LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

University Of Miami Scandal

Just like Rogue said, I doubt we will see the death penalty again. However, if this keeps going further down the rabbit hole, I wouldn't be surprised.
Not sure but they are in huge trouble.
Most of the star athletes have forsaken material gain and would rather spend their time in the library or down at the chess club than to get bus tokens, a free sandwich or access to unattractive and uninterested women.
Definitely not. I would hate to see the U turn into SMU. Although, I do think they should get a stiffer punishment than what USC got.
No, the NCAA learned it's lesson with SMU.
If true, and I think they probably are close, they should get a very big penalty. Not death, but bigger than USC's.

The real issue is not schools doing this, cause more are than not,(maybe not this scale) but the NCAA better fix this by amending the rules quickly. The said they would last week...they better hurry.
Originally posted by area49:
Apparently, Frank Gore was one of dozens of UM players who had contact with Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news;_ylt=Aic6wnIFmVeXyJlF_4t1vkFRMuB_?slug=ys-frank_gore_allegations

maybe they should move Miami U to LA!

Kidding, hope it isnt true. But if it is, nothing you can do about it now.
Good for him. I would do the same thing, if I were in his position.
[ Edited by niners94 on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:16 AM ]
well atleast he was not mentioned as the player to get a stripper pregnant and then having it aborted by the booster....

“I was doing him a favor,” the booster said. “That idiot might have wanted to keep [the baby].”
It sounds like Shapiro is trying to parlay his story into a book or something. When I heard about this, I wondered what this guy could possibly gain from throwing so many people under the bus. Maybe he got into a nice batch of pruno in la pinta? Probably just wants money and attention though.

No death penalty. But send out a clear message that this isn't okay, not in the least. Not that I would have complained if I was a player getting fellatials from a dimepiece.

This is not shocking. I'd be willing to wager that all the most prominent athletes at any major University are receiving something from a booster, agent, etc.
Where have you been for the past 60-70 years?? This is common practice for most major universities - primarily in regard to the "money" sports like football and mens basketball. Boosters have been gifts and favors to athletes dating back to the 1930's. The "U" tends to stay on the radar thanks to their flamboyant persona and people like Luther Campbell (2 LIve Crew) attaching themselves to the program back in UofMiami's high-flying 1980's.

Shaprio is just another 5' 5", puny white guy with a "Napolean Complex". Wanted to align himself with a program with a "tough" and "gangster" rep and used illicit gains from his multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme to buy his way into UofMiami's inner circle. Lots of coaches and admin's were well aware of the shenanigans and even took part. School President Shalala has always been beneath reproach and is fully aware of these activities. Feel sorry for 1st year coach Al Golden. Did a great job turning Temple around, and now walks into this quagmire.

Never a question of "what school did what"....Just a question of which school is going to get caught next.....
Who cares at this point? Crack down on recent events pertaining all they want. Gore's been long gone from those days for a long time now. Leave him the fu*k alone.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
To watch these big time college programs make millions in ads, memorabilia, and bowl games, with the ADs making 7 figures, while a guy can't even trade a tattoo for a gear is hypocrisy of the highest order. These kids are all adults, over the age of 18 and should be able to get some kind of stipend beyond bare tuition.

agree

this
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
It sounds like Shapiro is trying to parlay his story into a book or something. When I heard about this, I wondered what this guy could possibly gain from throwing so many people under the bus. Maybe he got into a nice batch of pruno in la pinta? Probably just wants money and attention though.

No death penalty. But send out a clear message that this isn't okay, not in the least. Not that I would have complained if I was a player getting fellatials from a dimepiece.

What does that mean?
Share 49ersWebzone