.

You could run 12 and 13 Personnel all day and be able to run and pass the football equally well.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
I tend to agree, but if we traded down that's a different story.

The scenario's that I'm looking at where they could draft Fant:

A. They go edge rusher early and then Fant drops enough into the 20s that they move up for him from the 2nd round.

B. They sign someone like Fowler in FA, are out of range for Bosa, trade down multiple times instead, draft Fant and then add another one of the numerous edge rushers available somewhere in the late 1st to early 2nd round.

I think beyond edge rusher, a serious offensive weapon that can especially be useful in the redzone is needed. They could go with a WR, they could with a TE, they just need a big play guy but with a TE you have the added bonus of being able to utilize that player in run or pass sets and keep defenses guessing on what is coming.

It doesn't have to specifically be Fant either, I think he has star written all over him but someone like Caleb Wilson could also be very dangerous in this offense. He was blowing up last year with Rosen before he got injured, he's got the receiving ability, needs to improve his blocking but he's someone else to keep an eye on.
Caleb Wilson has been my guy, but even in a trade back into the 1st scenario, I got to think that draft capital is better spent on ER/CB where our need is much greater, and the depth in the draft much worse
Caleb Wilson has been my guy, but even in a trade back into the 1st scenario, I got to think that draft capital is better spent on ER/CB where our need is much greater, and the depth in the draft much worse

I think adding another weapon on offense would be quite welcome. Adding a top notch edge rusher will help the secondary and defense overall, adding another high quality receiving TE and redzone threat would make this offense so much more dangerous. The third most frequent personnel grouping for the 49ers in 2017 was 12 personnel, if they could add someone that is actually a top notch threat as opposed to a Celek, who could function as the 3rd TE, that would give Kyle so many options in terms of how to attack a defense, so much versatility, especially with how Fant has been used all over the offense at Iowa.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think adding another weapon on offense would be quite welcome. Adding a top notch edge rusher will help the secondary and defense overall, adding another high quality receiving TE and redzone threat would make this offense so much more dangerous. The third most frequent personnel grouping for the 49ers in 2017 was 12 personnel, if they could add someone that is actually a top notch threat as opposed to a Celek, who could function as the 3rd TE, that would give Kyle so many options in terms of how to attack a defense, so much versatility, especially with how Fant has been used all over the offense at Iowa.

I definitely get the vision. I've stated multiple times I just want another guard, deep threat WR, and TE. With Jimmy G, we could realistically look like the Kansas City Chiefs lite. Maybe even as good
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I PERSONALLY THINK that the 1st list in out bucket is to get some type of DC that will make our team tougher... We need to get some of those assistant from Baltimore and turn our boys to MEN defensively..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think it'd be more of a Reuben Foster scenario where you move up from the 2nd for a player. If Fant does go super early then I agree that there's no chance that they take him but if he's still on the board somewhere in the Pick 25 and later range, I'd be all for moving up for him. Defenses having to defend both him and Kittle down the field while having to account for Goodwin's speed and Juice or McKinnon from out of the backfield would be a veritable nightmare.

You could run 12 and 13 Personnel all day and be able to run and pass the football equally well.

Why would you use such a high pick to run 12 or 13 personnel when we accomplish the same thing by having Juice out of 21 or 22?

I'm all for a supplemental TE, but Kittle is our main guy so why spend premium capital?
Seems like the hype has fallen off for Fant, but he compares favorably to George Kittle as an athlete coming out. He's not as good at blocking, but he's as fast with longer arms and bigger hands and put up more reps on the bench press. He did a really nice job in the drill where they run in a straight line catching footballs. Definitely more of a move TE and not a big need but could be interesting in the late first/early 2nd.
He's going top 20, had a very nice day.. best TE prospect in the draft IMO
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

He looked really good in the tight ens gauntlet drills. Runs and catches smoothly. He'll go in the first for sure
Keeping the dream alive!!!

Kittle and Fant would be ridiculous
Interesting.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Why obsess over WRs when what we need is just more pass catchers?
Share 49ersWebzone