LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

49ers to Target the 2010 QB Draft Class???

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by PTulini:
So I'm seeing a lot of you saying you want to draft a high profile QB in next years draft.... and I recognize some of you from all of those Alex Smith, Shaun Hill debates rooting for Alex to step up and be our "franchise" QB and be an all star QB.

Not making sense here. You guys are contradicting yourselves. All up on Alex Smith's bandwagon, yet hoping we draft a QB that would most likely go in the top 10 picks, a la Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy...

I guess you guys don't have too much faith in your boy Alex Smith anymore. I never did!

I have never backed down from my support for Alex Smith and I'm about to start now! All I meant was that if I had a choice of the QBs projected to be in next year's draft class, I would choose Texas QB Colt McCoy. He is one of the most accurate college QBs I've ever seen! Just look at this video from YouTube!

So you're saying you'd rather have Colt McCoy than your beloved Alex Smith????

NO!!!

"I have never backed down from my support for Alex Smith and I'm about to start now!"

You said you're about to start now, as in you're about to start backing down and stop supporting Alex Smith. Doesn't this mean you finally agree that he sucks?

DAMN IT! NO, I'm saying out of all of the QBs projected in next year's draft class, Texas' Colt McCoy would be my choice! It DOES NOT mean that I think we should draft him, or that I'm giving up on Alex Smith. It's just my personal opinion, I would choose Colt McCoy based upon next year's class.
  • sir_clinksalot
  • Info N/A
Honestly, I'd be happy with Tebow. He's certainly got the most experience and the way he led that team last year was awesome, although I don't like the Gators.

I seem to remember another QB that people didn't think could throw well. I believe he came out of Notre Dame and went by the name of "Joe". Just Joe. :)
Originally posted by sir_clinksalot:
Honestly, I'd be happy with Tebow. He's certainly got the most experience and the way he led that team last year was awesome, although I don't like the Gators.

I seem to remember another QB that people didn't think could throw well. I believe he came out of Notre Dame and went by the name of "Joe". Just Joe. :)

i still hope our current 1st overall QB breaks out this year so we dont have to worry about which of these guys to draft and we can use both picks next year on a bad ass safety and a rush OLB, DE, RT, CB, someone we wont have to wait a few years to develop that can come in and help right away. drafting another top QB would be a huge setback because we would have to actually develop him, not throw him in the fire like nolan did to smith. If smith can be a serviceable starter this year, then ok, draft one of these guys to sit and learn but only if smith shows signs he cant get any better, its way to early to be thinking about another QB. this season is a test to find out what smith actually looks like when healthy, he improved from year one to two and then the injuries derailed him. i hope the guy we wanted in the 05 draft shows up and we dont have to start over
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

i still hope our current 1st overall QB breaks out this year so we dont have to worry about which of these guys to draft and we can use both picks next year on a bad ass safety and a rush OLB, DE, RT, CB, someone we wont have to wait a few years to develop that can come in and help right away. drafting another top QB would be a huge setback because we would have to actually develop him, not throw him in the fire like nolan did to smith. If smith can be a serviceable starter this year, then ok, draft one of these guys to sit and learn but only if smith shows signs he cant get any better, its way to early to be thinking about another QB. this season is a test to find out what smith actually looks like when healthy, he improved from year one to two and then the injuries derailed him. i hope the guy we wanted in the 05 draft shows up and we dont have to start over

I agree, I have always supported Alex Smith.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Not a good comparison. Coming out of college Montana had better mechanics and a much quicker release (Tebow has a very slow release), and his knock was his average arm strength.

There are lots of QB's who come out of college with as much experience as Tebow who show great leadership like Tebow has but don't translate well to the pro game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Not a good comparison. Coming out of college Montana had better mechanics and a much quicker release (Tebow has a very slow release), and his knock was his average arm strength.

There are lots of QB's who come out of college with as much experience as Tebow who show great leadership like Tebow has but don't translate well to the pro game.

And lets not forget that Joe was a much more polished passer than what Tebow is.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I want Sam Bradford but I have feeling he will go #1 overall.

If Tim Tebow improves as a passer, he would be my second choice. Really really interested in seeing his new QB coach improve his mechanics. Would like to see him take more snaps under center and go through his progressions.

What worries me about Bradford is i haven't seen any toughness out of the guy. I haven't seen him get hit in the mouth and get back up and really led his team to tough victory. It's like I'm just not sure how tough he is and if he's really built for the NFL. Time will tell but i dont' think the Niners will be picking that high to get him either.

Every Ball in the florida game is on the money. The wr's drooped perfected passes and got 2 int's because he's wr's wouldn't fight a hobo for a dollar. Watch that game if you don't believe me. Every ball! The defenders out played those wr's.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jul 26, 2009 at 21:54:28 ]
If Snead and Bradford were to enter the same draft, who do you all think would be chosen #1 overall....for the people who ACTUALLY SAW JEVAN SNEAD PLAY??

Right now it's Sam Bradford. But that could change.

Snead currently probably fits somewhere between 20-40, if he improves his game this year and has a good offseason he could be a top 10 player. He had 1 terrible game last year (vs Vandy) and he had a great bowl game (surprised many didn't see that game at least (vs Texas Tech). GoFD summed him up perfectly :

Originally posted by GoFD74:

Snead is a raw talent (sort of Bret Favre-like in that way), but not very disciplined in the pocket and still getting used to the nuances of reading coverages and such, but there's a lot to like about someone with his size, ability/mobility and cannon for an arm.

