LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by susweel:
Isn't Paul injured a lot ?

Yeah, this was a horrible move for the Lakers.
This is one hell of a trade for LA.
Considering if the Howard deal goes down.

The Lakers havent needed that star PG, because they ran the Triangle Offense.
Now, without the Triangle, they picked up one of the best point guards of this decade, and hes young.
They gave up and old Odom, (who was off the bench last year) and a old Gasol, and they still keep Bynum, who is young.

Now if they can trade Bynum for Howard, the Lakers would be deadly. Great trade IMO.
That would be awesome if howard was also trade to LA and they both didn't resign.
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:

Now, without the Triangle, they picked up one of the best point guards of this decade, and hes young.
They gave up and old Odom, (who was off the bench last year) and a old Gasol, and they still keep Bynum, who is young.

Now if they can trade Bynum for Howard, the Lakers would be deadly. Great trade IMO.

Yeah, I think it's a great trade in everyone's opinion. Getting the best PG and best C in the league is nice.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Yeah, I think it's a great trade in everyone's opinion. Getting the best PG and best C in the league is nice.

Even if they cant land Howard, keeping Bynum is what made this trade great.
Obv losing Pau is big for them, but he was fatigued big last year, couldnt play his best.
Now with this 66 game schedule, its gonna happen again, and hes gonna get another year older.
Bynum is 7 years younger, which means they still have young talent and a big man.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Unless we get Howard this is a bad move.
Why does everyone think the Magic will trade Howard for Bynum...I bet every team in the league would make Orlando a more enticing offer than just Bynum...and don't gimme the crap that it's because that's where he wants to play and is willing to sign an extension there, because if that were the case, why even offer Bynum then? They could just offer a 2035 2nd round pick because from Orlando's POV, technically that's better than losing him for nothing.

Unless we get Howard this is a bad move.

Lol... For a sec I thought you were serious.
Originally posted by andes14:
Why does everyone think the Magic will trade Howard for Bynum...I bet every team in the league would make Orlando a more enticing offer than just Bynum...and don't gimme the crap that it's because that's where he wants to play and is willing to sign an extension there, because if that were the case, why even offer Bynum then? They could just offer a 2035 2nd round pick because from Orlando's POV, technically that's better than losing him for nothing.

There's rumors going around Lakers have a package for Howard ready. We'll just wait and see
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

They dont have much of a choice, he pretty much controls where he wants to go.

What do you mean? Howard will pick where he wants to sign long term. Therefore, only teams with a chance of signing him are in the discussion. Out of those teams, the Magic have to choose the best offer. And Bynum is a stud center who still has a major upside. There is probably more to the deal also.
Whoa, this trade i'm indifferent on right now. On the one hand, we've got the best backcourt and the 2 most competitive dudes in the league in the same backcourt. On the other hand bare bones frontcourt for the first five games and then a glaring need even after that. But we can find solace within this deal. It's being reported it comes with a $9 mil trade exception this can be used to lure a pf, perhaps somebody like Kris Humphries. However, where the beauty lays in this trade is that it is the personification of the triangle offense. It's the pass before the pass, it's the precursor to remaking the team on the fly. Remember, Lakers have historically reloaded as opposed to rebuilt. Short term set back for long term gain, I think that's what we're dealing with. Paul's no slouch. Great for what we needed, the perfect fit really, but now we need another piece and I don't doubt that it'll come.
[ Edited by JDeezy on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM ]
There's rumors going around Lakers have a package for Howard ready. We'll just wait and see

If that does happen, Laker fans shouldn't even be happy even if they were to win it all. It'd be like the Yankees - just BUYING championships...is BUYING something really ACCOMPLISHING something? It's like the Yankees. All their world series' are all hollow and meaningless. They let other teams develop players and then just take them. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I think championships mean more when most of the core are guys YOU brought into the league and guys YOU developed. Like the Mavs this year (though a lot of their talent such as JET, Chandler, and Marion used to be on other teams, they were non-superstar talents that DAL legitimately acquired and were able to get more than the sum of the parts out of...also, as for J-Kidd, he WAS brought into the league by them ). Like the Spurs. Like the Bulls of the 90's. Like the Patriots. Like the Steelers. Like the Packers are doing. Like the 49ers of yesteryear (and hopefully now once again). If the Niners traded 7th round picks for Aaron Rodgers and DeMarcus Ware and Darrelle Revis and Calvin Johnson and then won the next 10 super bowls, I wouldn't even be happy. Winning just one with this current squad would mean exponentially more than winning a million with that fairytale squad. Anybody feel me on that?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think the Lakers gave up too much in this deal. Two quality bigs for a good pg is not worth it. We better get something else back in return or I has a sad.
If that does happen, Laker fans shouldn't even be happy even if they were to win it all. It'd be like the Yankees - just BUYING championships...is BUYING something really ACCOMPLISHING something? It's like the Yankees. All their world series' are all hollow and meaningless. They let other teams develop players and then just take them. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I think championships mean more when most of the core are guys YOU brought into the league and guys YOU developed. Like the Mavs this year (though a lot of their talent such as JET, Chandler, and Marion used to be on other teams, they were non-superstar talents that DAL legitimately acquired and were able to get more than the sum of the parts out of...also, as for J-Kidd, he WAS brought into the league by them ). Like the Spurs. Like the Bulls of the 90's. Like the Patriots. Like the Steelers. Like the Packers are doing. Like the 49ers of yesteryear (and hopefully now once again). If the Niners traded 7th round picks for Aaron Rodgers and DeMarcus Ware and Darrelle Revis and Calvin Johnson and then won the next 10 super bowls, I wouldn't even be happy. Winning just one with this current squad would mean exponentially more than winning a million with that fairytale squad. Anybody feel me on that?

I don't see the analogy. Lakers are using their assets to accumulate better assets. They've done this historically. It's why some teams win 16 championships and others none. Dallas did the same thing those guys they got were all former all stars, just superstars.
Share 49ersWebzone