There are 227 users in the forums

2012 NCAA Football thread

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
A lot of great games next year but s**tz's going to be gettin much tougher . Welcome to the Pac-12 I guess. Go Utes!

Edit: Never had 2 Bye's... Interesting.

2013 Football Schedule
Aug. 29 (Thu.) Utah State
Sept. 7 Weber State
Sept. 14 Oregon State*
Sept. 21 at BYU
Sept. 28 BYE
Oct. 3 (Thu.) UCLA*
Oct. 12 Stanford*
Oct. 19 at Arizona*
Oct. 26 at USC*
Nov. 2 BYE
Nov. 9 Arizona State*
Nov. 16 at Oregon*
Nov. 23 at Washington State*
Nov. 30 Colorado*

You guys have gone 7-11 pat 2 years. PAC-12 conference records since it started:

Oregon 16-2
Stanford 16-2
USC 12-6
UCLA 11-7
Washington 10-8
ASU 9-9
Oregon State 9-9
Utah 7-11
Arizona 6-12
California 6-12
Colorado 3-15
Washington State 3-15
  • Jiks
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
A lot of great games next year but s**tz's going to be gettin much tougher . Welcome to the Pac-12 I guess. Go Utes!

2013 Football Schedule
Sept. 7 Weber State
Sept. 14 Oregon State*
Sept. 21 at BYU
Sept. 28 BYE
Oct. 3 (Thu.) UCLA*
Oct. 12 Stanford*
Oct. 19 at Arizona*
Oct. 26 at USC*
Nov. 2 BYE
Nov. 9 Arizona State*
Nov. 16 at Oregon*
Nov. 30 Colorado*

You guys have gone 7-11 pat 2 years. PAC-12 conference records since it started:

Oregon 16-2
Stanford 16-2
USC 12-6
UCLA 11-7
Washington 10-8
ASU 9-9
Oregon State 9-9
Utah 7-11
Arizona 6-12
California 6-12
Colorado 3-15
Washington State 3-15

Yeah we have really struggled early in both years, then kind of gotten it going the 2nd half. Both years we started with a fragile QB with multiple shoulder injuries. We then proceeded to play a Div II walk on up until we made the move to the true freshmen. Not sure how good Travis Wilson can be, but he played decent as freshmen the last half. I think having solidity at the QB for once would give us a couple more wins. Not to mention having the youngest OC in the nation learning. Not sure how next season is going to be, but we have a very tough stretch.

At the moment these seem about right though. "Mid" Pac, that's about right where I'd put us. Need to keep recruiting decently. I noticed how much quicker and bigger most teams are in the Pac. Compared to the MWC it's nuts. I think we're getting there, but still have a ways to go.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

2013 Football Schedule
Sept. 7 Weber State
Sept. 14 Oregon State*
Sept. 21 at BYU
Sept. 28 BYE
Oct. 3 (Thu.) UCLA*
Oct. 12 Stanford*
Oct. 19 at Arizona*
Oct. 26 at USC*
Nov. 2 BYE
Nov. 9 Arizona State*
Nov. 16 at Oregon*
Nov. 30 Colorado*

Oregon 16-2
Stanford 16-2
USC 12-6
UCLA 11-7
Washington 10-8
ASU 9-9
Oregon State 9-9
Utah 7-11
Arizona 6-12
California 6-12
Colorado 3-15
Washington State 3-15

Yeah we have really struggled early in both years, then kind of gotten it going the 2nd half. Both years we started with a fragile QB with multiple shoulder injuries. We then proceeded to play a Div II walk on up until we made the move to the true freshmen. Not sure how good Travis Wilson can be, but he played decent as freshmen the last half. I think having solidity at the QB for once would give us a couple more wins. Not to mention having the youngest OC in the nation learning. Not sure how next season is going to be, but we have a very tough stretch.

At the moment these seem about right though. "Mid" Pac, that's about right where I'd put us. Need to keep recruiting decently. I noticed how much quicker and bigger most teams are in the Pac. Compared to the MWC it's nuts. I think we're getting there, but still have a ways to go.

Yeah, Utah has done okay. The QB issue is definately what held them back first 2 years.

People are pissed about ASU's schedule. We have a 4 game stretch of Wisconsin, @ Stanford, USC, Notre Dame at neutral location
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
anxious for that 2014 playoff, but it still needs to get better....... if it started this year:

1 Notre Dame
4 Oregon

2 Alabama
3 Florida

with Kansas State, Stanford, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M on the outside looking in.

While I'm stoked they will finally be implementing a playoff. Hopefully they end up expanding to at least 8 teams. 4 teams is kinda small and like you said, a lot of good teams are left out w/ only 4.
The top 8 teams from this year would have made a great playoff. 4 teams is finally a good start but they are still way off. If an Alabama or an LSU loses 1 game they still have a great chance to be in the top 4. Other teams have to still probably go undefeated just to get in. 1 lose to a decent team shouldn't knock a team out of the Championship. The NCAA basketball tournament allows 64 teams to play for it all... NFL has 12 teams out of 32 in the playoffs... MLB sends 8 teams...
NBA sends 16 teams, etc...
College football with 100's of schools that have a football program sends 2 teams (soon to be 4) and there's really no telling what's the difference between the 11-1 teams in the top 4 and the 11-1 0r 10-2 teams ranked 5-10th...

It's makes me lose interest in college football every year because I just want to see good football games.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by KegBert:
anxious for that 2014 playoff, but it still needs to get better....... if it started this year:

1 Notre Dame
4 Oregon

2 Alabama
3 Florida

with Kansas State, Stanford, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M on the outside looking in.

While I'm stoked they will finally be implementing a playoff. Hopefully they end up expanding to at least 8 teams. 4 teams is kinda small and like you said, a lot of good teams are left out w/ only 4.
The top 8 teams from this year would have made a great playoff. 4 teams is finally a good start but they are still way off. If an Alabama or an LSU loses 1 game they still have a great chance to be in the top 4. Other teams have to still probably go undefeated just to get in. 1 lose to a decent team shouldn't knock a team out of the Championship. The NCAA basketball tournament allows 64 teams to play for it all... NFL has 12 teams out of 32 in the playoffs... MLB sends 8 teams...
NBA sends 16 teams, etc...
College football with 100's of schools that have a football program sends 2 teams (soon to be 4) and there's really no telling what's the difference between the 11-1 teams in the top 4 and the 11-1 0r 10-2 teams ranked 5-10th...

It's makes me lose interest in college football every year because I just want to see good football games.

I'll take top 8. but i think you should win your conference first.
I'll take top 8. but i think you should win your conference first.

It used to be the unwritten rule you couldn't play for the title unless you won your conference. They changed it last year so the SEC biased media and voters could accommodate Alabama.
Was looking at returning players next year and PAC-12 has the two top returning WRs (by yards) with Marquise Lee (USC) and Austin Hill (Arizona), two top RBs (by yards) with KaDeem Carey (Arizona) and the #2 returning RB in an AQ conference with Bishop Sankey (Washington). All 4 will be juniors

PAC-12 will also have the top 3 sack leaders in the nation returning (Anthony Barr, UCLA; Will Sutton, ASU; Morgan Breslin, USC). Clowney is tied with Sutton and Breslin.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM ]
Pre-season 2013 all PAC-12 team

1st Team Offense:

QB Marcus Marriota, So, Oregon
RB KaDeem Carey, Jr, Arizona
RB DeAnthony Thomas, Jr, Oregon
WR Marquise Lee, Jr, USC
WR Austin Hill, Jr, Arizona
TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Jr, Washington
OT Evan Finkenberg, Sr, Arizona State
OT John Fullington, Sr, Washington St
OG David Yankey, Sr, Stanford
OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, Jr, UCLA
C Hroniss Grasu, Jr, Oregon

2nd Team Offense

QB Brett Hundley, So, UCLA
RB Bishop Sankey, Jr, Washington
WR Kasen Williams, Jr, Washington
WR Shaq Evans, Sr, UCLA
WR Brandon Cooks, Jr, Oregon State
TE Colt Lyerla, Jr, Oregon
OT Jake Fisher, Jr, Oregon
OT Cameron Fleming, Sr, Stanford
OG John Martinez, Sr, USC
OG Grant Enger, Sr, Oregon St
C Isaac Seumalo, So, Oregon St

1st Team Defense

DE Morgan Breslin, Sr, USC
DT Will Sutton, Sr, Arizona State
DT George Uko, So, USC
DE Scott Crichton, Jr, Oregon State
LB Anthony Barr, Sr, UCLA
LB Carl Bradford, Jr, Arizona State
LB Trent Murphy, Sr, Stanford
CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Jr, Oregon
CB Alex Carter, So, Stanford
S Ed Reynolds, Sr, Stanford
S Deone Bucannon, Sr, Washington St

2nd Team Defense

DE Ben Gardner, Sr, Stanford
DT Taylor Hart, Sr, Oregon
DE Henry Anderson, Sr, Stanford
LB Chase Thomas, Sr, Stanford
LB Cyrus Coen, Jr, Washington St
LB Chris McCain, Jr, Cal
LB Dion Bailey, Jr, USC
CB Rashaad Reynolds, Sr, Oregon St
CB Terrance Mitchell, Jr, Oregon
S Jordan Richards, Jr, Stanford
S Shaq Thompson, So, Washington

By Team:
Arizona: 2 First team offensive players in juniors RB Carey and WR Hill. The team has very little talent elsewhere.
ASU: 1 First team offense, 2 First team defense. ASU has good depth with near misses that would make a 3rd team QB Kelly, TE Coyle, RB Grice, DT Hood, CB Irabor, S Darby.
Cal: 1 Second team defense. Could be a rough year, but RB Bigelow is a major sleeper who will be due for a monster year.
Colorado: 0 players made a team. But they do have some young players that should start to emerge as playmakers
Oregon: 3 First Team Offense, 2 Second Team Offense, 1 First Team Defense, 2 Second Team Defense. Oregon will be ushering in the year of Black Mamba, but the big time sleeper is the TE Lyerla who is a monster.
Oregon State: 3 Second Team Offense, 1 First Team Defense, 1 Second Team Defense. The surprise PAC-12 team will be strong again next year. Sophmore RB Storm Woods is another of the crop of emerging RBs
Stanford: 1 First Team Offense, 1 Second Team Offense, 3 First Team Defense, 4 Second Team Defense. Stanford will once again have the best D in the PAC-12. If they can find someone to get the ball to on offense they will have another great year.
UCLA: 1 First Team Offense, 2 Second Team Offense, 1 First Team Defense. An embarassing bowl game exposed UCLA's lack of defense. Without Franklin, QB Hundley is a very talented player but without immediate help will have a rough year.
USC: 1 First Team Offense, 1 Second Team Offense, 2 First Team Defense, 1 First Team Defense. The Post-Barkley era begins. Offense should be able to roll with RB Reed and WR Lee. Defense should be improved.
Utah: 0 players made a team. Utah will be in for a rough year, espicially with no apparent quality QB.
Washington: 1 First Team Offense, 2 Second Team Offense, 1 Second Team Defense. Coming off a dissapointing year, they will succeed or fail based on whether QB Price can bounce back.
Washington State: 1 First Team Offense, 1 First Team Defense, 1 Second Team Defense. Some freshman played well for this team, but they are still a long ways off.

UNIT RANKINGS

Offense
1. Oregon -as usual
2. Arizona State - bit of homerism, but with their returning players IMO they have less questions to be answered
3. USC - Max Wittek didn't look good in his debut, but too much talent on the offense
4. Oregon State - Losing Wheaton hurts, but Riley has quietly assembled the next gen of Beavers with WR Cook and RB Woods. If QB Mannion or QB Vaz can find consistency, could be a top offense.
5. UCLA - QB Hundley has an NFL future and just needs some players to play with
6. Washington - Does QB Price bounce back? If he does, Huskies can be a top 3 offense
7. Arizona - Rich Rodriguez's RB is getting charged with domestic violence. If he loses Carey, Arizona is in major trouble.
8. Cal - Sonny Dykes knows offenses and there is more talent on Cal then people realize with a senior QB, RB Bigelow and two young WRs in Chris Harper and Treggs.
9. Stanford - Pretty void of returning WRs, TEs and RBs that have proven themselves. QB Hogan is undefeated as a starter.
10. Washington State - Amazing a Leach team with so many passing yards can't score more.
11. Utah - Everything depends on the development of Travis Wilson. A RB sure could help.
12. Colorado - Reigning champions of worst offense. 3rd time in a row?

Defense
1. Stanford - Harbaugh's recruits return for one more season. Just a ton of upperclassmen talent on every level of D.
2. USC - They lost a key cornerback early to the draft, but the pieces are in place for a dominant defense
3. ASU - similar to the offense, all the key players return
4. Oregon - Lost key players in the front 7
5. Oregon State - Losing Poyer hurts, but I don't see a D better left
6. Washington - Sarkisian has added a lot of young players that are just now emerging on the depth chart
7. UCLA - A defense that failed to show up at times (see Bowl game), Mora has loaded up some young talent
8. Washington State - Leach with a defense? If his offense doesn't shoot the D in the foot, they should be decent
9. Cal - Some talent to build around, Secondary will have a lot of new faces
10. Arizona - They were an awful D, but are returning every starter. Good thing or bad thing?
11. Utah - We will see how the D holds up without a top D-Line
12. Colorado - Reigning champions of worst D. 3rd time in a row?

Projeced Final Rankings
PAC-12 Champion: Oregon

North
1. Oregon
2. Oregon State
3. Stanford
4. Washington
5. Cal
6. Washington St

South
1. ASU
2. USC
3. UCLA
4. Arizona
5. Utah
6. Colorado
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM ]
Barry Sanders Jr. is going to be playing for Stanford next year. That could be a new wrinkle that puts them over the top in their hunt for the nat'l title, especially now that Chip is gone.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

http://USCFootball.com is reporting that ex Cal DC Clancy Pendergast is about to be #USC new defensive coordinator

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Originally posted by Byisgod:
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

holy s**t
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Byisgod:

holy s**t

i think he made this crap up to try to sway the voters to win the heisman
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

RT @EyeOnCFB: Texas OC Major Applewhite "engaged in inappropriate, consensual behavior with an adult student" http://cbsprt.co/UbuIGU
Share 49ersWebzone