LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

2011-12 College Football Coaching Carousel

• Jcool
  • Veteran
footballscoop FootballScoop Staff

RT @SPORTSbyBROOKS: Just told by source w/ knowledge of the situation that ASU prepared to offer Sumlin $4 million per year.

WOW!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Was just told that ASU had another "emergency" meeting this morning (a near daily occurrence over the past 10 days). They have approved up to $5M per year for the "right" coach. They are going after Pete Carroll along with Sumlin. Evidently, Carroll's representatives informed ASU he was willing to leave the NFL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Was just told that ASU had another "emergency" meeting this morning (a near daily occurrence over the past 10 days). They have approved up to $5M per year for the "right" coach. They are going after Pete Carroll along with Sumlin. Evidently, Carroll's representatives informed ASU he was willing to leave the NFL.

not sure Carroll would leave the NFL this quickly especially after last nights game.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Auburn OC Malzahn interviews at UNC

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Malzahn-interviews-at-UNC-51326

What? Pete Carroll wants to leave the NFL already? I don't think I trust your source, at least not yet.

And not sure I'd even want Carroll, he left USC with sanctions. Bringing him here would dirty our reputation and we would be under a microscope. Remember our basball program is in the doghouse already and if our football program starts committing violations, the NCAA will come down on us BIG time.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
What? Pete Carroll wants to leave the NFL already? I don't think I trust your source, at least not yet.

And not sure I'd even want Carroll, he left USC with sanctions. Bringing him here would dirty our reputation and we would be under a microscope. Remember our basball program is in the doghouse already and if our football program starts committing violations, the NCAA will come down on us BIG time.

The colleague of mine is on the athletic department's budgetary board, so he has a vote and is in on all of the financially focused meetings.

Love asked for $5M specifically to go after Carroll. She did not mention, nor gain approval, to go after anybody else at that dollar figure. Evidently, she made it known that Carroll was open to coming back. Why, I'm unsure. Maybe he just prefers the college game. But that's just a guess.

I agree it's a risk, given his track record. But ASU is trying to make a big splash to save their recruiting base, immediately energize fans, and maintain superiority in at least one major program over U of A. They've conceded basketball. Love said if they need to replace Sendek at season's end, she will unlikely be able to replace him with a similarly high profile candidate. Football is their focus.

ASU has been labeled as cheap and uninspired in recent years. Internally, Crow has acknowledged as much. So they're trying to turn heads, even if it's a risk.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
schadjoe Joe Schad

Chris Petersen told UCLA no thanks and it did have nothing to do w permission. Briefly last night a headline didn't match my report.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
footballscoop FootballScoop Staff

Mike Sherman's presser about to start. We've got the live stream down in the video section here: footballscoop.com
I read Sherman found out he was fired during a visit when the recruit's mom told him about, you wanna talk about embarrassing
The colleague of mine is on the athletic department's budgetary board, so he has a vote and is in on all of the financially focused meetings.

Love asked for $5M specifically to go after Carroll. She did not mention, nor gain approval, to go after anybody else at that dollar figure. Evidently, she made it known that Carroll was open to coming back. Why, I'm unsure. Maybe he just prefers the college game. But that's just a guess.

I agree it's a risk, given his track record. But ASU is trying to make a big splash to save their recruiting base, immediately energize fans, and maintain superiority in at least one major program over U of A. They've conceded basketball. Love said if they need to replace Sendek at season's end, she will unlikely be able to replace him with a similarly high profile candidate. Football is their focus.

ASU has been labeled as cheap and uninspired in recent years. Internally, Crow has acknowledged as much. So they're trying to turn heads, even if it's a risk.

Then everybody on ASU's athletics board needs to, that sounds like lousy leadership.

I don't give a s**t about publicity or headlines, I want a coach that can win and not put us in probations.

This whole "turn heads" idea is just most pitiful and pathetic thing ASU could do. Tell your friend to pull his head out of his ass and focus on building a winning program, not a popularity contest.

And save our recruiting base? What are you talking about? We've lost like 2 recruits and most of the recruiting was done by Broussard and if he stays, most likely the recruits will. Geeze, all this focus on "high profile" is just downwright pathetic....its not about "high profile" its about f**king wins!!!!

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Arizona St. Ends Talks With Sumlins Agent

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/111202-arizona-st.-ends-talks-with-sumlin%27s-agent
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Illinois AD Mike Thomas in Indy, expected to interview up to 4 candidates this weekend -- 2 assistants and 2 current head coaches. #illini

http://twitter.com/studurando
Originally posted by Jcool:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/ncaa_football/111202-arizona-st.-ends-talks-with-sumlin%27s-agent

I saw this coming. ASU can't compete with A&M for a coach.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
@BWISnyder: BWI's Phil Grosz has confirmed Dan Mullen will interview for #PennState job on Monday
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by Jcool:

I saw this coming. ASU can't compete with A&M for a coach.

Damn, that sucks. I dunno, is A&M even really going after him? I know their fan base will be PISSED if they hire Sumlin, their fan base does not think much of Sumlin.

Hmmmm....I guess its Fedora time. But I doubt we can get him as well, he is rumored to be being pursued by Kansas and Univ of Miss.
Share 49ersWebzone