There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OFFICIAL Spurs vs. Grizzlies playoff series thread

Originally posted by sacniner:
Pop gets everything out of his players. So damn impressive. Leonard is a good player, but I think he has flourished because of Pop and the culture in SA. If one of the mediocre teams drafted him (like the Kings), I doubt he would have made these strides. He was always solid on defense coming out of San Diego, but he has made some serious strides on offense. And Danny Green. Didn't he go to the D league after Boston? That kids looks like a TOTALLY different player in SA. Wow.

Pop would have made Gerald Wallace a near top level player.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Pop gets everything out of his players. So damn impressive. Leonard is a good player, but I think he has flourished because of Pop and the culture in SA. If one of the mediocre teams drafted him (like the Kings), I doubt he would have made these strides. He was always solid on defense coming out of San Diego, but he has made some serious strides on offense. And Danny Green. Didn't he go to the D league after Boston? That kids looks like a TOTALLY different player in SA. Wow.

Pop would have made Gerald Wallace a near top level player.

No doubt... After I posted this, I saw an article on Grantland that is semi-related: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/62485/the-kawhi-leonard-conundrum-and-why-life-is-unfair

About players getting drafter and their success, especially early on, relying heavily on where they go. Pops gets the most out of players by far. Guys like Spitter and Gary Neal being contributors. Who else does that? Honestly, he is the best coach I have probably seen. I'm 29, and I can't think of anyone better in the NBA.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Allen with the intent to injure

LOL There was no intent to injure Parker on that play.

It was an intentional trip - can you really think otherwise? - and a person is presumed to intend the natural and probable consequences of his actions. Parker could have easily been injured badly. Dahntay Jones got suspended for doing something very similar to Kobe in 2009, albeit not as craftily.

I like Tony Allen, come on ...

It was an intentional trip - can you really think otherwise? - and a person is presumed to intend the natural and probable consequences of his actions. Parker could have easily been injured badly. Dahntay Jones got suspended for doing something very similar to Kobe in 2009, albeit not as craftily.

LOL intent to injure. Parker could take that fall 100 times and 99 times he is fine. The 1 other time he gets a bruise on his arm. This wasn't taking someone's legs out on a dunk when they are 10 feet in the air. He fell 2 feet at a slow speed. Of course it was on purpose and crafty (Oh I just pivoted my left foot and whoops).

Tony Allen should have gotten fined, at least. Usually, the guy who's tripping is the one who's more prone to injury; twisted knee or something. Still, was dirty. Without Tony, we are not a playoff team.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

LOL intent to injure. Parker could take that fall 100 times and 99 times he is fine. The 1 other time he gets a bruise on his arm. This wasn't taking someone's legs out on a dunk when they are 10 feet in the air. He fell 2 feet at a slow speed. Of course it was on purpose and crafty (Oh I just pivoted my left foot and whoops).

Slow speed? Uh, not really, but maybe slower than usual for Parker since he had had just burnt him with a spin. Not sure that makes it better, because Allen likely thought Parker was in less control of his body than usual.

LOL at 99 times out of 100. Cool stat.

[ Edited by dobophile on May 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM ]
Slow speed? Uh, not really, but maybe slower than usual for Parker since he had had just burnt him with a spin. Not sure that makes it better, because Allen likely thought Parker was in less control of his body than usual.

LOL at 99 times out of 100. Cool stat.

My bad. Should know better than to make up stats with the guy who knows the intent of other people. But honestly, how many professional basketball players get injured tripping? You think it is a lot? These guys have great body control and fall down all game long (they know not to brace with their arms and break their wrists, watch Tony roll). I think stepping under a jump shooter or taking someone out on a dunk attempt are more intentional and cause more injury.

And honestly I just quoted you again in hopes of another gif.
Man, I hate blowout Game 1's. It rarely displays what will happen throughout the series this deep into the playoffs. What I hated about the Spurs last year during the regular season was that Pop would immediately sit the key players if a game got out of hand...losing or winning. I think it hurt the team in the losses because they never learned how to fight back. In the Playoffs, vs OKC, we needed a double digit cushion or it was over.

This year was a little different. I noticed at times when we were down by a lot, Pop did keep the core in to fight back. If this were last year, we would have lost to the warriors.

A little worried about Game 2 but Memphis is not more talented than the Spurs other than one big mofo in the middle. I think we have them outmatched at every position except for Gasol.

Leonard >> Prince
Green > Allen
Parker >> Conley
Duncan < Z but Tim can still give Z trouble
anyone << Gasol

Spurs Bench >> Memphis Bench

The key is to hold Z or Gasol from simultaneously getting big numbers.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Spurs played great on Sunday. Memphis was lost on defense and you've to give Spurs credit for confusing them and making them scramble on defense. I do expect Memphis to make adjustments, but that did not look pretty. I heard some say on TV that Z-Bo had a bad game and he will not have such a terrible game again...but it wasn't just him.

I picked Memphis to win in 6, but after yesterday - winning 4 in 5 games will be a big challenge for them. May the best team win.
Man spurs homers are pretty bad
[ Edited by marshniners24 on May 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:

You mean the team that's up 1-0 and had the 2nd best record in the West?

Yea, the Spurs
  • IT21
  • Veteran

Yea, the Spurs

Lol I said the same thing to my self

Yea, the Spurs

So, considering that's the Spurs status, how is it considered being a homer?
bold prediction: Grizz win tonight by 15+