Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 864 users in the forums

Sammie Coates-WR-Auburn

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by NYniner85:
-NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote "I'm writing up Auburn WR Sammy Coates right now. Just watched every target over 2013 and 2014. Some of the worst hands I've seen on tape,"

-Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-2, 201-pound wideout has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands,"

two out of three ain't bad....well catching the ball is pretty important for a WR lol.

Why would we want to draft a WR who can't catch the ball? Lol.
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
-NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote "I'm writing up Auburn WR Sammy Coates right now. Just watched every target over 2013 and 2014. Some of the worst hands I've seen on tape,"

-Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-2, 201-pound wideout has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands,"

two out of three ain't bad....well catching the ball is pretty important for a WR lol.

Why would we want to draft a WR who can't catch the ball? Lol.

In fairness, Terrell Owens didn't exactly have the best hands either and he's arguably the second best receiver of all time. Also catching is something that you can improve on. Just look at how much better Vernon Davis had gotten at catching. Jerry Rice also struggled with catching the ball his rookie year. Now obviously a guy isn't going to go from Darius Heyward Bey hands to Cris Carter hands, but it is something that you can get better at.

Getting open/route running is the most important attribute for a receiver. I'd take a guy with great route running ability and mediocre hands all day over a guy with mediocre route running and great hands.

Sammie Coates looked damn good when I watched him play and he certainly has the athleticism that we are desperately needing in a wide receiver. Not sure how good of a route runner he is though..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,301
he can be the next Tedd Ginn, Jr.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
-NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote "I'm writing up Auburn WR Sammy Coates right now. Just watched every target over 2013 and 2014. Some of the worst hands I've seen on tape,"

-Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-2, 201-pound wideout has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands,"

two out of three ain't bad....well catching the ball is pretty important for a WR lol.

Why would we want to draft a WR who can't catch the ball? Lol.

In fairness, Terrell Owens didn't exactly have the best hands either and he's arguably the second best receiver of all time. Also catching is something that you can improve on. Just look at how much better Vernon Davis had gotten at catching. Jerry Rice also struggled with catching the ball his rookie year. Now obviously a guy isn't going to go from Darius Heyward Bey hands to Cris Carter hands, but it is something that you can get better at.

Getting open/route running is the most important attribute for a receiver. I'd take a guy with great route running ability and mediocre hands all day over a guy with mediocre route running and great hands.

Sammie Coates looked damn good when I watched him play and he certainly has the athleticism that we are desperately needing in a wide receiver. Not sure how good of a route runner he is though..

I'm not sure about he route running either. He gets compared to Torrey Smith a lot.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
In fairness, Terrell Owens didn't exactly have the best hands either and he's arguably the second best receiver of all time. Also catching is something that you can improve on. Just look at how much better Vernon Davis had gotten at catching. Jerry Rice also struggled with catching the ball his rookie year. Now obviously a guy isn't going to go from Darius Heyward Bey hands to Cris Carter hands, but it is something that you can get better at.

Getting open/route running is the most important attribute for a receiver. I'd take a guy with great route running ability and mediocre hands all day over a guy with mediocre route running and great hands.

Sammie Coates looked damn good when I watched him play and he certainly has the athleticism that we are desperately needing in a wide receiver. Not sure how good of a route runner he is though..

He had a limited route tree in college, which is one of my red flags along with his hands
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Jan 22, 2015 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
-NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote "I'm writing up Auburn WR Sammy Coates right now. Just watched every target over 2013 and 2014. Some of the worst hands I've seen on tape,"

-Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-2, 201-pound wideout has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands,"

two out of three ain't bad....well catching the ball is pretty important for a WR lol.

Why would we want to draft a WR who can't catch the ball? Lol.

Funny thing is he used TO to describe a TO coming out of college. Freakish athletic ability and poor hands.
Originally posted by shmuck:
He would definitely be a first rounder if he could catch. Too bad that's the single most important job of a WR.

Not in our offense
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,006
Nice Article On Sammie Coates Senior Bowl Week



http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-senior-bowl-0123-20150122-story.html
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
He had a limited route tree in college, which is one of my red flags along with his hands
so do most of the WR-prospects.
Good hands are a must when Kap is throwing his fast balls out there. Even Crabs and Boldin have had trouble catching his sideline bullets. I was really high on Sammie and would still like him to be a Niner, but if he is not worth a mid first round pick. If his buzz gets too high he might not be there when we pick in the second round and although he looks good, I do not think he is worth moving up for. I would still grab White or Parker as more solid options. If you want to gamble, then take DGB.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,006
Sammie Coates Practice


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7-zkEPCcAAwaxm.jpg

http://giant.gfycat.com/QuickNastyFiddlercrab.gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/ColorfulMistyKrill.gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/OptimalBaggyAdouri.gif

https://vine.co/v/OIdnel06Lb0
Originally posted by DeUh:
Sammie Coates Practice


https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7-zkEPCcAAwaxm.jpg

http://giant.gfycat.com/QuickNastyFiddlercrab.gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/ColorfulMistyKrill.gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/OptimalBaggyAdouri.gif

https://vine.co/v/OIdnel06Lb0

Nice vids. Think he would be a nice fit in this offense to help stretch the field
Will be interesting to see how he does, kind of flying under the radar right now. I think he would be a great fit in our offense.
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
-NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote "I'm writing up Auburn WR Sammy Coates right now. Just watched every target over 2013 and 2014. Some of the worst hands I've seen on tape,"

-Brugler wrote. The 6-foot-2, 201-pound wideout has "[Terrell Owens'] body, [Odell Beckham Jr.'s] burst and [Darrius Heyward-Bey's] hands,"

two out of three ain't bad....well catching the ball is pretty important for a WR lol.

Why would we want to draft a WR who can't catch the ball? Lol.

Darius Heyward Bey
6'1", 213, 4.43 40 time, 41" vertical, 10'11" broad jump.



As I mentioned in the other thread, the comparison to Torrey Smith is a bit uncanny. Both were quality vertical threats with iffy hands coming out of college.


Smith-6'1", 204, 4.43 40 time, 41" vertical, 10'6" broad jump.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone