LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

University Of Miami Scandal

I think if we start about 1-5 we should dangle him in trades because I feel this year is it for Frank!! I mean why not? rebuild is already in play anyways!!!
dont care
Originally posted by RogueStout:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
It sounds like Shapiro is trying to parlay his story into a book or something. When I heard about this, I wondered what this guy could possibly gain from throwing so many people under the bus. Maybe he got into a nice batch of pruno in la pinta? Probably just wants money and attention though.

No death penalty. But send out a clear message that this isn't okay, not in the least. Not that I would have complained if I was a player getting fellatials from a dimepiece.

What does that mean?

Maybe he drank some homemade booze in prison (and then spilled the beans when he was boozy)
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
It sounds like Shapiro is trying to parlay his story into a book or something. When I heard about this, I wondered what this guy could possibly gain from throwing so many people under the bus. Maybe he got into a nice batch of pruno in la pinta? Probably just wants money and attention though.

No death penalty. But send out a clear message that this isn't okay, not in the least. Not that I would have complained if I was a player getting fellatials from a dimepiece.

What does that mean?

he drank homeade wine in jail
Who wouldn't take the money in that situation? Frank was really poor growing up. Good job Frank, move on.
While I don't disagree that this occurs at some level at all the big programs, these allegations sound quite a bit more severe than the USC or Ohio State situations. Over 70 players receiving improper benefits, possibly dozens of coaches aware or even complicit, 2 first round draft picks signing with the booster's own agency, not to mention the fact that anything that happened before 2008 counts as a repeat offence for the U.

The NCAA will do everything they can to avoid giving Miami the Death Penatly, but this seems to be bad enough to deserve it.

Edit: Sounds like only 6 coaches. Thought I'd read it was 13, and the NCAA had confirmed more than the initial Yahoo investigation.
[ Edited by Digger on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM ]
I hope so.
I think they should get the death penalty but it won't happen. Regardless...they are going to get very very heavy penalties if found guilty. It might as well be the death penalty because with UF and FSU...they will have to scrap the bottom of the barrel for recruits. If I were Al Golden...I would jump ship before it sinks.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by area49:
Apparently, Frank Gore was one of dozens of UM players who had contact with Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Aic6wnIFmVeXyJlF_4t1vkFRMuB_?slug=ys-frank_gore_allegations

maybe they should move Miami U to LA!

Kidding, hope it isnt true. But if it is, nothing you can do about it now.

Maybe they should merge the 2 schools and form one super school...The University of Miami in Southern California by way of Los Angeles or UMSCLA for short
No. I don't think you will ever see the death penalty leveled on a program again. SMU still has not recovered from that, decades later.

Also it is debatable that SMU did "far less" than what is being described with regards to Miami. Certainly the sums are lower, but that was a long time ago, and sports bring in an incomparable level of money now. SMU was a habitual offender, and they were caught, warned and penalized multiple times before they got the ultimate hammer. They barely even tried to hide what they were doing and were absolutely flagrant.

I agree with you overall. If the reports are correct...individuals in the Miami org knew about it. I doubt they would call out someone who was given them a lot of money at the time. The other issue is...I believe they were already in trouble with the NCAA when these "scandals" were occurring and not to mention that some of the benefits were illegal. These accusations are already very hurtful but the key is if the NCAA views them as a repeat offender. I believe the NCAA is probably going to drop a GIANT size hammer down on Miami to set an example. All Miami can do now is sit and wait.

Their football program is already struggling. Recruiting has taken a big hit due to their struggles and now I expect to see a significant drop off. With UF and FSU recruiting fairly strong and other teams across the nation trying to steal talent from south florida. Even if Miami doesn't get the death penalty...they have a significant up-hill battle.

HELL YES!!!!! FSU is gonna take over the state of florida regardless anyways, just cant stand miami
Sad to see The U struggling so bad, and I agree with others that regardless of how severe the punishment is they will have a steep uphill battle to get back to the top of CFB and hang with the big boys. UF recruits extremely well, and FSU is KILLING it lately
Ken Dorsey took full advantage
I'll preface this my admitting I am I diehard U fan...and I work at ESPN which is known to over-blow certain issues.

However, there are several points that need to be made about this story.
1.) Nevin Shapiro is a convicted felon and although I'm not denying what he says it true...he has a lot to gain by reporting these massive violations. A lot still needs to be sorted out and its difficult to prove the administration at Miami had knowledge of the violations. Also, all of the coaches involved and the Athletic Director are no longer at Miami.

2.) When SMU got the death penalty their was blatant disreguard for the rules...lack of institutional control...and even the governor of the state of Texas was involved. They would never have gotten the death penalty if the AD did not completely show his cards in a news interview where he indirectly admitted sending money to players in his personal envelopes.

3.) The NCAA said after the affects of the death penalty on SMU that they would basically never give that penalty again unless the case was so egregious there was no other option. I'm not sure if they are willing to go down that road again. However SMU as no where near the type of football school Miami is. I don't think if Miami is given the death penalty they would be as bad a SMU was for so many years. Not with that alumni base and history.

4.) Finally, I believe this may be the signal that finally gets the NCAA to completely erase the current rules system and start from scratch. I hope no one is naive enough to believe Miami is the only place this is happening. We've hear many experts go on record saying over 50 programs and all of the top programs practice shady recruiting because in the end winning cures everything. Ohio St gets busted, USC gets busted, UNC gets busted, now Miami gets busted...and many other programs across the country are on some sort of probation for recruiting violations. Clearly there needs to be a change in the rules and ultimately I think college athletics, if operated as a multi million dollar business, needs a total re-haul of its operation.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
the death penalty?! wtf did they do?!
Share 49ersWebzone