49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 610 users in the forums

2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

  • VDSF
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,971
Originally posted by socalfan21:
basketball reasons... (facepalm)

LakersNation Lakers Nation
David Stern: "Hey Chris Paul why aren't you reporting to Hornets camp tomorrow?" Chris Paul: "Basketball reasons.

I stole this from a Laker fan, but I LOL'd.

David Stern, speaking with Chris Paul tonight.


Here's your smoking gun, Reign. This is an email from Dan Gilbert to Stern, proving that his reasoning for wanting the deal blocked has nothing to do with his concern for the Hornets and everything to do with his concern for his team. Talk about a conflict of interest!

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn't appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don't see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

LMAO at Lamar Odom hella crying after he found out he was getting traded.
BTW, the idea that the Lakers are "saving money" on this trade is hilarious. That only happens if they don't extend CP3.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 40,285
that's a real letter?
Originally posted by crzy:
that's a real letter?

Yep. Wojnarowski just posted it. Gilbert sent it to Stern, Adam Silver, and some other owners. It got out with the quickness.

I don't know what the legal definition of collusion is, but it sure feels that way from a layperson's point of view.

Stern may have just pulled his greatest trick of all...making the Lakers into sympathetic victims.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 40,285
But don't the other 29 owners technically own the Hornets.

And I don't get Gilbert's quip about changing 25 teams to washington gnerals.
Originally posted by crzy:
But don't the other 29 owners technically own the Hornets.

And I don't get Gilbert's quip about changing 25 teams to washington gnerals.

He's saying that there are gonna be 5 superteams and everyone else is gonna be fodder for them. The Washington Generals were the team that the Harlem Globetrotters would play/beat every night.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 40,285
I wonder how that letter got out. Dan Gilbert's gotta stop leaking his damn letters to the press.
Life is Good Now. where is MRKittyKat?
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Ridiculously, unbelievably, steaming mad, obviously.


The Lakers are doing what they do. What they've always done. Get better and win. The logic being spewed by andes is absolutely haterism in it's true form. Wouldn't be happy if they won the next 10 championships??

GTFOutta here!!

Whatever, you could trade Luke Walton for Chris Paul, Matt Barnes for LBJ, Steve Blake for Dwight Howard, and Ron Artest for Blake Griffin and win tons of championships, but that's not really the LAKERS winning it all, how do you not feel me at all on this? Like I said about our very Niners, winning ONE championship with our core that WE brought into the league and WE developed (Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Crabtree, Vernon, Delanie, Staley, Iupati, Anthony Davis, RayMac, Sopoaga, Willis, Bowman, Haralson, Aldon Smith, T. Brown, Culliver, Goldson, etc....Rogers and J. Smith being the only real players of note that were developed elsewhere) would mean SOOO much more and be SOOO much more special than if GB, DET, NYJ, and DAL just donated Rodgers, Johnson, Revis, and Ware to us and we won the next TEN. I want to see the guys that I saw with my own eyes develop from day 1 as 21-22 year olds win it all. Do you place no value on winning with homegrown Lakers? Winning because you acquired guys for way less than market value because they held their team hostage just seems so tainted. And I have listed so many teams that have done it the right way. The Packers, the Steelers, the Patriots, the Montana/Young Niners (and hopefully the current squad), the Bulls, the Spurs, etc. I would never want to win the way the Lakers are trying to, or like how the Yankees have.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
so why the f**k cant owners break up the 3 clowns in miami?? this is f**king bs

They signed as free agents. They were not traded.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
LMAO at Lamar Odom hella crying after he found out he was getting traded.

I heard him on the rad today, he's crying like a BIG 7ft baby!! wah wah wah. They tried to trade me because of my wife and my show on TV. HAHAHA O My!
Dan Gilbert's letter is GOLD
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone