There are 253 users in the forums

Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft V2.0

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Phoenix.
Would Dorsett be the Niners' #1 receiver next season?

I see him as a complementary piece, with Boldin being #1, Johnson #2 and Dorsett in a rotation as a deep threat, while you've got Patton and Ellington sharing snaps as well. I think the speed of a guy like Dorsett would certainly open up opportunities for guys like Boldin. Lockett is another guy that I think could fit that role very well

Then again I probably have more faith in Ellington and Patton as receivers than most, I think both have very good potential but were mostly mismanaged by the previous coaching staff.

If not Shelton in the 1st round, my other preference would be Kevin White but I think with the possibility of Justin Smith retiring, if Shelton can be a dominant NT in the NFL, to me that is the bigger need. New England has regularly changed out their DE's but the one constant has been Wilfork in the middle. I could see Shelton being that kind of player and having a guy like that changes everything on a defense and I believe could let the 49ers do well, even with lesser players at DE. If Mangini is going to play a 2 gap system, then getting a big space eater of sorts in the middle will pretty much be a necessity. Fortunately, even outside of Shelton there's a few pretty good ones in this draft as well.
Getting a dominant NT has its benefits in stopping Seattle's run game in particular. But it was the Niners offense that was embarrassingly bad. I prefer your choice of White with the R1 selection. I'd keep your choice of running back and Dorsett. The offense last year was that bad.
Not realistic -- I'm not angry enough about the 1st pick.

In all seriousness though, my next mock will have people cursing the 1st rounder. I am trying to imitate Baalke's style as close as possible and think I have a really good feel for some choices he may be looking at already. A lot of times, you hear later on that they had already predetermined who they're going to get in the 1st.
my initial mock (haven't officially posted) also has Duke and Dorsett in it
no complaints about this here. good work
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

In all seriousness though, my next mock will have people cursing the 1st rounder. I am trying to imitate Baalke's style as close as possible and think I have a really good feel for some choices he may be looking at already. A lot of times, you hear later on that they had already predetermined who they're going to get in the 1st.
We are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He is projecting us to take an offensive lineman.
Would not refuse.
Great mock Phoenix! I really like all the picks as needs (most) or upgrades (Johnson and Saxton).

Round 1-Danny Shelton-NT-Washington-6'1", 340.
Very much afraid Shelton will be long gone by the niners spot. Trade up? If he's gone, do you go for Goldman or best WR? As we discussed in the past, Shelton adds a potential dominant caliber DL if/when Justin retires.

Round 2-Duke Johnson-RB-Miami-5'9", 206.
The niners do need explosive players on offense so this would be a nice Gore replacement in a year or two...or next year if he doesn't resign.

Round 3-Phillip Dorsett-WR-Miami-5'10", 180.
If Shelton is gone in the first and they take a WR, Carl Davis might fall here.

Round 4-Byron Jones-CB-UConn-6'0", 195.
A Baalke special? LOL! If they lose Culliver and Cox this would make a lot of sense!

Round 5-Wes Saxton-TE-South Alabama-6'4", 235.
Like this pick a lot...although I also like the niners group of TEs. Saxton "drives through tacklers" is my favorite comment about him.

Round 6-J.R. Tavai-OLB-USC-6'2", 250.
With Aldon being a dunder head and Brooks likely gone, this is more necessary than it should be!

Round 7-DeVante Davis-WR-UNLV-6'3", 220.
All I needed to read about this guy was on the CBS site--Prospects Boy do the niners need a guy like this...if they can find a coach to help him!

*Comp Picks.

4th Round Comp Pick-Sean Mannion-QB-Oregon State-6'5", 230.
Not sure they shouldn't just go after a decent vet backup. This group of QBs is a bit underwhelming. A DT like Gabe Wright might be a good pickup here given the need.

7th Round Comp Pick-Chaz Green-OG/OT-Florida-6'5", 305.
Can always use developmental OL!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:21 AM ]
Phoenix.

I see him as a complementary piece, with Boldin being #1, Johnson #2 and Dorsett in a rotation as a deep threat, while you've got Patton and Ellington sharing snaps as well. I think the speed of a guy like Dorsett would certainly open up opportunities for guys like Boldin. Lockett is another guy that I think could fit that role very well

Then again I probably have more faith in Ellington and Patton as receivers than most, I think both have very good potential but were mostly mismanaged by the previous coaching staff.

If not Shelton in the 1st round, my other preference would be Kevin White but I think with the possibility of Justin Smith retiring, if Shelton can be a dominant NT in the NFL, to me that is the bigger need. New England has regularly changed out their DE's but the one constant has been Wilfork in the middle. I could see Shelton being that kind of player and having a guy like that changes everything on a defense and I believe could let the 49ers do well, even with lesser players at DE. If Mangini is going to play a 2 gap system, then getting a big space eater of sorts in the middle will pretty much be a necessity. Fortunately, even outside of Shelton there's a few pretty good ones in this draft as well.

I don't think New England has had a dominant DE since Richard Seymour.
Phoenix.

Getting a dominant NT has its benefits in stopping Seattle's run game in particular. But it was the Niners offense that was embarrassingly bad. I prefer your choice of White with the R1 selection. I'd keep your choice of running back and Dorsett. The offense last year was that bad.

I think the addition of Dorsett and Johnson completely changes the picture for this offense. If we have a healthy Vernon Davis, actually use ALL of our receivers, and let the best ones start (Stevie Johnson), then the offense should put up points. I think Geep Chryst, if named the OC, can have a lot of fun with this offense with the kind of guys we have.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Like the picks and I wouldn't be upset if it went down like this....couple questions.

You said if they grab Shelton they might move Dorsey to DE, wasn't that his position at KC and he was on his was to becoming a bust before moving to NT here?

Love the Duke Johnson pick but this draft is deep at RB and maybe a 2nd rd pick (depending on Gore) might be to early. Thoughts on Carl Davis in the 2nd and K White in the 1st??

Thoughts on Devin Smith or Tyler Lockett instead of Dorsett? They are both plenty fast.

And I'll pass on Mannion in the 4th....I've been reading he looks undraftable at the SB practices.

I just think we have been able to get the most out of the DL and have been able to develop that position at the next level, but WR not so much.... so maybe grabbing a "safer" pick at WR would be wise vs DL.

just my 2 cents...best mock I've seen so far though

The issue from what I understand with Dorsey isn't that he wasn't necessarily a bust. He was always pretty stout against the run. I just think Kansas City felt they were getting some dominant pass rusher in Glen Dorsey and he definitely is not that.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Like the picks and I wouldn't be upset if it went down like this....couple questions.

You said if they grab Shelton they might move Dorsey to DE, wasn't that his position at KC and he was on his was to becoming a bust before moving to NT here?

Love the Duke Johnson pick but this draft is deep at RB and maybe a 2nd rd pick (depending on Gore) might be to early. Thoughts on Carl Davis in the 2nd and K White in the 1st??

Thoughts on Devin Smith or Tyler Lockett instead of Dorsett? They are both plenty fast.

And I'll pass on Mannion in the 4th....I've been reading he looks undraftable at the SB practices.

I just think we have been able to get the most out of the DL and have been able to develop that position at the next level, but WR not so much.... so maybe grabbing a "safer" pick at WR would be wise vs DL.

just my 2 cents...best mock I've seen so far though

The issue from what I understand with Dorsey isn't that he wasn't necessarily a bust. He was always pretty stout against the run. I just think Kansas City felt they were getting some dominant pass rusher in Glen Dorsey and he definitely is not that.

Yeah was he able to get to the QB in college? I can't remember maybe he was just over drafted.
I think it would be a good idea if we took Kevin White our Parker and do some trading to acquire 2 2nd rd picks for a CB & OLB or 3 biggest needs
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Phoenix.

I don't think New England has had a dominant DE since Richard Seymour.

Ninkovich has been pretty good for them, not Seymour good but definitely a solid player.
Interesting draft. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
Share 49ersWebzone