There are 146 users in the forums

2012-13 General NBA Discussion Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
This was the guy I wanted in the Dwight Howard trade

Hawks should've traded Smith for Brooks and Kardashian!
D-Fish all but guarantees OKC another Finals appearance
Originally posted by jrg:
Lolwut

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8982543/sources-oklahoma-city-thunder-trying-bring-back-derek-fisher

Sources: Thunder eye Derek Fisher

The Oklahoma City Thunder are preparing to re-sign veteran guard Derek Fisher, according to sources familiar with the Thunder's thinking.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Thunder, after trading Eric Maynor away last week before the NBA's annual trade deadline, have made plans to sign Fisher, who joined the Thunder for the stretch run in March 2012 after the Los Angeles Lakers dealt Fisher to Houston.

I wouldn't laugh. His leadership played a key role in last year's series vs the Spurs. Settled OKC down.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Soooo....does Harden get some MVP love? You know, that overpaid backup scrub

Can't wait for next year if the Rockets can grab a top forward.

Naah, he is not MVP caliber. He is also no scrub. I've always felt he is a pretty darn good player...though I never thought he will be this good.

It's between Lebron and Durant...with CP3 and Anthony with a small chance.

Yeah I agree.

My pick for MVP would be Anthony. I think he fits the criteria of an NBA MVP. I wouldn't put CP3 in it though. I think its Lebron, Durant and Anthony.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Yeah I agree.

My pick for MVP would be Anthony. I think he fits the criteria of an NBA MVP. I wouldn't put CP3 in it though. I think its Lebron, Durant and Anthony.

I like Anthony as MVP - but it will be very tough for writers to vote for him for over Lebron - when Lebron has won Player of the Month in Eastern Conference every single month of the season and will definitely win again this month. Also, 'Melo doesn't play much defense, and Lebron will be once again on First team all-defense team. Knicks will have to finish as the no.1 seed for 'Melo to have a shot at it.

But, as a Lebron fan, I will have no problem with Carmelo getting the MVP. He's having an amazing season. Same for Durant.
Yeah I agree.

I like Anthony as MVP - but it will be very tough for writers to vote for him for over Lebron - when Lebron has won Player of the Month in Eastern Conference every single month of the season and will definitely win again this month. Also, 'Melo doesn't play much defense, and Lebron will be once again on First team all-defense team. Knicks will have to finish as the no.1 seed for 'Melo to have a shot at it.

But, as a Lebron fan, I will have no problem with Carmelo getting the MVP. He's having an amazing season. Same for Durant.

You are both on crack. LeBron is the best player in the league by a wide margin and no one else deserves to sniff the award. The same s**t drove me crazy when freakin' Dirk & Nash were winning MVPs over Kobe when Kobe was clearly the best player in the league.
Warriors gonna have all that cap space and expiring contracts that they'll do a sign-and-trade for LeBron James

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Yeah I agree.

You are both on crack. LeBron is the best player in the league by a wide margin and no one else deserves to sniff the award. The same s**t drove me crazy when freakin' Dirk & Nash were winning MVPs over Kobe when Kobe was clearly the best player in the league.

I don't think Nash should have won either MVP. If he averaged 15 assists per game OR 20/10 then I could understand. I'm guessing Kobe didn't win it because Lakers weren't one of the top teams in the league in regular season. I don't see any other reason.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Yeah I agree.

Award isn't for "Best Player" of the year. Its for "Most Valuable Player". I know the NBA bascially combines it into one award for some reason though.

By you saying LeBron is MVP and not even close, that logically says D-Wade and Bosh are worse players than PG Felton and Stoudemire.

LeBron is the best player, but I tihnk there is a discussion on who is MVP.

Edit:
You take LeBron of Heat and I think D-Wade and Bosh could still keep them competitive. Take Carmello off of Knicks and IMO they aren't a playoff team.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM ]

Award isn't for "Best Player" of the year. Its for "Most Valuable Player". I know the NBA bascially combines it into one award for some reason though.

By you saying LeBron is MVP and not even close, that logically says D-Wade and Bosh are worse players than PG Felton and Stoudemire.

LeBron is the best player, but I tihnk there is a discussion on who is MVP.

Edit:
You take LeBron of Heat and I think D-Wade and Bosh could still keep them competitive. Take Carmello off of Knicks and IMO they aren't a playoff team.

Disagree.

To me, "value" is the weighing of a player's positive contributions vs. their negative contributions toward the goal of the game, which is winning. The MVP is the player that has the highest net positive over the course of the season.

Adding in the teammates, which are factors that are out of the player's control, muddies the issue, IMO. Let's say that LeBron is a net +50, while Wade is a +35, and Bosh is a +20, whereas Anthony is a +35, Stoudemire is a -10, and Felton's a -15. Removing LeBron & Anthony from the equation certainly hurts NY more than MIA, but it doesn't change the fact that LeBron has more value than Carmelo.

At some point this became the "guy whose team would be hurt the most if he wasn't there" award, which is really more of a commentary on a team's supporting cast than it is the player himself. That's how we get results like Nash & Nowitzki combining for more MVPs than Shaq & Kobe.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Feb 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Lebron is without a doubt the MVP and it's not even remotely close.
Originally posted by crzy:
Lebron is without a doubt the MVP and it's not even remotely close.

Meh, I don't know about this "not even remotely close" talk. I think CP3 is in the conversation but he'd have to lead the Clippers to the #1 seed to be closer in the conversation.

1. Bron
2. CP3
3a. KD
3b. Melo
Originally posted by GameOver:
Meh, I don't know about this "not even remotely close" talk. I think CP3 is in the conversation but he'd have to lead the Clippers to the #1 seed to be closer in the conversation.

1. Bron
2. CP3
3a. KD
3b. Lee

Agreed
Tony Parker doe
Share 49ersWebzone