LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

San Antonio Spurs Short Season 2011-2012**

Originally posted by 49erstrandedinclev:
It is really annoying me that we are not considered a contender. Look at our record and quit sucking up to the Lakers.

I like how we always fly under the radar. Put the pressure on the so called "contenders"
Originally posted by dobo:
Spurs on fire, number 1 in the West. They play the Lakers three times over the next couple weeks, can't wait to see how they match up.

Finally knock pass OKC up for the top spot.
Duncan not thinking about retirement: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Avyx_WU3UVGg9u46YivCPKy8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_tim_duncan_spears_retire_return040512

I say sign him to a 2 year deal with the 2nd season being a player/team option.

I can live with two more years of Timmy!
Looks like Pop decided to rest a few guys tonight. Just goes to show more concerned about resting guys and be ready for the playoffs than seeding.
Man! Can't believe they are not going to televise two of the hottest teams since the All Star break.

This is going to be a nice little test for both teams. Can the Spurs handle length and box out and can the Lakers keep it together to beat a well-oiled machine?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Man! Can't believe they are not going to televise two of the hottest teams since the All Star break.

This is going to be a nice little test for both teams. Can the Spurs handle length and box out and can the Lakers keep it together to beat a well-oiled machine?

yeah that sucks how do you show warriors vs blazers over spurs vs lakers
Looks like pop gave parker another night off because it looks like someone else is playing in his place by the stats
Looks like pop gave parker another night off because it looks like someone else is playing in his place by the stats

Listened to it on the radio. Second chance opportunities and Parker going cold killed us.
Can't wait for the playoffs

Listened to it on the radio. Second chance opportunities and Parker going cold killed us.

That will do it as long as there were no injuries that's main thing right now.

That will do it as long as there were no injuries that's main thing right now.

So true. I don't think we have gone into a Playoffs healthy for 3 years now. Pop should just do a rest rotation of the big three from here on.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Can't wait for the playoffs

You guys just need to avoid the big front lines (i.e. Lakers & Memphis) as long as possible and you'll be fine. Although a 2nd Round matchup vs. the Lakers seems likely at this point.
I agree with this, though I think .. er, hope ... Pop is planning to deploy some Duncan-Splitter lineups when necessary.

I was wondering if we'd see that duo last night, but if we did it wasn't for more than a couple of minutes.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I agree with this, though I think .. er, hope ... Pop is planning to deploy some Duncan-Splitter lineups when necessary.

I was wondering if we'd see that duo last night, but if we did it wasn't for more than a couple of minutes.

For some reason Pop has decided to almost never put them on the floor at the same time. Pop is a great coach and is good at making adjustments when absolutely necessary, but to him the importance of system and "corporate knowledge" tend to overwhelm all other considerations. The system in place prioritizes spacing, so that means mucho minutes for Bonner or whatever SF is convenient as a small ball 4.

My hope is that this is just to collect Ws in the regular season. Any playoff team, esp. one with a formidable frontline, can exploit this rigidity and negate whatever advantage Bonner provides. If the team is healthy, I suspect Pop will be able to acknowledge that different teams require different strategies in a playoff series. Of course he knows that.

edit: Pop has been chasing the ghost of Robert Horry since he retired; Bonner is a homeless man's Robert Horry

We've been missing that 6'10 to 7'0 dirty work guy who understands the game since Horry. Splitter has been disappointing.
Nah, Splitter is good. Probably the 4th best player on the team. He's not a stretch 4 like Horry, so the comparison kinda falls apart.

Parker
Manu
Leonard
Splitter
Duncan

That would be a helluva finishing 5 against the Lakers or the Grizzlies, IMO. Height, defense, toughness.

Bad spacing though. That team would have tremendous difficulty scoring. You're not going to "out-big" the Lakers. I think you gotta have Stephen Jackson in there instead of Leonard if you're going to run Splitter & Duncan together, but then either Manu or S-Jax have to guard Kobe, which they're not well equipped to do.
Share 49ersWebzone