LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

why do we want a 5'9 cb with the 30 pick

• pfizz
it's pretty evident who follows college football and who is basing their opinion off of a youtube video. if you watched TCU play at all you would know this guy is ridiculous regardless of size.
[ Edited by pfizz on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM ]
I like Verrett, Im not big on selecting players based on size. I know everyone is obsessed with the new flavor of the month "a la" Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. But size does not equate success we should know with our own inhouse guys T. Brown was 5'10, T. Brock is 5'10 both are solid corners and because they are under 6' i dont know where everyone is getting this idea they cant play press coverage? If you ever watch our defense you will know that we dont play that much press coverage, thats not to say that we wont play more man press moving forward. The biggest trouble we had the past seasons have come from fast/quick slot recievers our slot coverage has been questionable at best. Verrett can run and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. People quickly forget Seattle can play that style of defense because of their most valuable player on D who was drafted first round and everyone said the same thing about his size 5'10 Earl Thomas.
Originally posted by SF9er05:
I like Verrett, Im not big on selecting players based on size. I know everyone is obsessed with the new flavor of the month "a la" Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. But size does not equate success we should know with our own inhouse guys T. Brown was 5'10, T. Brock is 5'10 both are solid corners and because they are under 6' i dont know where everyone is getting this idea they cant play press coverage? If you ever watch our defense you will know that we dont play that much press coverage, thats not to say that we wont play more man press moving forward. The biggest trouble we had the past seasons have come from fast/quick slot recievers our slot coverage has been questionable at best. Verrett can run and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. People quickly forget Seattle can play that style of defense because of their most valuable player on D who was drafted first round and everyone said the same thing about his size 5'10 Earl Thomas.

My first mock about a month ago had Verrett and Jimmie Ward. Imagine the range of our secondary with Verrett, Ward, and Reid
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Because he's a flat-out baller...they'd draft him to be the slot cover CB, something we don't really have now. Baalke will also draft a CB for size and length. One of the greatest CB's in NFL history is Daryl Green...and he was all of 5-9.

Actually, Daryll Green is 5-8. Verrett is very fast and one of the quickest players in the draft this year. He had one of the fastest 20 yard shuttles at the combine. He has tremendous closing speed and a 39" vertical leap. And, when you watch the film, he jumps out as an amazing corner. He has great skill at closing and getting his hand in front of the receiver to bat the ball away. There are other corners I would like them to try, but if they go with Verrett, I won't be disappointed because I think he flat-out can play. I don't think anyone out there can out-run him or out-cut him.
Originally posted by crake49:
Because he's a flat-out baller...they'd draft him to be the slot cover CB, something we don't really have now. Baalke will also draft a CB for size and length. One of the greatest CB's in NFL history is Daryl Green...and he was all of 5-9.

Actually, Daryll Green is 5-8. Verrett is very fast and one of the quickest players in the draft this year. He had one of the fastest 20 yard shuttles at the combine. He has tremendous closing speed and a 39" vertical leap. And, when you watch the film, he jumps out as an amazing corner. He has great skill at closing and getting his hand in front of the receiver to bat the ball away. There are other corners I would like them to try, but if they go with Verrett, I won't be disappointed because I think he flat-out can play. I don't think anyone out there can out-run him or out-cut him.

Daryll Green was amazing one of the greatest DBs of all time, Tim Jennings from Chicago is another "small" corner that comes to mind he is 5'8 and he can flat out ball. Bob Sanders was all of 5'7 and he played with reckless abandon, Antione Winfield etc. the league has had plenty of talented small players along with prototypical bust!
Originally posted by crake49:

Not to be picky, but Darrell Green is listed as 5'9" on various sites: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeDa00.htm

But the underlying issue is correct...size is not an issue when a player has the overall talent!
Share 49ersWebzone