LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 191 users in the forums

Noah Fant-TE-Iowa

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Joe isn't retiring this year. Has one more year on his deal. I bet they sign him to another year extension as well.

Do need to address OT going forward. It doesn't HAVE to be with a 2019 1st. Can't prioritize positional need so highly that you ignore value.

Well, if you are wrong we are screwed next year. By the way, I thought I was clear. Edge rusher with the 1st. OT with the 2nd. Right now I dont care about value. Our need at edge over rides all over factors such as value. And a replacement for Joe Staley is nearly as important. I want to see Garoppolo alive at the end of a season.

I'd argue that we should go with a corner in the 2nd. We have Richard Sherman and.....

We need starters and although a tackle taken in the 2nd next year is likely a future starter, we need people to start right now. I'm confident in Kyle, but it's going to be pressure to produce a winning record + playoff appearance next year.

Not to neglect the position, but I'm hoping we go with a quality veteran (I may have to check and see if any tackles are set to hit the market). Then going into 2020, draft a tackle in the first.
Originally posted by English:
Well, if you are wrong we are screwed next year. By the way, I thought I was clear. Edge rusher with the 1st. OT with the 2nd. Right now I dont care about value. Our need at edge over rides all over factors such as value. And a replacement for Joe Staley is nearly as important. I want to see Garoppolo alive at the end of a season.

Thought I was too. To not draft a pass rusher in first would mean they addressed it in FA. Hence the you can get OTs and OGs on day 2.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 7, 2018 at 5:51 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd argue that we should go with a corner in the 2nd. We have Richard Sherman and.....

We need starters and although a tackle taken in the 2nd next year is likely a future starter, we need people to start right now. I'm confident in Kyle, but it's going to be pressure to produce a winning record + playoff appearance next year.

Not to neglect the position, but I'm hoping we go with a quality veteran (I may have to check and see if any tackles are set to hit the market). Then going into 2020, draft a tackle in the first.

I'd like to see what Witherspoon can do playing more press without sitting in soft zones all the time. Any CB on this team will be wasteful with the scheming they are doing right now.
Originally posted by 9moon:
TEs grow on trees... no need to take them in the 1st round...

They will get all the stats in the world, but they will never get any team to the SB..

great ones like Gronk and Kelce can help a whole lot though...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Rudolph from the Vikings can be as good as the guys you mentioned, but right now, he ain't doing a whole lot because their QB does not look for TE very often..

Bottom line is, there are 3 different kinda TEs.. A pass catcher, a blocker and a backup..
Sign me up for trading our entire draft to land Fant, N'Keal, and Bosa!

Kidding, but I've got draft crushes on all three.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:

If we were like a solid 8-8 team and were going to add 3 impact players, I'd be all for it.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:

I'm drooling for all three of those guys. I can't imagine we have the capital to make that happen... But yeah, sign me the f** up
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If we were like a solid 8-8 team and were going to add 3 impact players, I'd be all for it.

We can plug a few holes and add depth w/ FAs. Adding true difference makers is worth a sacrifice or two in other areas. Wasn't everyone gung-ho to trade two 1sts for Khalil Mack? Granted, that was when we thought we were good, but the principle remains true.

Sad reality I think is Harry, Fant, and Bosa are all likely Top 20 picks. So it would cost waay more than our combined 2019 draft picks to get all 3 of 'em.
Wr, sure, but kittle has shown to be an everytown TE1. Sure, he has his share of bad drops, but that's my biggest knock on Fant as well. No way do we need to be spending a top 50 pick on a TE

• HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by HERN:
This guy is Jimmy Graham.

No need to insult Fant like that he's done nothing to u

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Wr, sure, but kittle has shown to be an everytown TE1. Sure, he has his share of bad drops, but that's my biggest knock on Fant as well. No way do we need to be spending a top 50 pick on a TE

Having two top TEs to utilize the way the Patriots did with Gronkowski and Hernandez would present even more matchup issues for defenses. Kyle was very fond of his 2 TE sets in Atlanta, this would take it to another level.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Having two top TEs to utilize the way the Patriots did with Gronkowski and Hernandez would present even more matchup issues for defenses. Kyle was very fond of his 2 TE sets in Atlanta, this would take it to another level.

Yes, but people are here are talking round 1, which is rediculous. A round 1 TE is a luxury pick, and we are far from having am excess of riches

Yes, but people are here are talking round 1, which is rediculous. A round 1 TE is a luxury pick, and we are far from having am excess of riches

I think if we take anything other than an edge defender in round one the webzone will implode.

I tend to agree, but if we traded down that's a different story.
Share 49ersWebzone