As far as trading up to the top pick goes (rob28)....how bout NO. Terrible idea. Do not want to pay that kind of money to something that is not a sure thing at the QB position and that sets us a back few years further. Trading up a few slots is one thing and I am not opposed to this, but there will be other QB prospects that could be available that have great potential (Hiller, Devlin, McCoy etc) and other prospects at various other positions that could provide upgrades over what we currently have. We should look to draft 3 players on the first day with those 3 picks or either trade back 1 or 2 of those picks and accumulate additional picks (either in the late 1st/2nd of the 2010 draft or picks for the 2011 draft) without sacrificing any of our 1st round picks.

A rookie QB does not always set you back. Did Matt Ryan set the falcons back? no he got them to the playoffs. Same for Flacco, he wasn't a sure thing at QB either but did he set the Ravens back? no im pretty sure they went to the playoffs too. think before you say things that dont make sense.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMoore56:
If Snead and Bradford were to enter the same draft, who do you all think would be chosen #1 overall....for the people who ACTUALLY SAW JEVAN SNEAD PLAY??

Right now it's Sam Bradford. But that could change.

Snead currently probably fits somewhere between 20-40, if he improves his game this year and has a good offseason he could be a top 10 player. He had 1 terrible game last year (vs Vandy) and he had a great bowl game (surprised many didn't see that game at least (vs Texas Tech). GoFD summed him up perfectly :

Originally posted by GoFD74:

Snead is a raw talent (sort of Bret Favre-like in that way), but not very disciplined in the pocket and still getting used to the nuances of reading coverages and such, but there's a lot to like about someone with his size, ability/mobility and cannon for an arm.

As far as trading up to the top pick goes (rob28)....how bout NO. Terrible idea. Do not want to pay that kind of money to something that is not a sure thing at the QB position and that sets us a back few years further. Trading up a few slots is one thing and I am not opposed to this, but there will be other QB prospects that could be available that have great potential (Hiller, Devlin, McCoy etc) and other prospects at various other positions that could provide upgrades over what we currently have. We should look to draft 3 players on the first day with those 3 picks or either trade back 1 or 2 of those picks and accumulate additional picks (either in the late 1st/2nd of the 2010 draft or picks for the 2011 draft) without sacrificing any of our 1st round picks.

A rookie QB does not always set you back. Did Matt Ryan set the falcons back? no he got them to the playoffs. Same for Flacco, he wasn't a sure thing at QB either but did he set the Ravens back? no im pretty sure they went to the playoffs too. think before you say things that dont make sense.

What he said makes sense, you just talked about two exceptions. In fact, only 1. Flacco became QB of a team with top 3 Defense, and one of the better running team in the NFL. That is a recipe for success for a young QB. Not to mention, Ravens have a damn good O-line.

We don't have a top 5 D and our running game is decent and our O-line sucks!

Matt Ryan is the only exception I can think of. Falcons didn't have a great D and O-line was questionable too. It did help them a lot that they added Michael Turner and Roddy White was starting to play like a true no.1 WR the year before Ryan came aboard.

I have no problem with drafting a QB in first round next year, but I don't want to give up both our picks and then draft a QB top 3 and pay him 60 million.
If I had to choose right now, it would be Colt McCoy. There was an article written about him this summer where Archie Manning compares him to Drew Brees. I wouldn't mind that at all, Alex Smith or not. Second choice......Jevan Snead as a bigger, more traditional drop back QB.

1a. Eric Berry
1b. Terrance Cody
2. Tim Tebow

How does that look for your first two rounds?
Originally posted by bigwads:
1a. Eric Berry
1b. Terrance Cody
2. Tim Tebow

i like it other than the cody pick. i think he will eat himself out of the league within 4 years. he will only play 1 out of 4 downs. no way he can play too many snaps at that weight
1a. Eric Berry
1b. Terrance Cody
2. Tim Tebow

i like it other than the cody pick. i think he will eat himself out of the league within 4 years. he will only play 1 out of 4 downs. no way he can play too many snaps at that weight

Totally agree with you on the Cody front... If we are still looking for our NT next year, then Ndamukong Suh is my guy and has been since the countdown till 3/25/10 began... I say 'IF' we are still looking because Im actually very interested to see what Sopoaga can do in the one-gapping scheme favored by Manusky.

That being said - my dream sceanario for next years 1st round would have us walking away with Eric Berry (1a) and Jevan Snead (1b).
Originally posted by abowers1984:
1a. Eric Berry
1b. Terrance Cody
2. Tim Tebow

Totally agree with you on the Cody front... If we are still looking for our NT next year, then Ndamukong Suh is my guy and has been since the countdown till 3/25/10 began... I say 'IF' we are still looking because Im actually very interested to see what Sopoaga can do in the one-gapping scheme favored by Manusky.

That being said - my dream sceanario for next years 1st round would have us walking away with Eric Berry (1a) and Jevan Snead (1b).

eric berry or taylor mays would not disappoint me. i hope smith proves he belongs so we dont have to blow a pick on a QB again but if we do i would take McCoy or Tebow in the 2nd if we miss McCoy and Bradford (who should be long gone by the time we pick). i dont buy into the Tebow wont be drafted as a QB B.S. that everyone seems to be talking about.

Geeze! Some of the sh7t that people write is effing amazing!
Share 49ersWebzone